Start by marking “Rule the Web: How to Do Anything and Everything on the Internet---Better, Faster, Easier” as Want to Read:

In Rule the Web, you'll learn how to:

* Browse recklessly, free from viruses, ads, and spyware

* Turn your browser into a secure and powerful anywhere office

* Raze your old home page and build a modern Web masterpiece

* Get the news so fast it'll leave skidmarks on your inbox

* Fire your broker and let the Internet make you rich

* Claim your fifteen megabytes of fame with a blo
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Rule the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rule the Web

Graham
Jul 15, 2008 Graham added it
Get out your highlighters, folks!: If the idea of reading another technical manual makes you yawn, let me assure you that this is NOT that kind of manual. Reading this book was like spending time with a bag of chocolate chip cookies. I started out saying I'd just read one chapter and soon found I'd read the whole book in an evening. Frauenfelder, well-known in internet circles for his websites, blogs and articles, is also a graphic designer and his right-brain comes in handy for making this book ...more
Ben
Oct 28, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it
first off, i luuuurve the boingboing crew, so when i saw that mark fraunfelder was coming out with this book, my interest was immediately piqued. prior to purchasing, i was a regular visitor to the book's promo-blog (now defunct), which popped off 1-minute podcasts of bon-bon-sized tips from the book...this struck me as a good way of selling the book itself, but i wonder if the site should have been left up and running to prepare fore the (inevitable) sequel.

i expected not to find this book usef
Kbord
May 13, 2011 Kbord rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Internet users
The book is filled with simple, clear instructions for doing many different types of tasks over the Internet. Subjects include Internet security and privacy, podcasting, blogging, RSS feeds, storing photos online, how to use Google more effectively, why to ditch Internet Explorer and use Firefox, and many, many more. Information covers both Apple Mac computers and IBM-compatible Windows PCs.

The book is organized into chapters by subject and is meant to be read topically rather than cover-to-cove
Kyle
May 01, 2009 Kyle rated it it was amazing
I'm not a Luddite, but I am also not particularly compu-savvy either. Thus, this book was pitched perfectly for me. I learned quite a few 'hacks' that have allowed me to optimize my web browsing habits (or make procrastination far more productive depending on how you look at it). The easy to follow directions on how to direct RSS feeds to your igoogle page was very helpful. Now, when I log into google, I can quickly see the latest updates to all of the blogs, newspapers, journals, and google top ...more
Robert Run
Mar 20, 2009 Robert Run rated it liked it
Recommends it for: internet beginners and students
This was a great book when it came out and the methods for spreading yourself out on the internet work.. I can testify..

The nature of technology is such that a book like this needs to be updated every 6 months!

It is a good reference book. I go back to it for techniques and have page flags with subjects on them.
Lost In A Fog
Feb 28, 2008 Lost In A Fog rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
You can find all of this, and probably updated, on the web. But I wanted a version I could take to bed with me to read. Pick a topic of interest or just browse through it and you will learn something...
Karla
Aug 08, 2007 Karla rated it liked it
This is a good book for references to information on the internet.
Holly
Aug 22, 2009 Holly rated it liked it
Great general overview of everything you want to know about on the internet. Some of the newer trends aren't included, though, but that's the nature of print vs. web resources.
Jenne
Sep 06, 2007 Jenne rated it really liked it
A lot of this wasn't really news to me, but it would be an EXCELLENT resource for someone who is just getting started with this whole "internet" thing.
John Montgomery
Jan 19, 2016 John Montgomery rated it really liked it
Somewhat dated (2007) but still full of helpful info.
Dan Studnicky
Oct 21, 2007 Dan Studnicky rated it liked it
If you're a nerd you probably already know most of this stuff - BUT there are some helpful tips for tasks like plane seating, email management and more.
Glen
Aug 10, 2011 Glen rated it it was ok
was dated when it came out
cassie
Jan 30, 2008 cassie rated it liked it
Good information, but like most books about technology, some of it was already out-of-date.
Gary
Gary rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2011
Yashima
Yashima rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2009
Mychal
Mychal rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Fish
Fish rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2009
Mark Mikula
Mark Mikula rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Rob Dhillon
Rob Dhillon rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2009
Jim Leftwich
Jim Leftwich rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2007
Dena
Dena rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2009
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2008
Jamie Wilking
Jamie Wilking rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Jerry
Jerry rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2008
Reader
Reader rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2007
Mjklin
Mjklin rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2008
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine. Founder of Boingboing.net.

My books: The Happy Mutant Handbook (1995, Riverhead), a guide to offbeat pop culture. Mad Professor (2003, Chronicle), science experiments for kids. Worlds Worst (2005, Chronicle), a guide to the worst stuff on Earth, The Computer (2005, Carlton books), an illustrated history of computers. Rule the Web (2007, St. Martins), a guide to onl
More about Mark Frauenfelder...