Gigi, the Story of a Merry-Go-Round Horse

Gigi, the Story of a Merry-Go-Round Horse

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This children's classic, first published in 1943, relates the travels and adventures of a carousel horse. Gigi is the favorite horse of the children who ride the carousel in the Prater in old Vienna. When WWI breaks out, the carousel is dismantled and Gigi finds himself on his way to a small merry-go-round in Paris. Further adventures take him to London and eventually to A...more
Published September 1943 by Houghton Mifflin Company (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Gigi, the Story of a Merry-Go-Round Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gigi, the Story of a Merry-Go-Round Horse

David
This is my daughter's favorite book.

It's about the wonder in children's eyes, and what we lose as we (alas!) grow up. I always wanted to grow up. My girls knew childhood was a good deal, and didn't want to grow up, at least not quickly.

Quite poignant.
virginialeesmith
Circa 1943. My grandmother use to read this to me as a kid. Partly because it is about a carousel horse and partly because it is about WWII. Ie, when WWII breaks out, Gigi dismantled from the carousel and bummed out over the invading nazis..
Jacqueline
A book I remember reading and loving as a child.
Kristy Mckibben
Kristy Mckibben marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014

Elizabeth Foster, daughter of Maximilian Foster (a writer/playwright) and Elizabeth Dickson, born 1905, was an U.S. writer and editor.
More about Elizabeth Foster...
The Islanders The House at Noddy Cove Dirigo Point The Days Between Singing Beach