The Almost Archer Sisters

The Almost Archer Sisters

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Georgia "Peachy" Archer always thought she was happy with her choices in life: quitting college, marrying young, raising two boys in the same small town where she grew up. But just as Peachy's life is beginning to settle into a careful routine, her sister's life begins to dangerously unravel.

Beth Archer chose a different life: fancy apartment in Manhattan, fancy friends,...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Almost Archer Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Almost Archer Sisters

Danielle
I'm a sister to one brother, and as I get older (I'm Peachy's age for one more week!) it makes me wonder how my life would be different if I had a sister in it.

A major theme in this book is family, belonging, and forgiveness. When we meet Peachy she seems happy, yet exhausted, from the life that she thinks she chose.
She's unsure whether her life is really composed of her choices, or whether its her response to wanting to be different from her sister. Are we made up of our own plans or do we mir...more
anita
This book is not worth reading unless you enjoy reading about snide comments about America from a character - Lou.

AVERT YOU EYES IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE WHAT I AM WRITING

Here is something that has gotten under my skin...

Lou is a draft dodger from the Vietnam war and made his escape to Canada with his family. His comment about Americans being in Afgahistan threw me for a PATRIOTIC loop.

My comment to this fictional character...Lou you lost your rights to critize a country you did not serve inste...more
Erin
Clever and painfully honest--that's how I'd describe Gabriele's narrator Peachy, and also the book itself. I thought this would be kind of chick lit-ish read, which is what i was looking for, but it was much darker and wittier than I realized. Frankly, it took me a few chapters to get into it, because Gabriele's style is unusual--she jumps around in the timeline, adds details that don't make sense until a little later, and then pops you in the face with a wild plot point like this one: "But that...more
Teresa
Tamela
Really just a quick read and fluffy but had some good points about relationships in families. The characters were complex and interesting.
Elevate Difference
Straddling glamorous Manhattan and a Canadian ex-pat’s farm, The Almost Archer Sisters tells the story of two women who share a deceased mother and little else. Peachy, a young married mother and college dropout, has lived her entire life on a farm where nothing is grown, but land is sold off slowly. Her sister, Beth, left Canada for college in New York, hops across the globe leading the fabulous life, and comes home once a month for her stepfather to cut her hair. While growing up, the girls’ f...more
Jennie
This story started off very slow and the main character, Peach, came across as an unhappy person jealous of others who tries to appear truly happy with her life. She was annoying and spent most of her narration complaining about everyone and everything which I found hard to read. She seemed very reactive in her life/choices rather than proactive. I also struggled through the portions of dialogue between Peach's husband and her sister, Beth. They were each other's first love and first sexual part...more
Diane
I found the narrator's voice to be somewhat unique in that the character had a bit of a "trailer-trash" quality to it. She was pretty coarse and simple, but very honest. This is a book about the strength of family love, and its imperviousness to even the most unforgivable betrayals. It raises questions about how two children could experience the same tragedies, but be impacted so differently. And how much do one's bad experiences excuse us in the way we treat others? When Peachy walks in on her...more
Heidi
ooook... This book is pretty heavy.. These sisters have a rather funky relationship. One sister has husband/kids who are demanding a lot of her. She seems lost even before she discovers her sister and her 'Beau' inflagrante. Although I couldn't put the book down and enjoyed reading it there's a loto f conflict in this book. One sister is a doormat untill something activates her to move forward. I have a hard time dealing with women like her. As the reader you just want to shake her and tell her...more
Cindy
I picked this book up at the library after reading the first sentence, "Until she left the farm for good, I never thought much about what made me different from my sister."
The relationship between the two sisters and the family was a bit over the top; could all of these things really happen in one family? Then at once my answer was Yip-sure could, kind of sounds like home in a totally different way of course.
Beth left the farm; Peachy stayed, got married young and had two kids. Beth had loads o...more
Lena
A little perspective for the all-American patriot here... The point of the book is not to diss or glorify America; in fact the nationality of the characters is largely irrelevant to the story. The author happens to be Canadian, so the backdrop for the novel is naturaly Canada and the US, but the story is meant to focus solely on the universally human relationship between the two sisters, which would carry the same significance had the character been portrayed as living in India or Siberia. Coun...more
Kylin Larsson
I picked this up because I like the typesetting on the cover. (Seriously. And it looked like a light, fun read.) I found it surprisingly heartfelt, with many finely honed sentences, the kind that tell a whole story within themselves. I'd quote something here, but I already took this back to the library.

A pair of half sisters grow up in Canada (just north of Michigan). They have a lifelong rivalry and are fiercely protective of one another, even when most people in their situation would probably...more
Pmdickinson
Thoroughly enjoyed this one, and totally pleasantly surprised. I picked it up b/c the cover screamed "light chick lit quick read for the long weekend"--and the blurb (something about "in the style of Jennifer Weiner" ) backed up that first impression. But this book was a lot more.

Interesting story of two sisters (reminded me a bit of "Jacob Have I Loved"--remember that great one?!?), growing up, growing together, growing apart, but primarily a tale of the narrator and her life: wonderful, aweso...more
Booklover
There were a number of sections of the book when I was not sure if the writer was describing a flashback or not (last 2 chapters).

The Q&A in the back of the book is perfect for a book club.

The book demonstrated love in many forms and how to protect it.

I hope you enjoy the book.
Kim
Mar 23, 2009 Kim rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Beth Gordon
The average rating on this book seemed far lower than I would have expected. Most people who gave it poor ratings 1) didn't like the characters and/or 2) thought the foul language and/or major plot point was too distasteful.

I saw past all that, and I enjoyed this book. It's easy to see how the younger sister took the complacent life while the older sister ran off to live a life in pursuit of material wealth and a husband of status. The natural offshoot is that the sisters' dynamic is unhealthy,...more
Maggie
This was definitely not what I expected. It was depressing, annoying and not really all that good. Luckily it was a quick read.

The book is centered around the relationship of two half-sisters. They share an interesting story. Peachy marries and has children young and stays at their home, a farm, in Canada. Beth, her sister, moves to NYC as fast as she can, and apparently turns into a huge bitch. They have two very different lives, but they intersect at some strange points.

I guess my favorite par...more
Abby
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Characters you grow to care about. Solid life lessons hidden in an engaging story.
Kristi
I think I would have given this 3.5 stars if I could have, as I think 4 makes itlook like I loved this book. I have to say, I think wher eI read this book has a lot to do with why I liked it so much. We were at the cabin and I read it on the lake, floating on an intertube. :)
It was a great beach read. It took no thought, just a simple read through.
I also really liked the characters and liked how the back story behing things came up. I also really like that the end of the book has an actual endin...more
Melissa
I picked up this book thinking it was a total chic-lit read, which it was, but a little more. This is a good read for moms who became a mom at a young age or before they were actually ready and for sisters. Having such a great relationship with my sisters, I found it hard to relate to the drama going on between the sisters, but it was interesting how two sisters brought up in the same situation turned out completely opposite and how their lives affected one another in the later years. I did like...more
Julia
A typical "Chic-lit" book. I did quite enjoy the wit and honesty of the main character. She also portrayed a mother's love for her 2 boys so beautifully, it was heartbreaking at times. The sister was a different story. Her thoughts and conversation was so immature and downright stupid. She is portrayed as a "successful" woman in N.Y. City, and yet has the vocabulary and emotions of a 12 year old. It just didn't ring true to me. By the way that "f" word was over used.
Jodie
I was very indifferent about this book. I read it fairly quickly, which obviously is usually an indicator that I really enjoy and am wrapped up in a book, but after I finished the book I felt that it was just "alright". The ending also had me torn by feeling both happy that I did find out what happened to the characters in the future, but also disappointed that the author seemed to wrap it up so quickly, especially in comparison to the slower pace in which the book moved.
Dawn
I almost feel like giving this book 5 stars...I read it because I thought it would be a fun read, and it was. But it was more than that. It's a funny, emotional, compassionate look at sibling rivalry between sisters. Which sounds like a book that's already been written, but this one is different, told from the sister who stayed at home on the farm's point of view. It's a fast read, tight writing, good story, makes you feel good and you learn something along the way.
Jessica
My mom picked this up for my sister and I to read based on the fact that it was about two sisters, not knowing what it was about. My sister read it first, then gave it to me with the warning that it had NOTHING to do with us or our relationship or her relationship/friendship with my significant other (if you've read this book, you know what I am referring to).

This was a quick read, but one that I would neither recommend to others, nor read again.
Valerie
Oct 06, 2008 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heidi
I'm not sure if I liked this book or not. I really didn't like either of the main characters or the secondary characters. I identified more with "Peachy" but could not like her. I loved the location of the book because it was an area I know well, close to where my Dad grew up. I wish the author would have gone further into the sisters fellings about specific events and maybe a little more about their futures and not left the ending so vague.
Shari
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is about 2 grown sisters – Beth who ambitious and selfish and slightly wild and evil and Georgia Peach (Peachy) who is quiet and unselfish and good. The book focuses on the relationship between the sisters – from the time their mother commits suicide when they were very young and how you can love someone but still be very hurtful to them. I thought the characters were very real and raw and honest.
Chelsea
I still don't know what I really think about this book. A 2 1/2 is a more realistic rating, but I really connected with the main character in a lot of ways. Her experiences and feelings were much more exaggerated than mine, but some of her thoughts about marriage and motherhood were right on the money. I didn't enjoy the swearing and the older sister was just too wacko for me to forgive, but overall an interesting read.
Marjanne
This story seemed typical in some ways and unexpected in others. It kept my interest, but I didn't really like the main characters or could really see their motivations, etc. Peachy seemed one way when she was thinking/narrating, but would respond verbally in way that seemed inconsistent. Her sister was even more difficult to understand. Overall, this was ok, but it was just lacking in some ways.
Debbie
I just couldn't get into this book. I didn't like the characters and it jumped all over the place. It took you to the past, present, and future, but I was never quite sure where exactly it was at any given point. I tried to continue reading it in the hopes it would get better, but then decided I had enough torture and gave up. If anyone gets thru it, please let me know how it ends. :)
Ms. Portia P.
This book is a quick read with witty, irreverent, in-your-face narrative that hits family dysfunction stirred from genetic disposition, maternal abandonment and sibling enablement right on point. Georgia 'Peachy' and Beth are half sisters that although share the same childhood experiences go about discovering their adulthood identities in polar opposition of one another's very shadow.
  • Kissing Games of the World: A Novel