Start by marking “Rule the Web: How to Do Anything and Everything on the Internet---Better, Faster, Easier” as Want to Read:

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Rule the Web, you'll learn how to:

* Browse recklessly, free from viruses, ads, and spyware

* Turn your browser into a secure and powerful anywhere office

* Raze your old home page and build a modern Web masterpiece

* Get the news so fast it’ll leave skidmarks on your inbox

* Fire your broker and let the Internet make you rich

* Claim your fifteen megabytes of fame with a blo...more
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Rule the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rule the Web

Graham
Jul 15, 2008 Graham added it
Get out your highlighters, folks!: If the idea of reading another technical manual makes you yawn, let me assure you that this is NOT that kind of manual. Reading this book was like spending time with a bag of chocolate chip cookies. I started out saying I'd just read one chapter and soon found I'd read the whole book in an evening. Frauenfelder, well-known in internet circles for his websites, blogs and articles, is also a graphic designer and his right-brain comes in handy for making this book...more
Ben
first off, i luuuurve the boingboing crew, so when i saw that mark fraunfelder was coming out with this book, my interest was immediately piqued. prior to purchasing, i was a regular visitor to the book's promo-blog (now defunct), which popped off 1-minute podcasts of bon-bon-sized tips from the book...this struck me as a good way of selling the book itself, but i wonder if the site should have been left up and running to prepare fore the (inevitable) sequel.

i expected not to find this book usef...more
Kbord
May 14, 2011 Kbord rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Internet users
The book is filled with simple, clear instructions for doing many different types of tasks over the Internet. Subjects include Internet security and privacy, podcasting, blogging, RSS feeds, storing photos online, how to use Google more effectively, why to ditch Internet Explorer and use Firefox, and many, many more. Information covers both Apple Mac computers and IBM-compatible Windows PCs.

The book is organized into chapters by subject and is meant to be read topically rather than cover-to-cove...more
Kyle
I'm not a Luddite, but I am also not particularly compu-savvy either. Thus, this book was pitched perfectly for me. I learned quite a few 'hacks' that have allowed me to optimize my web browsing habits (or make procrastination far more productive depending on how you look at it). The easy to follow directions on how to direct RSS feeds to your igoogle page was very helpful. Now, when I log into google, I can quickly see the latest updates to all of the blogs, newspapers, journals, and google top...more
Robert Run
Mar 20, 2009 Robert Run rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: internet beginners and students
This was a great book when it came out and the methods for spreading yourself out on the internet work.. I can testify..

The nature of technology is such that a book like this needs to be updated every 6 months!

It is a good reference book. I go back to it for techniques and have page flags with subjects on them.
Lost In A Fog
You can find all of this, and probably updated, on the web. But I wanted a version I could take to bed with me to read. Pick a topic of interest or just browse through it and you will learn something...
Holly
Great general overview of everything you want to know about on the internet. Some of the newer trends aren't included, though, but that's the nature of print vs. web resources.
Dan Studnicky
If you're a nerd you probably already know most of this stuff - BUT there are some helpful tips for tasks like plane seating, email management and more.
Jenne
A lot of this wasn't really news to me, but it would be an EXCELLENT resource for someone who is just getting started with this whole "internet" thing.
cassie
Good information, but like most books about technology, some of it was already out-of-date.
Karla
This is a good book for references to information on the internet.
Glen
was dated when it came out
Cassie
Cassie added it
Sep 29, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Lauren Church
Lauren Church marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Sten Ryason
Sten Ryason is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine. Founder of Boingboing.net.

My books: The Happy Mutant Handbook (1995, Riverhead), a guide to offbeat pop culture. Mad Professor (2003, Chronicle), science experiments for kids. Worlds Worst (2005, Chronicle), a guide to the worst stuff on Earth, The Computer (2005, Carlton books), an illustrated history of computers. Rule the Web (2007, St. Martins), a guide to onl...more
More about Mark Frauenfelder...
Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World The World's Worst: A Guide to the Most Disgusting, Hideous, Inept, and Dangerous People, Places, and Things on Earth Make: Technology on Your Time Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects The Best of Make