Start by marking “Understanding Public Policy” as Want to Read:
Understanding Public Policy

Understanding Public Policy

For undergraduate-level courses in Public Policy.

Understanding Public Policy is not only an introduction to the study of public policy, but also an introduction to the models that political scientists use to describe and explain political life.

This leading introduction to public policy is designed to provide undergraduate and graduate students with concrete tool

Hardcover, 12th Edition, 368 pages
Published January 13th 2007 by Prentice Hall (first published 1969)

Nargiz
Feb 04, 2014 Nargiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be much more accurate if the book was called "Understanding Public Policy in the USA". When I saw it first, I expected to find cases about public policy issues from all around the world. Instead the author suggest specific focus on the US government policy.

The advantage of the book is that the author explain hard terms in a very simple language, so it is easy to read and comprehend. For example, public policy is defined as "whatever governments choose to do or not to do". The subjects a
Andrew R. Keating
Aug 12, 2016 Andrew R. Keating rated it liked it
Three Factors upon Which Deterrence Depends: A Review of Thomas Dye's Understanding Public Policy
The strategies of most criminal justice policies revolve around the prevention of crime. There are three factors upon which the effectiveness of this prevention depends: certainty, swiftness, and severity. Criminal justice policy creation focuses largely on disincentives, namely on the certainty of a punishment after a crime is committed, the swiftness with which that punishment will follow the crim
Joe Cole
Feb 10, 2017 Joe Cole rated it it was amazing
That jargon defeats the purpose of clarity for students. I appreciate the straight shooter writing style that is clear and easy to understand. Indeed I used at as a standard refernce book in formulating my views on a range of topics even though I am an Australian looking at an American academic text book.
Steven Peterson
Jan 30, 2011 Steven Peterson rated it liked it
Thomas Dye is a well known and respected political scdientist. In this volume, he discusses a variety of approaches to understanding public policy. In essence, he outlines a series of "models" of how the process works. His writing is not the most felicitous, but it is functional.

Its key distinguishing figure is the contention that we need to be aware of different "models" of politics as these inform our understanding of public policy. Models are simplifications of reality to highlight certain ke
Josh Liller
This was the textbook for my "Issues in American Politics" university class. My professor, who by her own admission has a liberal bias (I agree), feels the author has a conservative bias (I also agree). She uses this book partly because of the contrasting viewpoint to her own, but also because she feels there simply isn't anything better available.

Dye's conservative bias doesn't seem too severe and only seemed particularly noticeable to me on a few issues. It's certainly not FOX News. Some of th
Paulatics
Oct 30, 2013 Paulatics rated it liked it
I use this as a text in my Intro to Public Policy course. The book is in its 14th edition, so Professor Dye's framework is the gold standard. It provides an excellent basis for class discussions by explaining the academic models of public policy. After lobbying for 20 years, I then proceed to teach my students how public policy is REALLY made.
Leif
Jan 16, 2016 Leif rated it liked it
Would have been more helpful if I was more concerned about America as the sole example for policy examples, or if I was more inclined to liberal/conservative normativism. Clearly structured and the opening chapters are very accessible, in particular.
Brenda Armstead
I am trying to open the book to read it. I am not able to open the book. How do I open the book to read it?
Adhe
Adhe rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Linseyluo
Linseyluo rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Janek
Janek rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Asmati Naskidashvili
Asmati Naskidashvili rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Adam Reuter
Adam Reuter rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Aqua
Aqua rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Tanay Bakshi
Tanay Bakshi rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Amber Cooney
Amber Cooney rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2010
Filipa Santos
Filipa Santos rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Riansyah Hia
Riansyah Hia rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Nyidu Livingstone
Nyidu Livingstone rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Linda Munden
Linda Munden rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
GulnaraT
GulnaraT rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Summi Khan
Summi Khan rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Niken Wahyu
Niken Wahyu rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Pii
Pii rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2017
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
May 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Agendas, Alternatives, and Public Policies (Longman Classics Edition)
  • Island of Shame: The Secret History of the U.S. Military Base on Diego Garcia
  • Many Children Left Behind: How the No Child Left Behind Act Is Damaging Our Children and Our Schools
  • Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches
  • Bureaucracy: What Government Agencies Do and Why They Do It
  • The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror
  • Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
  • Images of Organization
  • Policy Paradox: The Art of Political Decision Making
  • Classics of Organization Theory (with InfoTrac)
  • The Politics of United States Foreign Policy
  • A Practical Guide for Policy Analysis: The Eightfold Path to More Effective Problem Solving
  • The Invention of the White Race: The Origin of Racial Oppression in Anglo-America (Volume 2) (Haymarket Series)
  • The Union of Their Dreams: Power, Hope, and Struggle in Cesar Chavez's Farm Worker Movement
  • Righteous Dopefiend
  • Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
  • Real Estate Development: Principles and Process
  • Selected Works of the Brontë Sisters: Jane Eyre / Villette / Wuthering Heights / Agnes Grey / The Tenant of Wildfell Hall