Start by marking “The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: 91 Places Death Might Take You” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: 91 Places Death Might Take You

The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: 91 Places Death Might Take You

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A cleverly illustrated handbook to forty of the world's most fascinating religions, complete with tips on how to make it to the Eternal Plane of your choosing.

Are you a virtuous person with no religion to call your own? Have you finished planning your life but can't decide what to do when it ends? Do you sometimes just get curious about Wiccan religious beliefs? I f you a
Published December 23rd 2008 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife

Bev
Jan 18, 2009 Bev rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: compulsive window shoppers, those who have sold their souls to rock n' roll
With clearly illustrated flow charts representing the progress (or not) of the soul in 91 world religions, this book brings home a certain point to me. My life would be a lot more interesting and full of possibility if I believed in things I can't see. (Though, atheism is included, along with satanism.)
The trouble is, all the really cool religions don't go recruiting door to door. Dear Voudou, Shinto, Santeria and Sufism, please send missionaries to Edgewood (near Target).
Theresahpir
I found this little full-color, illustrated gem at a local Goodwill and while I was thrilled at my luck, didn't realize at first just how cool this book really is. The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife features 91 different religions from all corners of the globe and gives a brief overview of that religion, breaking down in somewhat greater detail what each religion says about that age-old question: "Where do we go after we die?"

Being a paranormal investigator, I assumed this was going to be a handy
Kirsten Gay
This book tries way too hard to be funny. It obviously wasn't intended to be educational, but the information goes from wildly exaggerated to just plain incorrect. If they had stuck to actual facts it would have been funny and interesting, but this reads like a snarky take on world religion written by people who are way too cool and smart to believe in anything.
Robin Conley
This book was just an okay read. The authors did a good job of "dumbing" the religions down so they were easy to understand, but I think they overdid it in some areas. At times, the descriptions emphasized the odd parts of the religions more than necessary in an attempt to make things funny. The result was that a lot of the time, it felt like I was reading propaganda about the religions rather than facts. The kind of thing one religion may say about another to deter people from joining. On the b ...more
Susan
Part of me feels guilty including this as part of my challenge since it only has 159 pages, but it is hysterical, and I learned a lot. I can't give it 5 stars, but it is a really good read.
Kathy
Neither funny nor educational to me.
Sarah Jacquie
Amusing, interesting, and definitely something I think anyone would have a hard time resisting to thumb through -- no matter what you believe!
Anna
Not absolutely factual but definitely a fun read.
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Bear
Bear added it
Dec 08, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Dez Filey
Dez Filey marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Henry
Henry is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Crystal Puckett
Crystal Puckett marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014