Start by marking “Tomorrow's Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow's Alphabet

Tomorrow's Alphabet

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A is for seed, B is for eggs, C is for milk -- what's going on here? The seed is tomorrows Apple, the eggs are tomorrows Birds, the milk is tomorrows Cheese! Explore a wonderful world of possibility with an imaginative alphabet puzzle that encouraged young readers to look beyond the obvious.
Published April 15th 1996 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Alphabet

Kathryn
My kids randomly picked this off the shelf at the library (this is how they choose books, so we often end up with some ...interesting... selections).

Perhaps it is my slight OCD nature, but this book really bugged me. I understand the point and why some would call it "clever", but I think it has the potential to be confusing for some children as to what letter/sound actually begins certain words. In my opinion, this issue could have been avoided by some slight rewording.

For example, the letter "
Ronda
This title offers so etching that other alphabet books do not. It provides a familiar framework (the ABCs) on which to build prediction, spelling, pattern recognition, and vocabulary skills depending on how you use it. By showing the pictures only one page at a time, you can play up the puzzle factor. " A is for seed"? What? How can it be for seed--there are no As in "seed"! It doesn't take many pages for the students to get the concept---the item in the "tomorrow" category starts with the lette ...more
Joey Zadina
This book is wonderful as a beginning reader book because it has only a few words on each page, but unlike most alphabet books, it actually does have a way of teaching kids things by having one thing listed that might turn into another thing tomorrow. For instance, grain is listed but then it also mentions that it could be bread tomorrow. This book tells these things in a few words and is great for a beginning reader.
As a read aloud this book could be read when studying with young children how
Kathryn Edmunds
Summary: This book goes through the alphabet listing things that begin with the letter on the page.

Genre: Alphabet Storybook

Curriculum Connection: This book could be used to introduce or review the alphabet to students. After students are read the story, they can be given a flipbook that has one letter on each page. Then, they can come up with their own picture to go with the letter.

Personal Opinion: I thought this was a cute story because every page had some sort of cause and effect. You start
Allison Webster
1. This book belongs in the Alphabet genre.

2. Concept book and alphabet book all in one! This book combines higher order thinking with simple alphabet concepts that creates an alphabet book that isn't as simple as A, B, C.

3. The area for critique is style.

The large sized book offers a two page spread for each letter. The high impact illustrations clearly communicates the harder concepts to young or non-readers. The letters in question are bold, large, and attention grabbing.

All of these elemen
Katelyn
1. ABC

2. This is a quick ABC book that shows a letter of the alphabet, and an example of something that will grow or turn into something that begins with the letter. For example: - A is for seed, tomorrow’s Apple.

3. A - The illustrations are decent, but the concept may be hard for some children to follow. It really depends on the child, or group of children who are listening and reading the book.

B- There was nothing particularly strong or weak about this book. It has the letters of the alphab
Steven Reid
1. Genre: Alphabet
2. This book goes through the alphabet, naming objects that turn into the things beginning with that particular letter of the alphabet.
3a. Accuracy
3b. This book is very accurate about what items become what objects "tomorrow". George Shannon did not make any informational errors. The only problem I see with the accuracy of this book is how it appears to show that there is only one possibility for several items to become, when in fact it can become quite a few things. Overall, I
Laurie
Citation: Tomorrow’s Alphabet, by George Shannon. (Greenwillow Books, 1996). 56p. Alphabet Concept Book.

Summary: This creative take on the traditional alphabet invites the reader to imagine the possibilities of tomorrow. The letters are linked to the item of the future, not the present, challenging the young reader to think ahead.

Critique: (a.) This book successfully illustrates the theme of change. Vibrant watercolors and clear graphic text allow the reader’s thought to take center stage. The p
Connie
This book is probably a little advanced for kids who are still trying to figure out A = apple, b = ball, c = cat. (Or maybe not. Sometimes children surprise you!) Instead of a being for apple, it's for seed - TOMORROW'S apple. H is for yarn - TOMORROW'S hat. So kids have to think a little bit about each example.

Still, even with the slightly novel approach, the book is pretty straightforward. Example and tomorrow example are given on opposite pages of the same spread (so you can see the answer be
Nicole Disilvestro
1. I would classify this book as an alphabet book.
2. This book teaches the alphabet in a way where connects letters with different objects that relate to something happening “tomorrow”
3. (a) I think this is a very accurate alphabet book. It connects letters with objects that begins with the letter. It creates a really cute story that is very organized for the concept of an alphabet book.
(B) I think this is a very appropriate alphabet book. It uses the connection of the letters and the different
Nicole Lamb
Picture Book Critique #14

Written By: George Shannon
Illustrated By: Donald Crews

1. Picture Book Genre: Alphabet

2. Brief Summary: George Shannon takes a clever twist on a traditional alphabet picture book in Tomorrow’s Alphabet by first stating the letter and showing an element that would turn into the word used on the next page, for example: K is for tomato – tomorrow’s Ketchup and M is for caterpillar – tomorrow’s Moth. Shannon’s alphabet book uses both scientific elements an
Mae
Genre: Alphabet Book
Summary: This unusual alphabet book goes beyond "A is for Apple" inviting the reader to look at what comes before the apple and before the x-ray. Each page is a single letter with the right side devoted to the letter and the left side to what the letter object was previously.
Criteria: This book uses the alphabet "as an organizational device for conveying concepts.(Johnson, 73)" In this case the concept is the past - more specifically that things change over time.
Critique: Ge
Courtney
Genre: This is an alphabet picture book
Summary: This alphabet book takes a different approach to learning about the alphabet. Instead of just a word for each letter, there are beginnings to what become tomorrow’s word.

Critique:
a. The area for critique is the creativity while using the alphabet and the use of other concepts along with learning about the alphabet.
b. Not all alphabet books are created equally and this book is definitely different, which is where its true strength can be found. Eac

1- Genre: Alphabet

2- Shannon presents the alphabet in a new way compared to the traditional way one is use to seeing an alphabet book. He uses what we see today and adds a higher level of thinking to the reader and presents what it turns into forming the next letter in the alphabet.

3- (a) The ability of the illustrator to show texture within the illustrations.
(b) On every page the illustrator shows great depth and texture to each illustration that is presented to the reader.
Alicia

Genre: Alphabet

Summary: Tomorrow’s Alphabet is an unconventional journey that uses words in their secondary form in connection with the coinciding letter in the alphabet.

A. Area for Comment: Style

B. The simplicity of the word choice and images represent a greater concept of how one object can become another. The images, though not the most artistic, are drawn to an understandable degree and prompt students to picture read the text and make connections to the letter in the alphabet. The letter an
Lacey Luce
By George Shannon
Shannon , G. (1996). Tomorrow's alphabet. New York: Greenwillow Books.

1. Alphabet Picture Book

2. This alphabet book takes a new twist. Instead of simply saying A is for Apple, this clever book takes a look into tomorrow’s alphabet. What A might stand for today might not be what it will stand for tomorrow.

3. Style

b. This book does a great job a laying out the style for the story. Each letter of the alphabet has it’s own two page spread. This gives the reade
Chris Connolly
Category (Alphabet book)
Found on pg.73 in the textbook

Description

1. A is for tomorrow's apple; B is for tomorrow's birds. If one were to get the inclination, T is for grade for tomorrow's test, or T is for person for tomorrow's teacher. Any word can be created to with this book as the imagination can work without restrictions. Shannon's book sparks the genius in every child.

Possible use for the classroom

2. Teachers can give to groups of students time to create their own list of words for the al
Jeffrey
1. Genre: Alphabet
2. Summary: The book relates to the reader the alphabet by making a connection of one object to “tomorrow’s” object. The tomorrow object starts with the letter being represented.
A. Area of Content: Style
A unique way of writing an alphabet book, the author makes a gamble that the reader will not be confused by the initial objects not matching the letter being denoted.
B. George Shannon’s writing style is the crux of this book because it all hinges on the reader understanding the
Samantha Duncan
1. Genre: Children's book - Alphabet
2. This book is a great example of the alphabet. The author uses the idea of "tomorrow's" things to show the letters. For example, for the letter "M" it's a caterpillar for tomorrows Moth.
3. (A) Area for comment: Accuracy
(B) This children's book is not only informational for the alphabet, but the use of scientific knowledge really puts the accuracy into it. The knowledge base that this book covers is great and it's a good book for children to learn more than
Candice
1. Genre: Alphabet Picture Book
2. Summary: This is not a normal alpahbet book, where it shows the letter a is for apple. In this book, it shows the reader to look beyond what is obviously there, by seeing what has to come before.
3. Critique:
a)Accuracy
b)The content in this book is understandable and accurate. An apple is created by a seed, therefore the seed is tomorrow or future apple. This is the construction of the entire book.
c)For example, before a puppy turns into a dog. It shows the r
Jerissa
The book opens with pictures of a seed and an apple. One side of the page reads "A is for seed--" The opposite side reads "tomorrow's apple." George Shannon and David Crews present a clever spin on the alphabet book. Each letter is displayed prominently and colorfully and is well supported by the illustrations. I think this book could have been more effective if the structure enabled readers to guess what tomorrow's version was. For instance, "A is for seed--" should be on the right side of the ...more
Alicia
This is a book that requires readers to make a connection to before/after relationships and best suited for grades K-3. It would work well in a lesson to determine the action that causes tomorrow's alphabet (I.e. a person must carve a pumpkin to get a jack olantern).
Meredith Trotter
Publication: 1995

Grade/Age: Ages 4-8

Annotation: An interesting alphabet book that encourages readers to think about what today's object will become.

Themes: Process and creation

Ways to use the book:

Students can create their own version of “tomorrow’s alphabet.”

Students can create a “yesterday’s alphabet.” For example, “T is for chair…yesterday’s tree.”

Each letter in a “tomorrow’s alphabet” can also have multiple changes or tomorrows. For example, “Y is for Sheep…tomorrow’s Yarn…S is for Yarn…tomo
Karen
Mar 14, 2014 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms of children learning their letters
Cute idea - I don't think my kids got it though. I just read the word that matched the letter and then went backwards to what is WAS. They really enjoy it though. Kids love to learn how things change. And it was a great twist on an alphabet book.
Callie

Grade/interest level: Primary (K-2)
Reading level: Fountas-Pinnell D/Grade level equivalent 1.3
Genre: Picture Book/Alphabet

Main Characters: N/A
Setting: N/A
POV: N/A

Summary:
This is a picture/alphabet book in which each letter stands for something that changes into something else. For example: A is for seed, tomorrow’s apple; B is for eggs, tomorrow’s birds; C is for milk, tomorrow’s cheese; etc.

Classroom use/theme:
I would use this book in the classroom as a read aloud to help students understand c
Jess
This is an alphabet book for children who have moved beyond “A is for apple” and are ready for “a is for seed – tomorrow’s apple.” Each page introduces a letter and an object that will turn into something else, such as “M is for caterpillar – tomorrow’s moth.” The illustrations are naturalistic and accompanied by clear, bold text, making this a good choice for a beginning reader or for children being introduced to how things grow and change and interested in identifying the before and after obje ...more
Masumi
I am looking forward to reading this book. I found out about it while reading chapter 4: Reading Aloud to Children in our literacy book for class.

A is for seed, B is for eggs, C is for milk. This was not what I expected when learning about this book. It was not obvious in the least! Instead, the seed is tomorrows Apple, the eggs are tomorrows Birds, the milk is tomorrows Cheese! It is a great way to explore and imagine what can possibly come next!
Frances
1.Very large pictures.
2.Simple text.
3. This is a book about letters A-Z. I like this book because its pictures gives reference to what is to come. Ex. C is for milk tomorrows CHEESE ect...

Learning Activity

I will use the I is for water tomorrow's ice cube. I will get sets of ice trays. We will discuss how a liquid can turn to a solid. We will freeze the ice cube trays. Then we will watch how a solid can turn to a liquid.
Diana Haynes
I read this book for my alphabet book of my picture book project. I thought it was a great alphabet book which causes students to think more critically and helps to build on their ability to predict what will happen. A is for "seed", B is for "eggs"? A is for "seed", or "tomorrow's apple", and B is for "eggs", or "tomorrow's birds. The illustrations are bright and correspond with what the book is saying.
jacky
I really liked the unique concept of this book. Instead of A is for apple, its A is for seed, tomorrow's apple. Really more for kids who have the alphabet pretty much down. The illustrations weren't amazing, but okay. At story time, a few kids couldn't tell what the illustrations were of when they tried to guess the words.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Sleepy Little Alphabet: A Bedtime Story from Alphabet Town
  • If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet
  • Water Dance
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
Rabbit's Gift Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar? White Is for Blueberry Turkey Tot A Very Witchy Spelling Bee