Start by marking “More Twisted: Collected Stories, Vol. II” as Want to Read:
More Twisted: Collected Stories, Vol. II

More Twisted: Collected Stories, Vol. II

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,585 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews

From the bestselling author of The Cold Moon, unabridged stories of spine-tingling suspense!

In the tradition of O. Henry and Edgar Allen Poe, Jeffery Deaver's latest collection of intricately plotted, bone-chilling short fiction includes an all-new story featuring Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs.

While best known for his twenty-four novels, Jeffery Deaver is also a short s

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 26th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about More Twisted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Twisted

Arun Divakar
You walk into a cafe and sit sipping coffee, time passes and someone joins you at the table. At this point its slightly hazy as to your relation with the person. The two of you strike up a conversation and get comfortable with each other. Then you finish your coffee and walk out the door and in passing through an alley the person turns around quick and stabs you right through the midriff...it's lights out for you !!! This is what a shocker short story would be like. You never know what caught yo ...more
Beth
Aug 18, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories told by various narrators definitely have some unexpected twists! They kept me guessing till the end, very entertaining.
Cherry Olof
Aug 06, 2013 Cherry Olof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
These bite-sized thrills that make each page worth turning. I took my time with each story. Each of them left me with sweaty palms and some switch-off-the-lights hesitations. Jeffrey did not for one page disappoint. As a matter of fact, I rue the fact that I had this book in my possession for over 4 years and never once opened it to read because the cover didn't really intrigue.

I'll give it 4 stars for being good and use the one as a blanket replacement for those moments I needed it during this
Jerry
May 09, 2014 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleased with the recently (2014) published “Trouble In Mind” Deaver short-story collection, we proceeded to read his other two: “Twisted” and this one, “More Twisted.” Again we have a variety of 16 short tales, roughly 25 pages or so each, not counting a little longer 50-page appearance of Lincoln Rhyme, an easy guess given the title “Locard’s Principle”, an axiom (we readers have had explained to us multiple times) on which Rhyme has based his whole forensic career. The other entries feature ra ...more
Anirban Das
Apr 20, 2014 Anirban Das rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Deaver, has been wasted, and he is himself responsible for this waste of his talent. Had he written anything, by which I mean “SERIOUS” literature, he would have got himself shortlisted for any number of awards which puts the mark, “I AM A LITERARY SNOB” on ones lapel. He is that good. Had he written some obscure literature he would have been heralded as a genius, whose book makes you a better human being, and forces you to write 4000 words long reviews, and if you do read his books, you ...more
Brenda
Feb 07, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book collection of Deaver's short stories, previously published elsewhere and collected here for our enjoyment. Going into this, I had never read anything by Deaver, I only knew of his name as he was linked to James Bond, having written one of the novels, which I haven't read yet. So my expectations were, well frankly I had none. When I picked up this book at my library I had no idea I was about to gain a new writer as a favorite.
The short stories in this collection are:

A Dish Served
Esther
Aug 21, 2009 Esther rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More Twisted by Jeffery Deaver is a collection of short mystery stories. Each short story is unique and keeps you guessing every time. I found it enjoyable and pleasing to not be able to guess the villain, even though some stories are more predictable than others. The only downside is that I wish the stories would have been completed so I could see what happens next. Each short story has enough potential to turn into a long, riveting story.
The first page hooked me in and I kept reading to see w
Charity
Jul 14, 2009 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize these were all short stories by Jeffery Deaver. I thought it was THRILLER 2. I listened to this one at work and it was quite excellent. The opening story is about a Sheriff's Deputy?? Or was it just a cop? I can't remember. But the whole time he's trying to figure out this riddle that a dead snitch left and in the end he gets it completely wrong. The other story in the collection I liked the most in the collection was about the girl and her parents. He sets it up so you think th ...more
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 23, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Un ladro di gioielli nella Londra di Sherlock Holmes. Una madre che teme il ritorno della figlia degenere, armata di pistola. Adulteri che cercano di eliminare il coniuge facendo cadere la colpa su un capro espiatorio. Avvocati che si credono molto astuti e si accorgono di essere stati manipolati da qualcuno più furbo di loro. Poliziotti con qualche scheletro di troppo nell'armadio. E serial killer che si assicurano altri anni di onorata carriera. Sono i protagonisti di questa nuova serie di ra ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 17, 2013 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read one Deaver novel, A Kathryn Dance one, which I enjoyed very much; and several of his short stories now. I enjoyed most of these stories with them ranging from excellent to mediocre and, imho, most were good-very good. My average rating comes to a 3.5 for the stories and I feel happy with that; just a bit better than good! Deaver shows himself to be a good writer and the master of the twist ending. He's been on my tbr list forever. Perhaps next year I can devote some time to him.

1. Chap
Benjamin Thomas
It took a few of these stories for them to start to grow on me. I guess I am more used to the type of stories with twists in them that Jeffrey Archer writes. But there were still a lot of good ones in here. The last two stories in the collection were particularly good. "Ninety-eight Point Six" was a more typical twisted story. I knew right from the beginning who the twist would revolve around (the one that seemed the most innocent). However, the how of it was a nice surprise. The final entry in ...more
Mark Soone
Nov 25, 2011 Mark Soone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My rating of 5 is actually a 4.5, but I enjoyed it so much I rounded up rather than down. I found this much more enjoyable than Deaver's first collection. The twists and turns in these stories are well thought out and well placed. A good blend of detective work, suspense and mystery. If you like short stories add this to your must read list....if you don't like them..try this one and you may just change your tune.

1- chapter & Verse- 3 stars- A cool little spin on the Davinci code. Since I kn
Ian
Feb 13, 2009 Ian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-europe
Akmal Hizam
Jan 24, 2014 Akmal Hizam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: akmal-s-mm2014
This is my first reading of Mr. Deaver's works, and I picked up this anthology of short stories. To test the water, I might say.

The phrase that caught my attention when I read about the introduction about his works is 'plot twist'.

Oh, and I love the twists and the 180s that he presented in these shorts.

One thing, though. It takes me some time to sober up from the ending of the previous shock while starting the next one. Getting to know another set of characters, plot, time and events in the next
Dex
Jan 26, 2014 Dex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le daría más estrellas si no hubiera leído nunca a Jeffery Deaver, pero lo he hecho y sé que da para más.

Muchas historias son buenas pero algunas se sienten muy forzadas; sobre todo porque siempre trata de que todas tengan un final inesperado (por eso More Twisted). El problema que veo es que ese mismo final que busca hace que a veces las situaciones parezcan bien caricaturescas. Y por la misma razón, que sabes que va a haber una especie de "vuelta de tuerca", sin querer tratas de anticiparte y
Phillipa
Apr 05, 2014 Phillipa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Loved loved loved this :) But then again, I'm generally a huge Jeffery Deaver fan, especially of his Lincoln Rhymes novels. The short stories don't quite have the weight of his usual novels, but I love the twists ... and they all twist ;) Boy, it's hard to review a collection of short stories tho cause they're all quite different. But it's definitely worth reading if this is a genre you enjoy!
Aspoon
May 01, 2014 Aspoon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful, creepy, intense, engaging suspenseful book by Jeffrey Deaver. I could not put it down…I love his short story books better than some of his full novels. Very well written as always. One of my favorite stories in this book was titled “Commuter” which was a shock…also “Voyeur” I would recommend this book and his book titled “Nocturne”
Nick Brett
Dec 04, 2012 Nick Brett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess to not having read much of the author’s work, but enjoyed his James Bond book. I thought this would be a good place to start on his other work to see if I should then expand onto his novels.
Mr Deaver starts by talking about teaching writing and indeed at the end of the book slightly dissects one of the short stories presented here..

To my genuine surprise, I found this a weak and pedestrian collection with none of the clever twists I was expecting. The plots are either telegraph
Jenifer
Audio. Narrated by various artists including some of my favorites, Barbara Rosenblatt and George Guidell.

This was a pretty solid effort for this genre. It seems like a lot of short stories that I read suck you in and then never have satisfying endings, so I liked that these short stories had real endings and resolutions. Some of the sixteen were more interesting to me than others, of course, but I think there's something here for every mystery lover. I especially enjoyed the author's notes abou
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
This is the second collection of short stories from Deaver titled More Twisted. These are similar to the ones in the first Twisted book, in that they have turns and twists and usually unpredictable. What made this second book of stories interesting for me was that it had a short Lincoln Rhyme story and a Sherlock Holmes story in the style of Deaver. The other stories are also enjoyable. I hope he releases more short story books.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I haven't read a lot of Jeffery Deaver, but what I have read is very intelligent writing. The stories are intriguing, but not mind-blowing. One story called Copycat starts out with a detective upset after checking out a library book and finding passages marked. This made me smile :-)
Mary
May 17, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3+ to 4-.Some of these short stories were just too creepy. They were definitely twisted and I didn't guess the twist on several of them . The final chapter has the author analyzing elements of horror and what makes things creepy for the reading audience. I found that interesting.
Valerie the bookworm
I listened to this on audio in the car and it was interesting that way. I give this collection 3 stars because it was hit and miss for me. A couple of stories were great. Good twists that I didn't see coming and truly original premises. Other stories were utterly predictable and or boring. Best two in my opinion were Afraid and Copycat. My least favorite two were A Nice Place to Visit and The Poker Lesson.
Christine Blachford
I’m not a short story reader normally, but I’ve been getting more and more into the format recently. I read the original Twisted book a long time ago, and have had this sequel sitting on my bookshelf since it first came out. I adore Jeffery Deaver’s writing and have read most, if not all, the Lincoln Rhyme novels. The amount of detail and knowledge about crime, the police system, forensic evidence, it boggles my mind.

The short stories are just as good, with plenty of suspense and always a good t
Zarina
Sep 09, 2013 Zarina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I purchased this book back in 2009, I did not it was a collection of short stories. I am not a fan of short stories so I was a bit put off. However, after reading the preface and my previous read, Arsene Lupin I'm a fan (provided its a crime/thriller stories).

As Deaver mentioned in the preface, "The payoff in the case of short stories isn't a roller coaster of plot reversals involving characters they've spent lots of time learning about and loving or hating, set in places with atmosphere ca
Dokusha
Sechzehn Geschichten, in denen Deaver mit den Erwartungen der Leser spielt und diese natürlich in eine falsche Richtung lenkt. Immer stellt sich am Ende heraus, daß alles dóch ganz anders ist als es den Anschein hat, und oft sind die Bösewichte nicht die, die man dafür hält.
Die Geschichten selbst sind unterschiedlich. Manche sind schlichtweg genial, andere eher Durchschnitt. Eine wirklich schlechte ist nicht dabei. Allerdings wiederholt sich das Grundmuster hin und wieder - nicht so sehr, daß di
Alex Marriott
Dec 27, 2014 Alex Marriott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing, not only because in its "b-side" nature against the first book, but this is doubly felt because the first book was so good. Still, a very worthwhile read.
Lottie Busby
Jun 26, 2014 Lottie Busby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book ! I loved most of the short stories, some were quite predictable but overall they kept me guessing.
Pauline Burke
loved the short stories, some were really creepy, reminded me of the twilight zone tv program.
Bonnie Franks
Jun 19, 2013 Bonnie Franks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful! It only took me a long time to read it because the short stories are just exactly the right length. I would read a short story, get absorbed in whatever other book I was reading, and then not read another short story for awhile. I loved it for that reason!

The stories themselves are great. The twisted angle keeps you guessing through each story. I was always trying to figure it out knowing there would be a twist and still never got it right. Awesome!
Just the way I wanted
2015 Reading Chal...: More Twisted by Jeffrey Deaver 1 7 Mar 09, 2015 02:35AM
  • Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • Play Dead
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • Piranha to Scurfy: And Other Stories
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • 65 Proof
  • The Best of Tales: Volume Two (Dragonlance Anthology)
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down
  • The Stadium (The Peeling, #2)
  • The Night and the Music
  • The Dark Verse, Vol. 1: From the Passages of Revenants
  • Serial Uncut: Extended Edition
  • Tart Noir
  • Bullfighting: Stories
  • Whisper In The Dark
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro ...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...