Start by marking “Racism 101” as Want to Read:
Racism 101

Racism 101

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In Racism 101, Nikki Giovanni indicts higher education for the inequities it perpetuates, contemplates the legacy of the 1960s, provides a survival guide for black students on predominantly white campuses (complete with razor-sharp comebacks to the dumb questions constantly asked of black students), and excoriates Spike Lee while offering her own ideas for a film about Mal ...more
Published May 1st 1995 by Quill (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Racism 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Racism 101

Danni Green
Jan 11, 2016 Danni Green rated it it was amazing
This book is not an abstract, theoretical beginner’s guide to understanding racism. Rather, it is a collection of deeply personal essays crafted by an extraordinary story-weaver sharing her own experiences with learning about how racism operates and has operated in the USA, and transmitting that knowledge to students and readers across a great breadth of life experiences. Using stories from her childhood, extensive explorations of Star Trek episodes and characters, and speculative journeys into ...more
Amanda
Jul 19, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: race
This is a book of essays covering a wide range of topics. Education, family, parenting, aging, racism, writing, working, and living are the ones that stand out most to me. I like the anecdote about driving while black in New Jersey. Getting lost at 3 in the morning, getting pulled over by the cops. The cops were sort of like, "okay you ladies have a safe trip." To the author, this was an indication that she and her car mate had reached "old" and therefore were no longer perceived as a threat.

The
Brent
Dec 10, 2008 Brent rated it really liked it
I initially chose to read this book because the synopses that I read about it convinced me that it was a creative and fresh perspective that I had never previously explored. As a white male, this book that could be labeled as black, feminist literature would introduce me to a new genre. Therefore, my interaction with this book is a study in racial relations in itself.

Her writing was characterized by wit, dry humor, anger, small joys, and resilience. She was angry about how, “The fact of slavery
Giabao EVHS Pham
May 22, 2015 Giabao EVHS Pham rated it really liked it
This book was a typical informational book about racism. I got the information I need and wanted to know. Overall, very informative and descriptive.
Mary
Apr 24, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: essays
Some compelling essays here--about NG's childhood growing up in Knoxville and her college years at Fisk. Lots of great quotes, like, "I plant geraniums. No one will remember that. I have an allergy to tomato fuzz. No one will care. I write poetry and sometimes prose. No one wil know me...let alone what I thought I did. But while I live, during this all to brief period b/t birth and death, my life and work have been meaningful to me. 'The rest is silence.'"
Michelle
Dec 15, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
I think that many were surprised by this work because it's not poetry and it's not necessarily about "racism." We all need to make some time to sit back and listen to our elders and this is is the crux of her essays. Listening. Hearing about the experience of Black women and making no assumptions.
CTRfilm
Sep 09, 2012 CTRfilm rated it liked it
Excellent introduction to understanding the reality of racist thought and action as well as to Nikki Giovanni's political writing. If you like her political and socially conscious poetry, you will probably like Racism 101!
Shauna
Oct 09, 2007 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those willing to learn
the title draws you in...this is a great collection of essays i read during college and still read at least every 6 months..she is so wise and makes me feel like i am wise too
Cecilia
Such a great book! Almost made me want to attend Virginia Tech...that is before the school shooting. Experiencing one school shooting in my life is enough.
Christie
Blunt, no nonsense and honest words from Ms. Nikki herself. What can I say....she still rings true and bright for me.
Deidra
Jul 07, 2008 Deidra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lo-ved it! Here, here, for an honest open discussion about race.
Chanelle
Jan 22, 2015 Chanelle rated it it was amazing
This book and all that comes with it is absolutely fantastic!
Tamera
Dec 20, 2008 Tamera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
Excellent! Learned alot, wish it was REQUIRED reading.
Tialiah
Oct 31, 2008 Tialiah rated it liked it
great read, very witty.
Nadine Jones
Nadine Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Ashley Steves
Ashley Steves marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Inez
Inez rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Afrobelle
Afrobelle marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Maryann Wright
Maryann Wright marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Timiebi
Timiebi marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Ashley Cartier
Ashley Cartier marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Rosezetta
Rosezetta marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jaime Dance
Jaime Dance marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
  • Jazz Cleopatra: Josephine Baker in Her Time
  • Why Black People Tend to Shout: Cold Facts and Wry Views from a Black Man's World
  • Bullwhip Days: The Slaves Remember: An Oral History
  • The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study
  • Interiors: A Black Woman's Healing in Progress
  • Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • By Any Means Necessary
  • The End of Anger: A New Generation's Take on Race and Rage
  • Affirmative Action: Racial Preference in Black and White
  • Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete
  • Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored: Tie In Edition
  • Rocking the Babies: A Novel
  • Teaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom
  • Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys
  • Delany Sisters' Book of Everyday Wisdom
  • Don't Block the Blessings
  • Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study
22050
Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author. She has written numerous volumes of poetry and has been honored with loads of awards, including 20 honorary degrees from national colleges and universities. Her poems are undeniably authentic distillations of black life in America. She was editor of Fisk University's literary magazine. She lives in Blacksbu ...more
More about Nikki Giovanni...