Selling The American Way: U. S. Propaganda And The Cold War

Selling The American Way: U. S. Propaganda And The Cold War

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  1 review
In 1955, the United States Information Agency published a lavishly illustrated booklet called "My America." Assembled ostensibly to document "the basic elements of a free dynamic society," the booklet emphasized cultural diversity, political freedom, and social mobility and made no mention of McCarthyism or the Cold War. Though hyperbolic, "My America" was, as Laura A. Bel...more
Published June 18th 2008 by University of Pennsylvania Press

Phyllis Soybel
I liked the book a great deal. It was scholarly without being boring. I finished it in an afternoon, nut will be going back to mine it for some lecture material. I especially appreciated the material on the use of American Muslims and others to combat anti-Americanism in the Middle East. This was interesting in that American policy makers were aware of the need to tailor some of the message in religious terms different religions could understand.
Gme
Gme marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Derramy Bailey
Derramy Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
May 16, 2012
Jon Klug
Jon Klug marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2012
Allison Archer
Allison Archer is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2012
Mike Nicholson
Mike Nicholson marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2011
Speaking of America: Readings in U.S. History, Vol. I: To 1877 Selling the American Way: U.S. Propaganda and the Cold War Selling the American Way: U.S. Propaganda and the Cold War Speaking of America: Readings in U. S. History since 1865 CD-ROM for Belmonte's Speaking of America: Readings in U.S. History, Volume I: To 1877