Start by marking “Yellow Eyes” as Want to Read:
Yellow Eyes

Yellow Eyes

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Far back in the wildest of the mountain country hides Yellow Eyes, the great mountain lion, the most cunning and powerful of his hunted kind. Beautiful and cruel, like all big cats, Yellow Eyes and his mate, The Golden One, are tawny shadows lurking in the forest. Rutherford Montgomery is known for his honesty in the portrayal of animal life. In his stories animals are ani ...more
Published May 1st 1937 by Caxton Press

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Eyes

Mel Campbell
In grade four I was seated at a desk at the very back of the room, next to a little bookshelf. I seem to remember being frequently bored in class, having done my work quickly, and so I'd get books from the shelf and surreptitiously read them at my desk – if I kept the book on my lap Miss Perry couldn't tell my bowed head from the other kids'.

This was one of the books I read that way, and other Goodreads reviews seem to suggest that other people discovered it at around the same age I did. I'm su
Phair
Found my diary from 1962 with a list of books read complete with ratings. Alas, no comments. This one was from the paperback series that you could buy through school. We got a catalog to pick from & ordered the books- probably for a whopping 35 to 50 cents each. Still have a few around someplace. I was on a real kick reading animal stories- this was about a mountain lion.
Tagra
My absolute favourite book as a kid. I was obsessed with cougars for years afterwards. I rescued a copy of it off the back shelf of my elementary school because they said they were going to toss anything left at the end of the year to prepare for renovations. Copies of this seem hard to come by, so I'm glad I did.
Leslie Patten
Rutherford Montgomery writes fabulous young adult novels about wildlife. This man knew wildlife from keen observation and incorporates his knowledge into readable and interesting books. He was hired by Disney in the 50's to advise on nature films even.

I've read most all of his in-and out-of-print wildlife novels and I think 'Yellow Eyes' is the best, along with 'Cacajou', his first novel about wolverines.

Yellow Eyes is about a cougar, and Indian trapper who is the human here, and a lion hunter.
Teresa Thompson Arcangel
"Yellow Eyes" is among my favorite books that I read when I was in elementary school. I read it many times, and treasured it so much that I still have my copy more than 45 years later. Highly recommended!
Mike Figat
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I read this book over and over. I was taken by the story. He lives a life where so much is difficult, yet he prevails. One regret I may have in my own life is that I did not take his example to heart... not yet anyway.
Jessica
I read this book as a child and it has stuck with me though the years. I haven't had much luck finding a copy of it to re-read, but once I do I am going to purchace it! I love animals and in particular cats especially the cougar :D
Russ
One of the few books from my childhood that I still think about on a regular basis, this book shaped my early love of animal and my views on wildlife preservation. I hope to pick up a copy and pass it on to my grandchildren.
Dave Fordice
One of my favorites as a kid. After reading this, I would go to the local museum in the town where I grew up and just stare at the cougar and panther they had on display.
Stephanie A.
Classic old-timey wildlife novel about a cougar's life (albeit very violent. Prey animals, cougars and hunting dogs alike getting ripped to shreds all over the place).
Antone
Aug 14, 2009 Antone added it
I've read this book countless times over the years it was one of the first books I read!
Kevin
i rated this book in the mindset of my eleven year-old self. i loved this book!
Bob
I enjoyed Rutherford Montgomery's books. I guess I read it while in about 5th grade.
Doug
Something about the elusive nature of these/this big cat(s). Great fiction as a kid
John
My favorite fourth grade book.
Ariela
I absolutely love this book!
Debsta
Debsta marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kildee House El Blanco: The Legend of the White Stallion The Capture of the Golden Stallion Gray Wolf The Golden Stallion's Revenge