The Future of Music: Manifesto for the Digital Music Revolution

The Future of Music: Manifesto for the Digital Music Revolution

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  18 reviews

For the next generation of players and downloaders, a provocative scenario from a music industry think tank.

From the Music Research Institute at Berklee College of Music comes a manifesto for the ongoing music revolution. Today, th

Published August 1st 2005 by Omnibus Press (first published January 1st 2005)

Reid
This was required reading in one of my grad classes and I think it's worth the read for anybody who is interested in the music industry. It is important to note that the book is dated. It was, after all, written in 2005. However, this is one of the reasons why we are reading it now in 2011. Now that we are in said future, we can look back and see what Kusek was right about, what he was wrong about, and what still hasn't changed in 6 years. There are many entertaining parts where we see the first...more
Christina Wilder
The Future of Music : Manifesto for the Digital Music Revolution begins with a plausible scenario; everyday life filled with music as if it were, as the authors (David Kusek and Gerd Leonhard) describe it, "like water: ubiquitous and free-flowing". Like utilities, music will be available more readily to the public without the presence of physical formats like CDs and music stores. Instead, it will be accessible online and through services like digital radio and file-sharing.

While most of this s...more
Christa
Excellent book. Definitely, a great read for anyone wanting to get involved with the music industry. This book covers the industry, laws, and major problems that music will face in the near if not present future.

I think the future of music in relation to libraries will rely heavily on several factors. Regardless the emotions librarians may or may not attach to technology, it is very important to remember that technology will always remain an enabling, not a decision-making, tool. Technology wil...more
Matt
"The Future of Music" is a crafty little piece of work that, while tragically already outdated by the time of this review, does provide some terrific insight as to where the music business is heading in these unstable times. The "Music Like Water" model that is created and considered in this book is terrific in terms of its insight and appropriateness - and it appears as though the industry is moving in this direction with new service-based music sales models. A part that struck me as particular...more
Greg
I bought this book many years back after it was mentioned numerous times during SXSW music conference panels. The panacea tone of the book put me off, and I never managed to finish it.

Fast forward to today, and after reading Steve Knopper's illuminating Appetite for Self-Destruction, I decided to give this book another go.

A number of predictions laid forth by the authors are coming to fruition, while others seem to be sputtering. The overly optimistic introduction pinpoints 2015 as the year when...more
Daniel Lomax
Tells roughly the same story as Sonic Boom, The Recording Industry, The Future of the Music Business and Free Culture, and is the best written of all of them. Less discussion of legal ambiguities and more discussion of what the long term consequences of filesharing will be (as the title suggests). For me the latter is more interesting.

Recommended as an introductory text to the vast hordes of music technology students who, like me, are studying this exact topic. Don't pretend you're not out there...more
David MacDonald
The idea of this book is a good one. We've got digital music and digital distribution. It's only going to grow. There's no stopping it, and there's certainly no going back. However, the authors do a disservice to the complexity of the issue by treating music as a commodity, as though we need music coming at us all the time and it doesn't really matter who's playing it just as long as it's more-or-less within the genres we like. One of the great things about the web is that it allows us to find t...more
Etan
This is a must read for musicians, techno-geeks, and anybody working in/interested in the music industry. Especially the latter. Even though it's a few years old already, I can see many of its predictions (and hopes) coming true or on their way. Best part: it's critical, but constructively so. Kusek and Leonhard have a hopeful vision of music's place in the future. They see a world wherein consumers, creators and industry can all be satisfied, and the unique human experience of being moved by mu...more
Ed Fonseca
This book served to predict some of the things that would happen in the coming years, but it was also off on many things. It tied past, (then) present and brilliant ideas for the future of music distribution together...but you had to read through some boring chapters to get to it. Good for the parent who doesn't quite get what you're all about (Parents just don't understand!) but for younger generations who are growing up overloaded with these same messages on the internet...
Dav
Quite dated now (this was pre-iPhone) but a thorough analysis of how the maelstrom of the consumer internet era slammed into a willfully unsuspecting world of Big Music. Many of the predictions have indeed come to pass, which underscores the quality of analysis and vision. I would have preferred a less opinionated style, but hard to argue with the authors' points of view even if they stretch things a bit in occasion.
Josh McConnell
Read this a couple of years ago. It was interesting to read, especially at the time of the online music book. A lot of the concepts still hold true today however, especially the "music like water" ideas.

It's not the essential, must-read music industry book. But those that like to read about potential trends and concepts that may come to be, you may find this a worth while read.
Bobby
Jun 06, 2007 Bobby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
Introduces and explores the concept of "music like water - as a service". If you like to download music and are interested in the music industry as a business, this book is fairly interesting. Perhaps a bit too preachy and already a tad outdated it still holds up in a broad sense.
Tom Schulte
Admittedly, this book came out whe iTunes was on the rise and P2P was on fire, but the authors' rosy and painfully optimistic hope for the future of music-for-sale seems short-sighted, now.
Ed
Jun 30, 2008 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: technophobes, small-town visionaries, music lovers
I'd hear the kids talking about their CDs and their MP players and their Nintendos...so I wanted to know what it was all about. I probably should read this book again.
Ged Skelding
An excellent insight on different aspects of the industry and what lies ahead for the future regarding copyright issues and music licensing.
Vivek Paul
Read this twice : once at my last job in digital business and then at Berklee .. It is so relevant for emerging markets today ..
Paul  Addis
Great overview of the state of music and the industry in regards to technological implications.
Rob
Fantastic source of information while writing my dissertation.
JP
JP marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
September Garland
September Garland marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Hagit Srour
Hagit Srour marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Readless
Readless marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Donnie Watson
Donnie Watson marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014