Start by marking “Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner” as Want to Read:
Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner

Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner

The body of a woman floats to the surface of a lake with sixty pounds of cinder block and chain attached to her legs. Her killer faces the death penalty if the prosecution can answer one question: Did she drown? A worker for the only U.S. plant licensed to produce anthrax dies, the victim of a heart attack. But what caused his heart to stop beating?

Published February 1st 2007 by Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about Cause of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cause of Death

Ella
Apr 13, 2016 Ella rated it did not like it
I've been on a bit of a morbid, non-fiction kick at the moment, starting with my spur-of-the-moment read of the fantastic Working Stiff by Judy Melinek and continuing on with books like Blood and Guts: a History of Surgery and Death's Acre. So far, all of these books have engaging, fascinating, and have treated the reader like a competent and intelligent individual. Unfortunately, this was not so for Stephen Cohle's Cause of Death.
This was a tough slog, right from the very beginning. I tried - o
#artdamnit Reads
Jun 26, 2012 #artdamnit Reads rated it it was ok
Cause of Death is actually a non-fiction book that i got from my job (working at a bookstore has it’s perks). It’s a collection of case histories from the Kent County forensic pathologist and while the science and the autopsies are really interesting the writing is terrible! He was constantly repeating himself, kept referencing things over and over again, and had a very condescending/patronizing voice the entire time. It was if he was writing the book expecting every one who read it to be as dum ...more
Meaghan
Jan 21, 2008 Meaghan rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book on forensic medicine as seen from the layman's perspective. Written in corroboration between a medical examiner and a schoolteacher who observed the former's autopsies on weekends over a period of months, it covers all different types of death: natural, homicide, suicide, accident. It includes details (like the use of wintergreen to cope with the smell of decomposing corpses) which bring the postmortem room to life. And you are also told about the lives of the autopsy ...more
Mark Vander Werp
May 05, 2008 Mark Vander Werp rated it it was ok
Some interesting stories from the morgue indeed. However, I disagree with the authors that real life (at least from these case histories) is not more interesting than fiction. I'd rather watch Dexter, call me low-brow, I'll live. If one is interested in the workings of a morgue and under what circumstances a body needs to be autopsied this book will be valuable.
I gave two stars because the book covers a lot of the same ground twice--for 1000 pg textbooks recaps are refreshing, but for a 200 page
Min Yee
Jan 11, 2014 Min Yee rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish reading this book and I've tried my best but just couldn't make it. This book was interesting with the cases and each case was given a very detailed explanation. I'm a fan of forensic stories but this book was not what I initially expected. I wasn't expecting to be written in a fictional way as I know this book should be based on true crime stories. It was just too dry for me, I guess.
Mum
Mar 02, 2008 Mum rated it did not like it
I'm fascinated by forensics. But not this book. Amateur writing, overuse of cliches, each chapter introduced the same terms as if they were new (over and over and over), and frankly, there was not much difference in the autopsies - they were almost interchangable.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
The explanations of science are easy to follow where they are present, but there aren't very many of them. Has some pretty graphic/gruesome photos. There are places where the writing is bad/awkward, but comprehensible.
Ashley
Feb 03, 2013 Ashley marked it as to-read
#
Own in hardback.
NC

FS: "Several smaller neighborhoods border the south side of Grand Rapids; in a large metropolitan area, one might call this area the near south side."

LS: "And maybe one day, he'll again be able to eat wintergreen mints."
Rebecca
Mar 24, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Wasn't what I thought it would be. Much more novel like with very limited pictures. But the pictures are very real which was slightly disturbing but that's what you get for reading this type of book right?
Joey
Jun 15, 2013 Joey rated it it was ok
Interesting topic poorly written. Dr. Cohle thinks pretty highly of himself and his tendency to toot his own horn is grating. Apparently he recruited a high school English teacher to serve as his co-author and the result is an amateur product.
Mandy Huot
Nov 28, 2012 Mandy Huot rated it it was ok
This book was interesting with the cases he mentioned, but I felt he took too long to get to the actual cases and spent the majority of the book rambling about medical stuff.
Adri
Adri rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2007
Lucy Ritter
Lucy Ritter rated it liked it
May 13, 2012
Sue
Aug 27, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crimen
Loved the descriptions and excellent graphic detail.
Mandi
Mandi rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2012
Susan Watts
Susan Watts rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Tonya
Tonya rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Gardenia
Gardenia rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
Amanda Lausas
Amanda Lausas rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Katie K
Katie K rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Devonte Moore
Devonte Moore rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Lolobull
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Shelley Hazlett
Shelley Hazlett rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Kendal
Kendal rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2016
kortni martinez
kortni martinez rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Postmortem: How Medical Examiners Explain Suspicious Deaths
  • Blood On the Table: The Greatest Cases of New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
  • Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office
  • Dissecting Death: Secrets of a Medical Examiner
  • Maggots, Murder, and Men: Memories and Reflections of a Forensic Entomologist
  • Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Tales from the Morgue: Forensic Answers to Nine Famous Cases Including The Scott Peterson & Chandra Levy Cases
  • The Forensic Casebook: The Science of Crime Scene Investigation
  • Forensic Detective: How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases
  • Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • No Stone Unturned: The True Story of the World's Premier Forensic Investigators
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook