Start by marking “White City Blue” as Want to Read:
White City Blue

White City Blue

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Estate agent Frankie Blue is a liar - but one who always tries to tell the truth. He has been friends with Diamond Tony, a hairdresser, Colin, a computer nerd, and Nodge, a cabbie, since schooldays. Now they are thirty, and trying to live the same life as they did then - drinking, girls, coke, and football. But Frankie is bored.
Published May 4th 2000 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about White City Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White City Blue

Erin W
I read this for a class way back in my undergrad days. The class was based on the modern British novel, and it's part of a pretty popular subgenre called "lad lit" AKA "What hell hath Nick Hornby wrought?" It's like chick lit, except it's worse because it's full of misogyny. (Not that I would include Hornby in that category. He, unlike most of his contemporaries, can write a troubled man who is nonetheless decent.)

This particular novel is about the baffling need for men to hold onto friendships
John Salmon
Jul 27, 2014 John Salmon is currently reading it
Not liking this one too much chiefly because the protagonist is such a wanker and his narrative voice so odious. Most likely won't finish it.
Erin Stropes
I loved the beginning of this book - quirky characters, fun voice, a little thread of nasty drama running under the surface. The descriptions of different types of friendship are astute and hysterical.

Sadly, about three quarters of the way through the story kind of unravels. I don't mind if everyone's a jerk, but it was just something about the mix of cynicism and realism that was more unpleasant to read than anything else. So in the end, it was unsatisfying, and I was more disappointed than any
Printable Tire
Dec 06, 2008 Printable Tire added it
Recommends it for: thirty-somethings
I was really enjoying this book - I guess it would fall under whatever the male version of chicklit is - until the mammoth disappointment of the surprise secret of one of the pro's friends. This book better be autobiographical, because as a believable plot point it totally sucked. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but just think Chasing Amy.

I think I was reading this along the time my girlfriend dumped me after college. I know I bought it in 2004 when I was at Oxford.
Mark
Winner, 1999 Whitbread First Novel Award
Edward Davies
A funny yet slightly disturbing tale of male friendship in the modern age, this twists itself into an almost sinister story that tries to explain how difficult it is for men to form meaningful friendships with other men that aren't entirely based on getting drunk and watching sport together.
Josie
One of those books that was easy to read, but didn't really make you feel anything.
Just a very easy read I guess.
This is Tim Lott's first novel and I can't say I'd be actively seeking out his pthers in a hurry!

Although that said, it was nice to read something so very English!
Geetly
This book reiterates the fact that the our first reaction towards committment is always that of aversion.Even the second,third and fourth. Having said that,while this book is an accurate portrayal of friendship in today's times,I would like to think its a sad exaggeration.
S.K.Dinning
A really good book about what it is like to be a young man in modern Britain.
da-wildchildz
Following on from the dumbest book I’ve ever is the daftest book I’ve read. The difference? Nothing. Shallow characters, tedious plots and bad writing, they might as well be playing snap. End of story.
Nacho
Una sorpresa inesperada. Me la leí en un viaje de tren de unas tres horas. Que engancha, vamos.

En castellano, se titula White City a secas.
Vy Nguyen
Interesting read, so descriptive i could picture the friends in my mind. Dont know how precise it is to a guys state of mind but worth reading.
Elwin
Gelezen in NL's. Titel de Leugenmakelaar. Deze was echter niet bekend in GoodReads. Matig boek.
Ellen
The ending totally rectified everything that was wrong with the book. And by ending I mean the last sentence.
Karli
Karli marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Chris Stanley
Chris Stanley is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jordan Hoxsie
Jordan Hoxsie marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Burak Dogan
Burak Dogan marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kevon
Kevon marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • Our Fathers
  • The Anatomy School
  • Theory of War
  • Bleeding London
Fearless Rumours Of A Hurricane How to Be Invisible Scent Of Dried Roses Under the Same Stars