Start by marking “Holy Bible: Concordia Self Study Bible: NIV” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: Concordia Self Study Bible: NIV

Holy Bible: Concordia Self Study Bible: NIV

If you seek a deeper knowledge of God's Word and want to better understand how it applies to your life, the Concordia Self-Study Bible is for you. It clarifies the Lutheran understanding of Scripture. This Bible version combines the easy-reading language of the New International Version "RM" with the Lutheran interpretive notes and a wealth of study helps. The Concordia Se ...more
Leather Bound, Black Bonded Leather With Thumb Index, 2195 pages
Published January 1st 1988 by Concordia Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Tracy
Jan 09, 2009 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Falina
I FINISHED THE BIBLE. No big deal, just got to page 2147 and finished reading the most influential piece of literature in the Western world. But I don't think I'm going to really review it, because how do you do that? Looking at it just as a book, it really isn't very good. It's tedious, repetitive, contradictory, and the quality of the writing varies depending on the author. But it really isn't about the Bible as a book. What's really important is the ideology the Bible represents and the way i ...more
Tom
Nov 06, 2008 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Bible readers
While there are other many study Bibles on the market, this is the best. It has excellent explanatory notes, maps, charts, introductions to each book, and indexes. The TNIV translation is superb, better than the NIV and as good as the NRSV (which I also recommend). Its overall viewpoint is "scholarly conservative," a useful perspective when dealing with a world classic such as the Bible. Its only real drawback is that it does not include the Apocrypha or Deutero-canonical books.
Caroline Kipps
May 03, 2012 Caroline Kipps is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Trying to actually read the Bible from cover to cover, with all the notes in this edition. I'm up to Moses...this could take a while.
Amy
Jul 09, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one tops them all.
Rafael
Jan 02, 2016 Rafael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did a one year chronological read of the NIV study bible and it was an incredible journey. It required a lot of time, discipline, and energy but it’s totally worth it. I think it’s extremely important to read the bible from a historical and cultural context and this bible certainly did the job. I encourage every believer to take the one year journey and read the NIV study bible in chronological order. You will not regret it. I personally feel that this experience has made me a more humble, und ...more
Mark Oppenlander
I don't know that one has much choice but to rate this book highly. Even if you are not a religious person, it is one of the most diverse, thought-provoking and influential books of all time. As a professing Christian it has even more significance to me . . .

This is my third or fourth time reading through a Bible cover to cover and my first time through the NIV since college classes. It took me a couple of years to complete this reading cover to cover.

I like the clean, straightforward translati
Vin
Apr 19, 2012 Vin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that everyone should read at least once in their life. [Just as they should read the Koran, Buddhist, Hindu, and even Wicca Text [As well as ethnic religious works.]

The Book is really two parts, the Old and the New Testament

The first is about the movement of God's work from the individual man, to a family, to a chosen people, and then the prediction of the movement to all people. It reflects the power that we all seek to understand, and declares it constant and close at hand, always ac
Joy
Jun 20, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great edition of the Bible.

First of all, it's NIV. The NIV is a thought for thought translation so it's not as difficult to read like some of the word for word translations while still being very accurate and close to the original Greek and Hebrew.

Second of all, it's a study Bible. No matter why you're reading the Bible be it curiosity or you're a Christian or it was assigned to you for literature class, you're going to need a little help. Parts of the Bible can be very confusing. The
David Blankenship
The Holman translation is a perfectly good modern translation, though not up to the quality of the ESV. My problem with this edition is with the quality of maps and photos, which are poor throughout. Random pictures of sunrises or empty fields add nothing. Many of the maps make a poor use of the space on the page. There are many, many better study Bibles than this.
Poiema
Feb 09, 2015 Poiema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibles
I read the (old) NIV for 20 years before switching to the NKJV. While I realize there are a few questionable translation decisions, overall I found it to be fresh, succinct, and clear. The Zondervan notes are very good and there are classy, quality leather editions available for the serious student.
Diane Gihring
May 24, 2012 Diane Gihring rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone in the world
Recommended to Diane by: Norma Arthurs
This is my favorite translation and edition of the Bible. It has great study notes at the bottom of every page. They provide parallels from one passage to another and make connections outside of the bible to other historical events and resources to help give some content to events in the bible. I also really like the introductions to each book. It helps me to see what the main ideas are of each book and some historical context as well about the author and the date it was written.

I highly recomme
Catherine
Sep 06, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this edition of the Bible the week of Christmas with the goal to read it by the end of this year. I read it just like I would read any book - straight through. Two things that helped were that it is a study bible for adults, & it is in large print. :-)
John
Apr 08, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a rating for the newest one edited by D.A. Carson. I purchased the kindle version for 3.99. I read the entire book of Romans plus the notes by Douglas Moo and it is really fantastic. You will get a lot of bang for your buck from this Bible.
Keith
I do not care for the NIV translation. In addition, this Bible is huge, clunky and difficult to navigate through on my Nook.
Sherrie Pilkington
I don't think I can rate the Bible. This particular edition was very good...lots of useful notes on context, history, secular references, etc. I would highly recommend it for those reasons.

The Bible has a lot of wisdom in it. But it's also got a lot of repetition and mind numbing-ly boring parts. I think reading it cover to cover has given me perspective that I didn't have before on looking at the big picture (love people and pretty much every thing else will fall into place) and not getting ca
Malcolm Forman
Jan 29, 2014 Malcolm Forman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my aunt. This was the first bible I owned for many years and I love the study guides and how it explains things in a bit more detail. This is the only paper bible I own or use
Kimmie
Feb 18, 2016 Kimmie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the THE STORY THE BIBLE AS ONE CONTINUING STORY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE, I am ready to finally read the Bible all the way through. I am starting in James as it is one of the earliest books of the NT written. I plan to go to John from there and go back to Matthew. I'm listening to God's Masterwork a survey of the NT by Chuck Swindoll so my thoughts may change.

2/18/16 - After over two years, I have finished reading every word. I finished in the Psalms which were very uplifting. Praise
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has questions and explanations in sidebars.
Angela
Mar 11, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Angela by: The people that raised me
I have been raised with the coriculum in this book in my schooling and play

I went to a Christian Church as a child then was Christian homeschool and during this whole time I went to church were this book was preached.

In it I find a lot of guildlines on how to live a respectful life

For anyone seeking direction in their life and need examples to show them this is a great book.

I make up a lot of songs out of the Songs of Solumons and enjoy many of the parables

Angela Langr
Maria
This is a great version. I saw this at amazon for 199 or 110 dollars that is rediculous. I bought this bible new from another source at about 14.99 I bought two and gave one as a gift. who ever is selling this product that high is way off base. Still this is a great Bible the NKJ version is alot easier to read especially for those who are just learning the English languege. Dont buy it for 199 dollars not even the best study bibles are worth that much.
Gary
Dec 16, 2010 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I spent months looking for a great translation for my youth group. This is the best I found for teens and young adults. It is very readable and understandable, but only takes interpretive license with the Greek when it absolutely has to for the intended audience. It is also full of great pictures and illustrations to remind students that these are actual places and events.
Michelle
Dec 30, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2010
I have tried so many times to read the bible all the way through and this year I FINALLY did it. It took all year but I finally finished! I had a hard time in Leviticus but read so many new passages and learned so much contextually. Loved Chuck Swindolls intros - like a little mini sermon at the beginning of each book and little insights throughout.
Sylvan Finger
Jul 17, 2014 Sylvan Finger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anytime I want to know what the Lutheran church believes or just look at how to write an argument, this books rocks. Any member of the Lutheran church ought to hold to these arguments. If the argument is not defined by scripture then it ought not be in this collection of documents. As far as I know, there is not even one of those arguments.
Kristin
how do you give a star rating to the Bible? :) I like the TNIV translation because it pays close attention to the Greek gendered pronouns, and "corrects" in a sense, the translation to reflect a more gender-aware reading. When the Greek pronoun is intended for men and women, the TNIV translates it so, opting for more inclusive words.
Angus McDonald
The Word of God. The topical study elements of this particular NIV translation do a good job of helping you link related passages together, although you are always best off doing a lot of that work yourself. My first and favourite Bible (I actually have the leather/gaffer-tape bound version).
Anne Greene
May 24, 2012 Anne Greene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
3 Jun 2010
Currently reading the book of Job. When I tell folks my line of work, they usually respond with something regarding my patience, and how much of it I must possess. If they're religious, they also mention Job, so I wanted to read and see what they were referring to.
Jostalady
Feb 11, 2009 Jostalady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This is the main bible I read from these days. I read all the study notes, bring out two other bibles to compare. It is slow going, but I am not in a hurry. This is very important to me. I have also been supplementing with bible history, commentary and discarded books.
Steve
May 14, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE inspired Word of God. I found the notes on the translation, introductions, study notes and maps in this Study Bible Edition to be a great supplement to the reading. I will continue to keep studying the Word, just not straight through for a while.
Daniel Kim
Mar 09, 2007 Daniel Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the TNIV is an updated version of the NIV. the committee went through and made changes to improve the accuracy and clarity of some disputed passages including the use of gender inclusive language. my preferred translation for everyday use.
HMSA Reads: Book Review: The New Testament of the Holy Bible 3 9 Aug 23, 2016 07:12PM
  • The Search for the Twelve Apostles
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Workbook
  • Mother Teresa: Her Essential Wisdom
  • Small Catechism, with Explanation
  • The One Year Bible New International Version
  • A Room Called Remember: Uncollected Pieces
  • The Treasury of David, Volmes #1-3(The Treasury of David #1-3)
  • Jesus: An Intimate Portrait of the Man, His Land, and His People
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Prayer, the Great Adventure
  • New Testament History
  • New Interpreter's Study Bible-NRSV

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“Proverbs 29:23 23A man’s pride will bring him low, But the humble in spirit will retain honor.” 1 likes
“Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word. 108Accept, I pray, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, And teach me Your judgments. 109My life is continually in my hand, Yet I do not forget Your law. 110The wicked have laid a snare for me, Yet I have not strayed from Your precepts. 111Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever, For they are the rejoicing of my heart. 112I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes Forever, to the very end.” 1 likes