How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Broken, smashed and stomped in the mud. That's how Charlotte Bell's heart ended up the last time she let her emotions heat up on a nanny assignment. So taking a new position in frigid Iceland, working for Ambassador Edgar Rawlings, might be just what Charlotte needs in order to heal up--and chill out. This time, she's determined to be intrepid and courageous. She's even re...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Red Dress Ink (first published August 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How Nancy Drew Saved My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

Beautiful Creatures by Kami GarciaThe Dark Divine by Bree DespainUnearthly by Cynthia HandNightshade by Andrea CremerEvermore by Alyson Noel
The Color Purple
72nd out of 842 books — 242 voters
Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
Best Red Dress Ink Books
17th out of 110 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacy
This book really had nothing going for it. The main character was not lovable, deep or interesting. At 23 she develops this weird obsession with Nancy Drew (for no good reason) then goes to Iceland where it seems that all Icelanders carry a copy of some Nancy Drew book around with them--although it is never quite explained why this is the case as you read the book. I would also venture to guess that this little "tidbit" is totally untrue. The main character is naive and doesn't seem to get what...more
Erika
This book is about a girl who gets involved with the father of the children she nannies, it goes south and she decides she needs to make a new life for herself. She gets another job as a nanny/governess and goes to Iceland. She continually talks about Nancy Drew and what would Nancy Drew do in her position.
This is where I started to hate the book, but I kept reading thinking maybe it'll get better. I was very frustrated with the end and that the relationships didin't build very well, it went fr...more
Brittany
Gosh, this was bad. It took me forever to just get a hundred pages in and when it takes that long, its time to chuck the book across the room and start again with a new book. A better book. The writing was blah, the character was blah, the character of Edgar was totally unbelievable and don't get me started on the whole WWNDD? or the fact that all Icelanders are devout Nancy Drew fans. Proves that anyone with a semi-understanding of the English language can write a book.
Cheryl
This book was so horrible that my friends and I started a Terrible Book Club where we passed around a copy in which we wrote snarky comments in the margins.
Sharal Hunter
One of the many joys of reading is the travel destinations. For the first time ever, I got to travel to Iceland with Charlotte Bell when she accepts a nanny position with the U.S. Ambassador. Initially, this story is very vague where Charlotte is concerned. Though Charlotte was a child celebrity, she had a less than happy childhood, growing up in her Aunt’s home. She never feeling accepted and is someone who is looking for love and acceptance, usually in the wrong place. Unfortunately, she wears...more
Jackie
Haven't adored nancy frew books as a child, I picked up this book @ amazon reduced with gift cards. Thinking this book would be true to nancy drew however i was very disappointed. I usually like books by red dress not true with this one.

It's about a girl who's a former child star, she becomes a nanny & falls in love with her male employer. Who of course is married and lives with her aunt now that her dad moved away.

She leaves the job when the man wanted get rid of her child, only later she...more
Jules
Dec 26, 2013 Jules rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: chick, lit
There were parts of this book that I really liked and other parts where I thought the author sort of lost her way. The premise of the book was fun and catchy. A young woman who has a job as a Nanny gets involved with her boss and ends up heartbroken and jobless. She then decides to read all the Nancy Drew mysteries to help take her mind off of things and also to help her to start putting one foot in front of the other in her own life.[return][return]While this and most chick lit books are quite...more
Stacey
So, I’m going to be honest. I loved Nancy Drew as a girl, and that is why I picked this book up at some random library book sale. Plus I haven’t yet met a Red Dress Book I didn’t love. This might have been the exception. It had a cute little plot and story but basically the main character Charlotte just drove me nuts. She is the type of girl I absolutely cannot stand. It starts out that Charlotte is a Nanny for this well to do couple in NYC. So of course she has to start sleeping with the husban...more
Elvia
I read a few reviews of this book when I started it and I saw a lot of "okays." I didn't think that it was that bad. It was based upon Jane Eyre. In fact, the book kinds of makes fun that it's like Jane Eyre which is what is so funny. The movement in the story happened and the ending was kind of anti-romantic. I still liked it and the message that it sent.

Charlotte (hat off to Ms. Bronte) having had her heart crushed by her employer, embarks on an adventure to Iceland as a nanny, her previous o...more
Lady Knight
While there was the odd section of 20 pages or so that captivated me, overall this was a pretty terrible book. Blatant rip off of Jane Eyre (and it doesn't help that the author even references it when Charlotte claims to have a "Jane Eyre moment") and very little to do with Nancy Drew (other than the odd reference thrown in to live up to the novel's title). The book sounded cute and held such promise, but ultimately was a waste of time.

I have really loved Lauren Baratz-Logsted's YA and children...more
This is truly one of the worst books I've ever read. I bought it in an airport bookstore or somewhere, thinking that it would be light travel reading. Several pages in, I got so frustrated with the book that I started making notes in it, underlining and commenting on all of the things that were pointless or stupid or made no sense. When I got home, I passed it off to a friend with the warning that it was terrible. She made her own notes and passed it to another friend. Now it's got at least four...more
Kathleen
This was a really easy read. I loved Nancy Drew when I was in elementary school so I was excited to read this. She makes it sound like the entire country of Denmark is completely obsessed with Nancy Drew, which I find unlikely. I liked how she kept tying "what would nancy do?" back into the story, but for large sections she completely drops anything Nancy related, which seemed a little odd. I was expecting the end though and was happy to be surprised by the secret she revealed. Is it the greates...more
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 30, 2009 Stephanie "Jedigal" rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: bookclub
That I have the ability to totally disengage from what I am reading. I was "eh" about it while reading - didn't care about it in the positive, didn't care about it in the negative. It was while discussing in book club that I determined this was really a pretty crappy book, and wondered why I hadn't noticed at the time.

Anyway, I would NOT recommend. And I realize this doesn't have any thoughtful reasons to explain my problems, and I hate to say - this book doesn't deserve the time it would take...more
Meaghan
cute story. my copy was missing thirty pages in the middle so i feel rather cheated. i enjoyed the thin pink line more than this book but it was a great fluffy book.
Christie
Feb 05, 2008 Christie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who have nothing else to read
I was definitely not impressed by this book. I may have liked it if not for the ridiculous ending that pretty much ruined any positive feelings I had.

I felt like the author didn't come up with any unique ideas on her own. From the title, I assumed there would be lots of references to the Nancy Drew series (which there were) but there were also tons of Jane Eyre references and they all felt overstated and trite.

The one good thing that came form reading this book--it made me want to re-read Jane...more
Eli2abeth
boring chick lit
Carol
Horrid ending to a lame story
Kristen
This was really bad. Really.
LibraryCin

After Charlotte's heart is broken by her previous (married) employer, in order to get away, she accepts a nanny position in Iceland. Unfortunately, she later finds herself falling for her new employer. What she's not sure about is where his wife is?

I thought this was cute. I loved all the references to Nancy Drew and there were shades of Jane Eyre. It really is a mindless, fluffy, quick read, though. Don't expect too much out of it. Though some didn't like the ending, I did.
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2010
I was drawn into this book by the title and I found Charlotte's thoughts about Nancy Drew amusing, although her dependence on thinking, "What would Nancy Drew do?" was misguided. I wanted Charlotte to grow and learn from her mistakes in life during the story however her growth was not very apparent to me. There were some amusing parts and her thoughts to herself were sometimes witty but you do have to suspend belief for parts of this book to get through it.
Sharon
Despite the title, this novel had more connections with Jane Eyre than Nancy Drew. Since Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels, it would have taken a really good book to make me admire rather than resent the connections. Unfortunately, this novel was not remotely strong enough to successfully walk this line. Sorry, but not a fan of this novel. I did like her YA book Crazy Beautiful though, so I'm one-for-one with Baratz-Logsted thus far.
Debbie
A young woman takes a governess job with an ambassador in Iceland and ends up embroiled in some romance and some mystery. This was a bit of a disappointment. The characters fell flat with me and at times, it seemed that the author was overreaching for parallels between her story and Jane Eyre and Nancy Drew. It was an amusing read but I thought it could have been carried out much better than it had been.
Debi
Not really sure how to review this book. It was an okay read - typical fluff chick-lit. Girl has affair, has her heart broken, moves to another country to start over, ends up falling in love again. Had a lot of references to Nancy Drew and the series involving this teen detective. I didn't really like the ending of the book though. I like to have things tied up nice and tidy and this wasn't. Oh, well!
Liane
The whole book ran along like your standard chick lit, and it would have been fine and dandy, but then, boom: Worst. Ending. Ever. It was just RUDE. I feel the need to caution folks: Do not read this book. It is not worth it in the end.

This is the first Red Dress Ink book I read, so I don't know if this kind of ending is the norm for this particular Harlequin imprint.
Mirah W
Um, well, the good news is it was a quick read. The bad news is there wasn't really a mystery (implied by the Nancy Drew title) and it was a poor rip-off of Jane Eyre. Some parts were just preposterous (Bebe, Annette's history, Edgar's life). The redeeming value came in Charlotte learning to stand on her own two feet and making the right decisions for herself.
Lisa
The plot was more Jane Eyre than Nancy Drew...it was pretty much a modern day Jane Eyre with some changes of course, and the ending is a lot different. I actually thought the ND element was kind of distracting, although it did make it stand out a little more from the typical chick lit novel. It makes me want to reread Jane Eyre now, and watch the movies!!
Angelica
Where to begin? I just recently reread this book (at the time I considered it a favorite), but after reading it a second time I realized it really wasn't as cute as I thought it was. I couldn't stand the main character, she did stupid, immoral things (have affairs with BOTH bosses), the Nancy Drew thing was ridiculous and unrealistic, and the ending sucked.
Kelly
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was cheesy but fun and compelling. Started out slow, but then later I couldn't put it down, wanting to find out what happened next. Reminded me a lot of "The Sound of Music" story, which is my all-time favorite movie. I would like to read more from this author. Red Dress Ink books never let me down!
Kaite

I went into amazon looking for something that would touch base on Nancy Drew and i thought this was it... Dont even think about it ladies and gents this book was worth its only star. The main character was hard to relate to let alone understand. There was no character depth nor was there much about nancy drew. Not my cup of tea
  • The Year Of Living Famously (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? (Red Dress Ink)
  • A Minor Indiscretion
  • The Lost Files of Nancy Drew
  • Perfect Blend: A Novel
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Tales of a Drama Queen
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a...more
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted...
Crazy Beautiful The Twin's Daughter The Education of Bet The Thin Pink Line Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1)

“It is indeed possible to be widely read, as I am, and still have black holes in one's knowledge.” 2 likes
“Actually, I was beginning to think that even I should be able to solve .153847 mysteries. It was the 38 part, I suspected, that would be the problem.” 0 likes