Start by marking “The Color of Hope” as Want to Read:
The Color of Hope

The Color of Hope

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Ruth Connelly used to think she had the perfect life--two beautiful children, a caring, attractive husband, and a successful and illustrious career. But without her even realizing it, everything has started disintegrating. She and Paul, passionately inseparable at the beginning of their marriage, have started drifting apart, and her older child Josie, once so sweet and ene ...more
Published July 14th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Hope

Judith
Nov 29, 2014 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, what can I say? The book began with promise, but by the 20th page, it was gone. I was disappointed with "The Color of Hope". I felt that it could have been better than it actually was. The story centers around a financially comfortable couple from Boston, who have two children. One day, while summering in Maine, tragedy strikes when the family goes sailing, and their lives change for the worst. Just as things seem as they cannot get any worse, they do. I felt that the author overdid it wit ...more
Grace
I have to start this out with a confession. I cheated. I accidentally dropped the book and lost my page. When I picked it up and leafed through, I found out what happened at the end of the story. So, I started there. I'm really thankful I did, too, because I wouldn't have stuck with the middle part of the story where it dragged on through character and storyline development.

It's the story of a family that is torn apart by a self-centred 17-year old girl that reacts just like you'd think a self-
Barbra
Jan 10, 2010 Barbra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by this author that I have read and will definately read her others. Really enjoyed it and found it was a bit of a tearjerker.

Back Cover Blurb:
Carter's House in Sweetharbor, Maine, has been in Ruth's family for generations. Now she, her husband, Paul, and their children, 16 year old Josie and Will, 14, spend the summers there. There are tensions between Ruth and Paul - they seem to have drifted apart since she re-built her high-powered career as an attorney - and Josie is
Neville
Mar 06, 2014 Neville rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A teenage daughter that seems to think that the world should revolve around her. There is a boating accident and an accident that causes problems for the family. You get the feeling early on that there is something odd about the daughter. Did she really die? Where is the body?

These are things that you ask as you read. Then there is the son....

Another gap filler as far as the story goes. Not a bad read if you have nothing else to read.
Sakshi
Jan 22, 2015 Sakshi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tragically the book doesn't live up to its name. There are so many sad things happening, but instead of feeling sorry for the characters you start getting irritated with them. And it just keeps on progressing. The only reason I have given 2 stars is for Will. Definitely won't recommend it to anyone.
Pat aka Tygyr
Sep 18, 2013 Pat aka Tygyr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I quit reading Danielle Steele ages ago because I had enough to cry about in my own life and didn't want to read books that made me cry. This book made me cry in many places. It's the story of a husband, wife, teen age acting out daughter and a younger son - Will. The mom - Ruth - works long and hard as a lawyer. The dad - Paul - is a Professor. Josie, besides being a typical unhappy teen is an artist. Ruth inherited a home in Maine and it is their summer, sometime weekend get away house. I don' ...more
Pernilla
This book had me in tears a few time especially in the end I just couldn't stop. I liked the book but wished the ending could have been different as I always do when there is heartbreak. Look forward to reading more from this author.
Wendy Whaley
Nov 21, 2015 Wendy Whaley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Didn't want to put it down. Had tears in my eyes at times.
Sheri
Feb 13, 2012 Sheri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter starts out with a teenage daughter talking to her mother with a trash mouth like I couldn't believe. I mean the swearing never stopped. No respect..and her mother just chalks it up to her being 16 and growing up and hormones and all that.
They go boating for the son's birthday to an island off Maine. The Maine descriptions were good and I enjoyed that part.
Various tragedies happen to this family..death, seperation,ect. By the end of it, I was emotionally exhausted.
Keri
Jul 13, 2015 Keri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
By far one of the most depressing books I have read!!
Sue Wilber
Sep 04, 2010 Sue Wilber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book - great beach read while sitting on the beach in Maine and wonderful story line that really makes you think about what is important in life. Couldn't put it down! Wish my library had other books by this author!
Cassie
Jul 20, 2009 Cassie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just
Feb 09, 2015 Just rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like books that use foul language. This book had way too much for me. It's unnecessary in my opinion..it just spoiled the whole plot for me.
Sheelagh
Dec 31, 2009 Sheelagh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, very thought provoking. Made me cry to see the lenghts family will go to to hurt each other.
Alyn
just shows that life is not fair and not perfect as we want them to be. touching story of a tragic family life
Elizabeth Fleming mcnees
Elizabeth Fleming mcnees is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Maike Kubitza
Maike Kubitza marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Denis
Denis marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Marco Domínguez
Marco Domínguez marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Jessie K.
Jessie K. marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Eugenie Venter
Eugenie Venter rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Katherine Orr
Katherine Orr marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
  • Cotton Song: A Novel
  • Give Peas a Chance
  • Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog
  • Payment Deferred
  • The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys: A Growing Up Guide for Parents and Sons
  • Going to the Sun
  • The Penny Whistle
  • A Family Christmas
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • The Good Journey: A Novel
  • A Place Called Wiregrass
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Puppies For Dummies (For Dummies: Pets)
  • Nowhere Else on Earth
  • Dog Training For Dummies (For Dummies)