Start by marking “Dead Giveaway (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Giveaway (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #3)

Dead Giveaway (A Yellow Rose Mystery #3)

She's a Texas heiress and a brand-new P.I. specializing in adoption cases. But Abby Rose focuses more on what money can't buy-like answers in a case of a baby abandoned years ago and a present-day murder.
Published November 1st 2005 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Dead Giveaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Giveaway

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 04, 2010 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series, which I wrongly thought was second, however, I enjoyed it as a stand-alone. The story was compelling and the mystery was an actual mystery. It took me to the ending to figure out the connections to the past and present.

Now off to read the others.
Killercalico
May 22, 2010 Killercalico rated it it was amazing
I love the Yellow Rose mystery series. Each one gets better and better.
Rissa Flores
May 13, 2015 Rissa Flores rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-review, owned
When Abby Rose decided to take on a P.I case to find Will Knight's biological parents, she never expected to find herself in the middle of a mysterious murder case that was buried nearly twenty years ago. It all started when Verna Mae, the woman who found Will Knight in her doorstep when he was a baby, whom Abby Rose has also recently interviewed, was found murdered in an ally near a coffee shop. Now Abby Rose has partnered herself with the Houston PD Homicide Division to find out more about Ver ...more
Carla Waddell
Sep 03, 2016 Carla Waddell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DELIGHTFUL!!!

Oh my...I so thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Haven't actually read the first book in this series but that didn't matter. I'm sure I'll do so at some point but I'd rather move forward than read how the main characters' relationship got started. Besides, their personas (individually and collectively) was in-depth enough within this second book in the series that I didn't feel like I was missing some vital piece of the puzzle.

I've liked other books I've read so far from this author. As fa
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
3.8

Another solid installment in the Yellow Rose series.

This time we deal with a bi-racial child who is looking for his birth parents. This time Abby's adoption mystery is very closely connected to another case, one that her boyfriend Sgt. Kline has caught.

There is a bit of racial tension in this book and as it is Texas that makes it understandable especially when Abby is dealing with the older Texan generation.

Anyhoo, Abby is in more danger than usual, Jeff proves that he's a good guy and ther
Dharia Scarab
Feb 05, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Jen Ifer's Inklings
Feb 04, 2008 Jen Ifer's Inklings rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
This is the third book in a series of five- so far. I happened to read it out of order though, with this being my first in the Yellow Rose Mystery Series.

I really liked it more than I expected to. Dispite my not having read the first 2 in the series, I did not feel that I was missing much important information. As with most of these series, the book recapped most information that I would need to understand the relationships of the characters in the book.

Also, most of these chick-lit mystery boo
Cindy
Aug 07, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries, blog, cozy, series
Set in modern Houston, (yay!) this book features Abby Rose as a private investigator specializing in adoption. Abby has a meeting with a woman who has some information about her latest client, a rising basketball star. But the meeting doesn't go as planned - the woman is dead. Abby jumps into the investigation, frustrating her copy boyfriend, and putting herself at risk. I liked Abby and the setup and plot were both well done, but it was predictable. I thought Abby took some unreasonable risks. ...more
Joanna
Mar 02, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Absolutely marvelous. I am so glad I stumbled across this series. Abby Rose is the cat's pajamas!

My only complaint---there are only four books out so far, and I foolishly skipped book one. So I have two left, but I already know the solution to the first one. There is no doubt that I will be reading it anyway, and will be vigilant in watching for book five as well!

Edited to add--there are FIVE out already, so count me in for watching for book SIX as well as reading the three that are out already
Shirley Worley
Oct 24, 2013 Shirley Worley rated it liked it
Enjoy the Texas flavor of the Yellow Rose series, although I could do without so many corny sayings, like "the woman had more nerve than a sumo wrestler turned cat burglar' or 'the clock was loud enough to jar the pecans off the tree', or a situation like 'a skunk down a well'. But, hey, maybe they talk like that in Texas, who knows?
My error in thinking this was the second in the series, when it is actually the third, and it seemed to cause no adverse effects. The author recapped the past easily
Paula
Mar 20, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd in the Yellow Rose Mystery. They keep getting better with every one.

In this one Kate's client Will is trying to find his birth mother. He was left on the doorstep of Verna Mae, but the police took Will and placed him with another family. Will is grown now and plays college basketball and is quite good.

Verna Mae wants to talk to Will, but on the way to meet Kate, she is murdered. Kate is trying to find out why and finds a whole lot of people who are not telling the truth about th
Kim j
Apr 14, 2013 Kim j rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweeney
I am starting to like this series b/c unlike some others this book can be read on its own. Yes, she does talk a bit about the past but does not waste space with it like normal thought patterns. I can relate to the Texas issues because I live here. Abby is a likeable character and fits the profile. I look forward to the next ones and I hope her new series does not disappoint like so many other authors. Excellent read!!!
Sara
May 17, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
#3 in the series and Abby Rose hit the ground running in this one! Trying to find the birth parents of a baby abandoned 19 years ago (who happens to be a sports superstar) seems a fairly straight-forward case for Abby's adoption investigation business....but little did she know what was ahead. Another winner from Leann Sweeney!
Michelle
Jul 28, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading Dead Giveaway by Leann Sweeney.

Dead Giveaway
Leann Sweeney
Mystery
256 pages

Lynn Demsky
Aug 15, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
A fast moving, entertaining plot, read and story! Read it in less than 8 hours and was just fascinated with the characters, story and just everything! Abby didn't disappoint me in this story at all and was truly disappointed to find that there is only one more book in this series for me read! But I'm off to find it, read it and enjoy it! You don't need to read them in order either!
Vickie
Nov 15, 2013 Vickie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
I love how Abby follows her leads whatever path they take her. She is wrong some of the time and sometimes inadvertently finds a clue. She is learning as she goes. She's not perfect. I love that Abby is flawed but does what's right. This is a tightly woven mystery with some eyebrow raising moments of, "OH! Didn't see that comin'!"
I do love this series.
Rachael
Apr 12, 2009 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
my first murder mystery beside all the v.c. andrews junk I read in high school. it wasn't half bad. but I kept thinking there was going to be some connection with kate and abby with the dead woman whom they look alike with.
Donna
May 21, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing
This was a great mix of romance and suspense. I was suspicious of the minister from the beginning, but was still surprised in the end. I just love Abby and Jeff. Their characters have really developed since the last book.
Christine Jensen
Jul 26, 2011 Christine Jensen rated it liked it
Another good addition to this series. A little less language than book 2, which I appreciated. I really like the adoption angle in each of these books. Adding a murder mystery with the discovery of someone's birth parents adds more to the story. Fun series with good characters
Natalea
Feb 02, 2014 Natalea rated it really liked it
This series is getting better and better! This one could have even been longer:) enjoyed it a lot. Good mystery, likeable heroine and satisfying ending. Read it during my son's three consecutive naps.
Mitchie R
Dec 13, 2010 Mitchie R rated it really liked it
Clean...fun little mystery
Marie
Mar 05, 2014 Marie rated it liked it
Love a good murder without too much gore and suspense. I love that it is written about Texas and I have been to places in the book and met people in the story. Fun!
Mary
Oct 30, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Delightful read. Brilliant plot.
Dayleh55
Aug 21, 2010 Dayleh55 rated it it was amazing
ENJOYED!!!!!
Heather
Dec 28, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
This was another fun mysterday in the Yellow Rose series. I liked it and the first one (Pick Your Poison) better than the second (Wedding to Die For).
Alice
Nov 11, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Cozy sub- genre
special focus adoption.
Joy
Mar 31, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
This book has smart, likeable characters, and is written in a way that keeps the reader engaged.
Vicky
Jul 21, 2009 Vicky rated it really liked it
Just a good page-turning easy read.
Carol
Nov 26, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing
Wow...I REALLY enjoyed this book....couldn't put it down!!!!!!
Janell
May 14, 2011 Janell rated it liked it
Enjoyable characters with an interesting mystery. The conclusion had a few twists that were a little "out there" but a good read.
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • East of Peculiar (Hannah Garvey Mystery #1)
  • Deep Sea Dead (Pauline Sokol, #4)
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry. Currently a school nurse, she began writing about fifteen years ago, fulfilling her lifelong dream. After perfecting her writing skills with classes and a sma ...more
More about Leann Sweeney...

A Yellow Rose Mystery (5 books)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • A Wedding to Die For (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #2)
  • Shoot from the Lip (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #4)
  • Pushing Up Bluebonnets (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #5)