My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes

My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published May 1st 2006 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1973)

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollPuss in Boots by Charles Perrault
Great "Cat" Books
91st out of 798 books — 386 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
376th out of 1,176 books — 871 voters

More lists with this book...

Nadia
A very funny and entertaining book about what an ordinary house cat likes to do and what strange and funny things cats from other countries like to do. The book has very simple rhymes like “The cat from France likes to sing and dance, the cat from Greece joined the police” these are repeated throughout the book. Each page has an amusing image of a cat wearing traditional clothes from their country (or stereotypically from their country). The line that is repeated the most in the book is “but my...more
Keri Payton
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

The cat from Spain flew an aeroplane, the cat from France liked to sing and dance...

Cats are internationally renowned creatures, with assorted traits and talents. Yet, above all, there is one allure that brings out the playfulness in every house cat: a simple box.

'My Cat Likes to Hide i...more
Renee
This is one of my favourite books and brings back many memories of having this read to me by my late Nana. This book also introduced me to many countries for the first time.
Ryce Calunsag
Lovely rhyming text perfect for very young children. And cat lovers.
Woodall
Mar 15, 2014 Woodall added it
Shelves: baby, old-school
finally shared my favorite kids book with my daughter!
Anne-Marie
I always wonder what happened to Eve Sutton, I don’t think she wrote any other children’s books. Lynley Dodd of course went on to create the fantastic Hairy Maclary series plus many more. But this is still my favourite of her books. The Cat from France may well like to sing and dance but MY cat likes to hide in boxes, and that’s just fine with me.
Kate
I loved this story! My daughter loved it! Now we just need to buy our own copy as we can't keep library book forver! Too bad all the stores that I checked don't carry it, because I think this book is much better than some of the books that they always have :)
Emkoshka
I lap up books about cats, but this one didn't do it for me. Still, it teaches a good message that no matter how fancy pants everyone else's life (or cats, in this case) may be, it's perfectly acceptable to go for simple pleasures. Like hiding in boxes. ;)
Julie
Love it!! Loved it as a kid and love reading to my kids. No quiet reading here- we all get to yell out BUT MY CAT LIKES TO HIDE IN BOXES! Great for wee ones learning language paaterns as they can soon paticpate by anticipating what each 'clever cat' does
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
My cat used to like to hide in boxes too. It's a very cat thing isn't it? Great rhyming story to get the little kids involved, and funny too. Yes the cat from Norway did get stuck in the doorway.
Helen
I enjoyed this because of the simple rhymes and the repetition. Isaac's response was a little more polite and restrained. It's given me some good fodder for talking to him about our own cat, though.
Heather L
A chilhood fave, though I recall a squarer book with a white cover. Definitely a cute, funny read any small child/beginning reader would love!
Veronica
This is my Favourite book as a child, even now at 33 I love to read it to my nieces and nephews. Such a great safe book for kids!!
Katy
This is my favourite book ever. I remember reading it when i was in first school. The pictures are as good as the story which is in verse.
Cheryl
My favorite go to book when subbing for the lower grades. F.Y.I. My 5 cats love to hide in boxes!
Siena
it is so funny and the fun part is that my cat Aidan Copper likes to hide in boxes to.
Tammy
Makes me want a cat. I bet mine would hide in boxes, too.
Bronwen
One of my favorite books when I was little.
Taylor
This was my favorite book as a child. :)
Sarah Martinez
Sarah Martinez marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Nancy Miller
Nancy Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014