Start by marking “The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: 91 Places Death Might Take You” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: 91 Places Death Might Take You

The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: 91 Places Death Might Take You

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A cleverly illustrated handbook to forty of the world's most fascinating religions, complete with tips on how to make it to the Eternal Plane of your choosing.

Are you a virtuous person with no religion to call your own? Have you finished planning your life but can't decide what to do when it ends? Do you sometimes just get curious about Wiccan religious beliefs? I f you a
Published December 23rd 2008 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife

Bev
Jan 18, 2009 Bev rated it liked it
Recommends it for: compulsive window shoppers, those who have sold their souls to rock n' roll
With clearly illustrated flow charts representing the progress (or not) of the soul in 91 world religions, this book brings home a certain point to me. My life would be a lot more interesting and full of possibility if I believed in things I can't see. (Though, atheism is included, along with satanism.)
The trouble is, all the really cool religions don't go recruiting door to door. Dear Voudou, Shinto, Santeria and Sufism, please send missionaries to Edgewood (near Target).
Theresahpir
Jul 19, 2015 Theresahpir rated it really liked it
I found this little full-color, illustrated gem at a local Goodwill and while I was thrilled at my luck, didn't realize at first just how cool this book really is. The Pocket Guide to the Afterlife features 91 different religions from all corners of the globe and gives a brief overview of that religion, breaking down in somewhat greater detail what each religion says about that age-old question: "Where do we go after we die?"

Being a paranormal investigator, I assumed this was going to be a handy
Kirsten Gay
Jan 25, 2013 Kirsten Gay rated it did not like it
This book tries way too hard to be funny. It obviously wasn't intended to be educational, but the information goes from wildly exaggerated to just plain incorrect. If they had stuck to actual facts it would have been funny and interesting, but this reads like a snarky take on world religion written by people who are way too cool and smart to believe in anything.
Robin Conley
Dec 29, 2014 Robin Conley rated it it was ok
This book was just an okay read. The authors did a good job of "dumbing" the religions down so they were easy to understand, but I think they overdid it in some areas. At times, the descriptions emphasized the odd parts of the religions more than necessary in an attempt to make things funny. The result was that a lot of the time, it felt like I was reading propaganda about the religions rather than facts. The kind of thing one religion may say about another to deter people from joining. On the b ...more
Susan
Aug 31, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Part of me feels guilty including this as part of my challenge since it only has 159 pages, but it is hysterical, and I learned a lot. I can't give it 5 stars, but it is a really good read.
Kathy
Feb 06, 2014 Kathy rated it did not like it
Neither funny nor educational to me.
Sarah Jacquie
Nov 04, 2009 Sarah Jacquie rated it it was amazing
Amusing, interesting, and definitely something I think anyone would have a hard time resisting to thumb through -- no matter what you believe!
Anna
Jan 03, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Not absolutely factual but definitely a fun read.
Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Fairserenity
Fairserenity marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Mitchell Warren
Mitchell Warren rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Tim
Tim added it
Feb 16, 2016
Christina Diaz
Christina Diaz rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Cam Vermette
Cam Vermette rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Salix
Salix rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Spooky
Spooky rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Melissa Summers
Melissa Summers rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2014
Bear
Bear added it
Dec 08, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014