Start by marking “Glensheen's Daughter: The Marjorie Congdon Story” as Want to Read:
Glensheen's Daughter: The Marjorie Congdon Story

Glensheen's Daughter: The Marjorie Congdon Story

Glensheen's Daughter is the story of Marjorie Congdon, the adopted daughter of heiress Elisabeth Congdon, and the brutal murders at Glensheen, one of America's great mansions.
Published December 31st 2004 by Cable Publishing (first published November 23rd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Glensheen's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glensheen's Daughter

Becky Loader
Aug 17, 2016 Becky Loader rated it liked it
How on earth did Marjorie Congdon get away with so much? Plotting her mother's murder, arson, lying, coercing men to commit crimes, more arson, feeding drugs to Helen Hagen at her last meal, etc. etc. I did go to see the musical based on this book, and while I was very impressed with the actress who played Marjorie, I was appalled at what a nasty person she is.

I was fascinated with the portrait of Glensheen, and I had to get a few books out of the library so I could see the architecture and the
Angela Hughes
Jan 19, 2010 Angela Hughes rated it it was amazing
This story never ends. To this day, this woman is still stirring up trouble and doing what she does best...lie, cheat, steal, kill. She had everything a girl could ask for, and it just wasn't enough. Evil. Black hearted. Selfish. Manipulative. If the facts presented in this book are to be believed, this is a woman I'd have no interest in ever meeting, unless it was to tell her "shame on you!" GREAT read.
Albehm
Dec 07, 2009 Albehm rated it really liked it
Anyone from Minnesota needs to read this one.
Kelly Crosgrove Sullivan Bredon
W. O.W. What an amazing book! If this book was fiction I would have put it down saying "no way, this is just too crazy to read." I knew of the murder mystery surrounding Glensheen mansion but this book really puts it all together. Had no idea how crazy it really was. Anyone from Minnesota or enjoys Duluth area should read this! Wish I could have given it a TEN!!!!!
Leah Herdering
Jun 29, 2014 Leah Herdering rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read about the bizarre Glensheen murders. The author does a great job of joining history and literature to create a beautifully and easily read story.
Rita
Sep 11, 2014 Rita rated it really liked it
She is still alive...better watch out!! A sociopath for sure, interesting read.
Cathd76
May 30, 2014 Cathd76 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. Living so close to this place peaked the interest.
John
Oct 12, 2010 John rated it liked it
Well written recounting of the events and disasters of Marjorie Congdon's life. After reading this book it gives one pause as to whether justice is ever served. It is amazing that this woman got away with killing so many people, 3, and starting over 40 arson fires and passing hundreds of bad checks and scamming so many people for large amounts of cash. I wonder how much her inheritance and wealth had to do with her freedom, obviously hiring the best lawyers is a big help, but there were SO MANY ...more
Kathryn
Mar 03, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
This is a true story about an heiress who is an arsonist, and, probably, a murderer. It is interesting to me, what makes someone a serial criminal. And this woman, an heiress, even - what could motivate her? It is also interesting that she was tried for crimes committed while she lived in Duluth, MN, and Ajo, Arizona, both of which I've visited. Not especially well written, though. And the crucial scenes in the book (the murders) are fabricated.
Nneutz
Jun 03, 2011 Nneutz rated it liked it
I first got intrigued by the mystery behind the Glensheen's mansion murder by a co-worker so I picked up Will to Murder. I read the book and then that summer we toured the mansion which the gift shop included this book about Marjorie Congedon. So far the first part appears to overlap a lot with the previous book I read. Will see how it continues....... In the end it added more detail to the original book I read.
Lora
Feb 07, 2008 Lora rated it really liked it
What is so shocking about this book is that it is non-fiction. As the story develops, it is a work that would normally provoke thoughts of "this author is being unrealistic" until you see the photographs, the newsarticles, and the police reports. The author also wrote SoLiAh, the Sara Jane Olson Story, which I've heard is very good as well. Intelligent writer-
Dessa
Mar 26, 2012 Dessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbswap, favorites
I don't even know where to begin on this. I honestly think that Roger Caldwell was framed and Marjorie very much had something to do with her mother's murder.
When the book got to the part of where Wally Hagan got together with Marjorie and how he dismissed his children completely really upset me.
Kiessa
Oct 30, 2011 Kiessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Few topics are as chilling as this one: A privileged sociopathic heiress goes to any means to collect all that she feels entitled to receive. That she did it in the state where I live, in a home I have visited makes it all more real. Extraordinarily, grippingly, suspensefully disturbing
Darlene Gelle
Nov 20, 2013 Darlene Gelle rated it it was amazing
I read this book because this lady now lives in my parent's retirement community in Tucson. Figured I'd better learn about this psycho woman before I meet her at the end of the month.

Scary
Sharon
Oct 04, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
I was at this mansion this summer so the book held some interest for me. I really did enjoy reading the different insights to the people involved.
Sue
Feb 24, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Can't believe how manipulative some people can be.... and how they can get away with murder.
Sara Zimmerman
Sara Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Julie Nordendale
Julie Nordendale marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Christina Kind
Christina Kind marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Rachel Petersen
Rachel Petersen rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Jesse Goros
Jesse Goros marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Jennifer Longinow
Jennifer Longinow marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Brissany
Brissany rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Sarah added it
Aug 02, 2016
Anna Konopacky
Anna Konopacky marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Alfredo
Alfredo marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
  • Will to Murder: The True Story Behind the Crimes & Trials Surrounding the Glensheen Killings
  • Kevin Kling's Holiday Inn
  • The Hypochondriacs: Nine Tormented Lives
  • Fleeing Fundamentalism: A Minister's Wife Examines Faith
  • Christmas Light
  • Haunted Wisconsin
  • Abercrombie Trail
  • A Match Made at Christmas (Christmas in New York, #4)
  • Exploring the Lusitania: Probing the Mysteries of the Sinking That Changed History
  • The Russian Girl
  • Never Refuse a Sheikh (International Bad Boys, #5)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Dog Did That!: 101 Stories about the Crazy Antics of Our Canine Companions
  • Beauty and the Cowboy (Big Marietta Fair #1)
  • Seduced by the Baron (Fairy Tales of New York, #4)
  • Last Chance Christmas
  • American Sucker
  • On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick, and 9/11: A Story of Loss and Renewal
  • Strange Justice: The Selling of Clarence Thomas