The Branded Man

The Branded Man

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Marie Anne Lawson, youngest daughter of a prosperous Northumbrian family, had always run when she might have walked, and it was as she was running away from a sight she would rather not have witnessed that she stumbled and fell, injuring her ankle, to be discovered by a local man who, because of a disfigurement, was known thereabouts as 'the branded man'....more
Published September 4th 1997 by Corgi (first published 1997)

Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Emily Stone
Miranda Starmz
Oct 25, 2011 Miranda Starmz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mystery or intrigue with a touch of romance
Simply amazing. Although it was tedious at times (although maybe my weariness was to blame for falling asleep several times during reading, and because it has grown to be a habit for me to do so?), I loved it.
Joanna
I like Catherine Cookson's novels but I wish she added more romance into the mix. The drama's always more forefront. The story was very good and I liked the characters.
Alexandra
It was all right, but I don't think I'll be reading any more Catherine Cookson for a while...
☯Bettie☯
Carmen
DNF There is too much misery between these pages and none of it beautifully written.
Carmen
One of my favorite authors with a great story and well developed characters.
Amy Louise
truegritt
A good book, as are all from this author. Brenda
Leanne Hunt
As always, a riveting read from this author.
Ariella
One of her great ones! Cookson at her best!
Janet Randon
Another good read.
Elizabeth Walker
Elizabeth Walker marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Gitte
Gitte added it
Jun 14, 2014
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown