Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me (Alfred Hitchcock Presents)

Collection of scary and macabre fiction from a variety of genres. It includes the entire text of John Wyndham's novel of alien invasion, Out of the Deeps, and 24 short stories by American or British authors, all written in the 20th century. Authors represented include T. H. White, Donald E. Westlake, Theodore Sturgeon, Thomas M. Disch, Ellis Peters, E. Phillips Oppenheim, ...more
Published June 28th 1967 by Random House Trade (first published 1967)

Alejandro
Good evening, readers, take a seat...

This is the original anthology edition featuring 25 stories, if you plan to read, check it out that the edition you get is this one, since posterior edition changed some stories and even they took out several stories.

The general rating is an average result of each individual rating of the stories contained in the anthology.

I am fan of Hitchcock’s directing work, and when I found this book, I knew that I have to read it, any set of stories able to scare the
Werner
Apr 16, 2008 Werner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of scary fiction
Note, March 12, 2016: I just corrected a minor typo in this review.

Movie director Hitchcock's name was synonymous in that medium with suspense and horror achieved by purely natural means; but he was also an indefatigable editor of scary fiction collections that drew on the science fiction and supernatural genres, as well as the horror afforded by such descriptive fiction staples as madness, murder, etc. His anthologies gave me some of my first exposure to supernatural fiction, and whetted my des
Matthew
Oct 29, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing
These stories. Are. Creepy.

Of course it helps to have a musty copy of this book with yellowed pages, reading it alone in your room at night as creatures stir in the woods outside...

I reread T.H. White's 'The Troll' recently and it scared me even more.

This isn't cheap stuff. These tales were handpicked by Hitch himself and they are the elegant sort of horror tale in the tradition of Poe that just bother you. They don't shock you, they put ideas into your head that bother you, for days.
Vanessa
Cuentos:
- La habitación de los niños (2 estrellas)
- ¡Tan Real!... (3 estrellas)
- Viaje a la muerte (2 estrellas)
- El amo de los perros (4 estrellas)
- El candidato (2 estrellas)
- El misterios de las profundidades (3 estrellas)

Jonathan
Sep 09, 2009 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Worth the price just to read Miriam Allen Deford's "A Death in the Family" a great little horror story which Rod Serling adapted into a wonderful segment of "Rod Serling's Night Gallery" by the same name. Some other excellent stories as well!
Rebecca Williams
Jan 11, 2017 Rebecca Williams rated it it was ok
Stories were neither that great nor that scary....
Melinda
Oct 09, 2008 Melinda rated it really liked it
With the exception of John Wyndham's novella at the end of this collection, I really enjoyed these stories. Some of them I have read over and over. Party Games creeps me out every time.
Gláucia Renata
Mar 14, 2017 Gláucia Renata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
É muito arriscado dar um título desse a uma coletânea tão ruim, apesar de um excelente jogo de marketing a gente se sente muito enganado.
Gosto muito dessas seleções de contos no gênero suspense/terror/fantástico feitas por Hitchcock que viraram episódios do programa Alfred Hichcock apresenta, e como já tinha lido vários desses já sabia que o título era puro exagero. Mas essa coletânea foi definitivamente a pior. O primeiro conto é excelente (pra quem curte o gênero mórbido) mas é o único que sal
Gloria
May 15, 2014 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone; Horror; paranormal; science fiction; dystopian horror; fantasy; ghost story
This collection of stories..... sometimes made me shudder. Other times were more of a "I read it, but it wasn't scary." Other times were just nerve-wrackingly horrific!

Stories of murder, revenge, adultery, shades of the Cask of Amontillado, and hardly any have "happy" endings. Some people survive, but...... their lives are never the same.

Out of the Deeps was a novel: It (not by Stephen King) was a "Novelette", and the rest were 'stories'. All had something that chilled about them.

Out of the Dee
Artnoose Noose
Sep 30, 2010 Artnoose Noose rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like spooky or suspenseful stories
I picked up this book at the library because it contains a short story "X Marks he Pedwalk" which I had been looking for for a long time. That particular story is very short but good, and I decided to read the rest of them. They are mostly very good, the kind of suspense you would expect Hitchcock to enjoy, sort of a Twilight Zone kind of feel to them. There's a particularly memorable one about a little girl who discovers a plant-monster, and one where a couple gets held hostage by a WWII vet wi ...more
Donald
Oct 15, 2007 Donald rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
In addition to being one of the greatest film directors of all time, and hoating a wonderful, long- running television show, Alfred Hitchcock lent his name to a series of short story anthologies that were almost always first-rate. I read nearly all of them, and reveled in their dark, hard-boiled look at life. The best of these stories are like classic film noir; terribly depressing, but fascinating and irresistable. My personal favorite of all is in this volume. "The Candidate" by Henry Slesar i ...more
Aug 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
This book is a compilation of old stories that were meant to scare people. More or less to get the reader to really think about how the paranormal, elderly, historical people can play a role in society. Some of the tales may be boring, some dragged, and some just got one to say, " What the freak!?"

I honestly thought this book was an alright book. Yes there were some suspenseful, mind twisting, and weird stories but come to think of it, this book was written in I think 1967 (Please do not quote
Terri
Jul 25, 2009 Terri rated it it was amazing
My father gave me this book - which had belong to him - when I was a kid. Many of the stories were a bit over my head at the time and I stayed up light, with a light under the blanket, struggling to get through these addictive & deliciously creepy horror stories. Almost all of them were spine tingling, shudder inducing tales of a cruesome or ironic nature - this is one of those books that you go back to again and again. Good stuff!
Emy
This is without a doubt the most disturbing book I have ever read. I discovered it at the school library when I was 12 after devouring all the horror classics like Dracula and Frankenstein and some of the stories terrified me to my very core. The sentiment of unease I got reading them followed me for months.
Ismael Acevedo
Mar 14, 2015 Ismael Acevedo rated it really liked it
Varios relatos increíblemente decentes, sobretodo el último que puede y debería ser llevado al cine, Kraken Wakes de John Wyndham que está metido extrañamente en una antología de sobretodo cuentos escalofriantes. Muy recomendada esta antología, nomas asegurense de tener tiempo para revisarla porque es algo extensa.
Lisa
Oct 24, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars, because it wasn't bad... just dated, some of them uncomfortably so. And some were so melodramatic it'd turn your hair white, but in an enjoyable, duck and cover, kind of way. I talked about a few of the stories last week on the blog, and I'll probably put it down for now until next fall.
Irene Lazlo
Algunos relatos me han gustado mucho y otros no tanto, le daría 5 estrellas sólo al primero de la colección y a los demás 4 ó 5. El último de los relatos es de John Wyndham y me ha gustado mucho pero es muy largo, yo lo calificaría casi de novela corta, y corta un poco el rollo del resto de historias. Aún así, creo que el gusto de Hitchcock para elegir relatos es original y muy variado.
Tina
Dec 15, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it
Alfred Hitchcock recopila en este libro, narraciones cortas sumamente interesantes, además de escalofriantes y macabras. Fueron escritas por diferentes autores, y como menciona el libro, cualquiera de estos cuentos hubiese sido un éxito cinematográfico. Muy recomendable.
Susan
Dec 04, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
This was on my Mom's bookshelf.....I read it as a teen-ager and remember being enthralled especially with the creepy story "Part Games". Years later I still remember how this short story frightened me!
Lucas
Sep 14, 2015 Lucas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei do livro, foi o primeiro do tipo que li e achei muito interessante. Alguns dos contos são triviais e não chamam tanto a atenção, outros, apesar de curtos, são muito divertidos e prendem muito a atenção.
Recomendo
Connie Hirsch
Jul 06, 2014 Connie Hirsch rated it really liked it
Outstanding collection, most of which I've never read before. The novel by John Wyndham is amazingly prescient about the effects of sea level rise, which unfortunatly I think we're going to see come true.
Angelika Fuller
Aug 11, 2016 Angelika Fuller rated it liked it
Some stories were huge let downs. Others were quite enjoyable. I'm sure that I'll remember bits and pieces of these stories but have a hard time remembering where I read them.
Susie
Feb 10, 2014 Susie rated it it was amazing
These stories are wonderful. Zoom through them or read one a night. Good read.
Maria D'Isidoro
My grandmother bequeathed me a ton of wonderful horror and science fiction anthologies and this is one of them. My grandmother had awesome taste. I'm going to go reread all of this immediately.
Jeremy
Sep 18, 2007 Jeremy rated it liked it
Some good stories, some spooky stories, some strange stories. All in all a good read, but nothing much getting too excited about.
Amy
Jul 23, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Some good stories, some not so great.
Linda Blake
The collection of short stories was uneven, some better than others. The last science fiction novella (1953) was intriguing and in some ways prescient.
Nicole LaPlant
Dec 19, 2015 Nicole LaPlant rated it liked it
although none of these stories are by Hitchcock himself, they are pretty creepy and interesting too. I say give it a go!
Luis Lite
Me he divertido. Como en cualquier conjunto de relatos breves los hay más interesantes y los hay menos. Pero en general es una asociación entretenida y diversa.
Shera
Apr 13, 2013 Shera rated it really liked it
this book is much better than the 58 short stories. Typical Hitchcock fashion, even though all different authors/contributors, they still have the twist that always leaves you wondering.
  • Borderlands 2
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • Classic Ghost Stories by Wilkie Collins, M.R. James, Charles Dickens and Others
  • Weird Tales: 32 Unearthed Terrors
  • The 13 Best Horror Stories of All Time
  • Lot No. 249 (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fifth Annual Collection
  • 13 Phantasms and Other Stories
  • Best New Horror 22 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #22)
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Shadows
  • The Ultimate Werewolf
  • Box of Lies
  • Things Withered
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Bar The Doors
  • Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do on TV (Alfred Hitchcock Presents)
  • 12 Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do on TV
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents 13 More Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do on TV
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents Stories for Late at Night
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents More Stories for Late at Night
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents Stories For Late At Night - Part 2
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories My Mother Never Told Me
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: More Stories My Mother Never Told Me
  • Alfred Hitchcock: Stories My Mother Never Told Me - Part 2

“Life is such unutterable hell, solely because it is sometimes beautiful. If we could only be miserable all the time, if there could be no such things as love or beauty or faith or hope, if I could be absolutely certain that my love would never be returned: how much more simple life would be. One could plod through the Siberian salt mines of existence without being bothered about happiness.” 73 likes