Start by marking “Underneath The Lintel: An Impressive Presentation Of Lovely Evidences” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Underneath The Lintel:...

Glen Berger

Underneath The Lintel: An Impressive Presentation Of Lovely Evidences

Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Underneath The Lintel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underneath The Lintel

Kathryn
I saw the play with Richard Schiff as The Librarian twice in London, and directed a production of it with Ed Gibbons-Brown playing The Librarian. In both situation I continued to be completely moved by the plays subject and by it's character. The Librarian is a flawlessly believable character and an absolutely fantastic holder of the unraveling mysteries of The Wondering Jew.
Luke Zwanziger
Mar 09, 2010 Luke Zwanziger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play
One of the greatest plays I have ever read. Written for a single actor, this play is about a obcessive compulsive librarian who gets hooked by an unpaid fine over 100 years old that ends up taking him across the world in search of answers to a mystery that opens up to him.

I memorized nearly all of this play at one point in hopes of doing a small production of it myself. It never happened, but it may someday in the future. A fun and inspiring read.
Kate Leonard
May 13, 2014 Kate Leonard rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!
Charlie Archer
Feb 28, 2016 Charlie Archer rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

A quick read that kept me hooked the whole way though. A compelling mystery, a wonderfully quirky narrator, and a very clever script with great themes! It's crazy to think I was so invested over a course of only thirty-six pages.
This play definitely deserves more recognition. Hopefully I'll get to see it performed someday.
BJM
Feb 07, 2010 BJM rated it it was amazing
One of only three times I've ever bought a play in print (I love the theater but generally hate reading plays). After seeing this one-man show on stage I had to have a copy to savor the language and the story. Cross an obsessive librarian with an overdue book and throw in a little time travel for good measure. Exquisite.
Joshua
Jan 25, 2013 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A haunting, beautifully constructed one-man meditation on time and devotion. An ex-librarian's odd quest shapes his dull life and gives him purpose. Troubling and soaringly hopeful - it is both a fantastic peek inside the mind of a timid introvert and a globe-trotting examination of myth and loss.
Steve
Aug 06, 2007 Steve rated it it was amazing
Colin Smith's performance at Davidson College of this astounding one-man show distinguished it as one of those works every actor longs to perform. A mysterious, lonely, and lovely journey through a librarian's doggedly determined quest for permanence.
Mark
Aug 21, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
A wonderfully written one-person play that I first saw performed in New York back in 2002. A favorite theater experience of mine.
Robert
Mar 15, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2010-11-season
A lovely, haunting monologue cataloging a librarian's obsession with a (long) overdue book and the mystery it creates.
Shawn
Apr 08, 2008 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Glen Berger is the only modern playwright whose work I value more than Martin McDonagh's. Nuff said.
Beamish13
Beamish13 rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Will_Crimble
Will_Crimble marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Wil Despe
Wil Despe marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Kelly Castle
Kelly Castle rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Alex Giorgio-rubin
Alex Giorgio-rubin rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Kat McCorkle
Kat McCorkle rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Robert Whiston
Robert Whiston rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Alice
Alice added it
Dec 27, 2014
Paige Borak
Paige Borak marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Jeremy Borouchoff
Jeremy Borouchoff marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014