Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Collection of scary and macabre fiction from a variety of genres. It includes the entire text of John Wyndham's novel of alien invasion, Out of the Deeps, and 24 short stories by American or British authors, all written in the 20th century. Authors represented include T. H. White, Donald E. Westlake, Theodore Sturgeon, Thomas M. Disch, Ellis Peters, E. Phillips Oppenheim, ...more
Published June 28th 1967 by Random House Trade (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Hitchcock Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Werner
Sep 03, 2012 Werner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of scary fiction
Movie director Hitchcock's name was synonymous in that medium with suspense and horror achieved by purely natural means; but he was also an indefatigable editor of scary fiction collections that drew on the science fiction and supernatural genres, as well as the horror afforded by such descriptive fiction staples as madness, murder, etc. His anthologies gave me some of my first exposure to supernatural fiction, and whetted my desire for more of it. The selections here are well-chosen, with the e ...more
Matthew
These stories. Are. Creepy.

Of course it helps to have a musty copy of this book with yellowed pages, reading it alone in your room at night as creatures stir in the woods outside...

I reread T.H. White's 'The Troll' recently and it scared me even more.

This isn't cheap stuff. These tales were handpicked by Hitch himself and they are the elegant sort of horror tale in the tradition of Poe that just bother you. They don't shock you, they put ideas into your head that bother you, for days.
Jonathan
Worth the price just to read Miriam Allen Deford's "A Death in the Family" a great little horror story which Rod Serling adapted into a wonderful segment of "Rod Serling's Night Gallery" by the same name. Some other excellent stories as well!
Melinda
With the exception of John Wyndham's novella at the end of this collection, I really enjoyed these stories. Some of them I have read over and over. Party Games creeps me out every time.
Artnoose Noose
Oct 20, 2010 Artnoose Noose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like spooky or suspenseful stories
I picked up this book at the library because it contains a short story "X Marks he Pedwalk" which I had been looking for for a long time. That particular story is very short but good, and I decided to read the rest of them. They are mostly very good, the kind of suspense you would expect Hitchcock to enjoy, sort of a Twilight Zone kind of feel to them. There's a particularly memorable one about a little girl who discovers a plant-monster, and one where a couple gets held hostage by a WWII vet wi ...more
This book is a compilation of old stories that were meant to scare people. More or less to get the reader to really think about how the paranormal, elderly, historical people can play a role in society. Some of the tales may be boring, some dragged, and some just got one to say, " What the freak!?"

I honestly thought this book was an alright book. Yes there were some suspenseful, mind twisting, and weird stories but come to think of it, this book was written in I think 1967 (Please do not quote
Donald
Oct 15, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
In addition to being one of the greatest film directors of all time, and hoating a wonderful, long- running television show, Alfred Hitchcock lent his name to a series of short story anthologies that were almost always first-rate. I read nearly all of them, and reveled in their dark, hard-boiled look at life. The best of these stories are like classic film noir; terribly depressing, but fascinating and irresistable. My personal favorite of all is in this volume. "The Candidate" by Henry Slesar i ...more
Connie Hirsch
Outstanding collection, most of which I've never read before. The novel by John Wyndham is amazingly prescient about the effects of sea level rise, which unfortunatly I think we're going to see come true.
Susie
These stories are wonderful. Zoom through them or read one a night. Good read.
Terri
My father gave me this book - which had belong to him - when I was a kid. Many of the stories were a bit over my head at the time and I stayed up light, with a light under the blanket, struggling to get through these addictive & deliciously creepy horror stories. Almost all of them were spine tingling, shudder inducing tales of a cruesome or ironic nature - this is one of those books that you go back to again and again. Good stuff!
Lisa
More like 3.5 stars, because it wasn't bad... just dated, some of them uncomfortably so. And some were so melodramatic it'd turn your hair white, but in an enjoyable, duck and cover, kind of way. I talked about a few of the stories last week on the blog, and I'll probably put it down for now until next fall.
Emy
This is without a doubt the most disturbing book I have ever read. I discovered it at the school library when I was 12 after devouring all the horror classics like Dracula and Frankenstein and some of the stories terrified me to my very core. The sentiment of unease I got reading them followed me for months.
Susan Ashley
This was on my Mom's bookshelf.....I read it as a teen-ager and remember being enthralled especially with the creepy story "Part Games". Years later I still remember how this short story frightened me!
Maria D'Isidoro
My grandmother bequeathed me a ton of wonderful horror and science fiction anthologies and this is one of them. My grandmother had awesome taste. I'm going to go reread all of this immediately.
Shera
this book is much better than the 58 short stories. Typical Hitchcock fashion, even though all different authors/contributors, they still have the twist that always leaves you wondering.
Patty L
Los relatos ,,,bien , algunos mas interesantes que otros, peeeeero, la novela corta al final...uff!!!! un ladrillito, larga, tediosa,insufrible.,la termine por pura disciplina.
Luis
Mar 14, 2012 Luis added it
Me he divertido. Como en cualquier conjunto de relatos breves los hay más interesantes y los hay menos. Pero en general es una asociación entretenida y diversa.
Jeremy
Some good stories, some spooky stories, some strange stories. All in all a good read, but nothing much getting too excited about.
Peter Salva
An excellent collection. My favorites are Irvin S. Cobb's "Fishhead", and Miriam Allen deFord's "A Death in the Family".
Amy
Some good stories, some not so great.
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Sherylsim
Sherylsim marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Jake Detamore
Jake Detamore marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Irene Lazlo
Irene Lazlo marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories
  • Weird Tales: 32 Unearthed Terrors
  • Stories from the Twilight Zone
  • Gallery of Horror
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories for Late at Night Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories Not for the Nervous Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories to Stay Awake By

“Life is such unutterable hell, solely because it is sometimes beautiful. If we could only be miserable all the time, if there could be no such things as love or beauty or faith or hope, if I could be absolutely certain that my love would never be returned: how much more simple life would be. One could plod through the Siberian salt mines of existence without being bothered about happiness.” 48 likes