Start by marking “The World's Worst Aircraft: From Pioneering Failures to Multimillion Dollar Disasters” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
From pioneering failures to multimillion dollar disasters. Features 150 of the worst aircraft ever to leave the drawing board, from the Seddon Mayfly, which didn't fly, to a flying tank which surprisingly did. Includes a brief history of each aircraft design, explaining why the idea didn't take off. Each type is illustrated with annotated photography and artwork, highlight ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Barnes & Noble Books

To ask other readers questions about The World's Worst Aircraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Worst Aircraft

Nick
Sep 27, 2014 Nick rated it liked it
At last, the stunning finale to the trilogy! You won't believe what happens to your favorite characters from The World's Worst Cars and The World's Worst Weapons!

No, I'm lying; It's just another book, which is about (checks title) bad airplanes. I don't know a lot about airplanes, so I was more interested in the parade of unbelievable disasters from the wild and wooly teens and twenties, where putting eight wings and sixteen motors on a houseboat looks comparatively sane. As for the rest of the
Robert
Dec 06, 2010 Robert rated it it was ok
A tank with wings. A flying car. A nuclear powered bomber plane. And, of course, The Spruce Goose.
Heikki
Oct 12, 2012 Heikki rated it it was amazing

This review is from: The World's Worst Aircraft (From Pioneering Failures to Multimillion Dollar Disasters) (Hardcover)
Many people like aviation for the reason that they can globetrot more easily than with trains. Others like aviation for the aesthetics of airplanes. Yet others like it because the rise of aviation from zero to orbit in less than a hundred years encapsulates the human spirit of progress.

Jim Winchester's book tracks the little trodden paths that took entrepreneurs, engineers, an
Kym Andrew Robinson
Mar 08, 2014 Kym Andrew Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: aviation
A concise and fun little book which you can devour some what quickly but most certainly invites a re read or two.

Filled with aircraft that were ambitious, terrible, tragic, funny, optimistic, mistimed, overly expensive and burdened with bad luck. Some even have all of the above.

72 %
Kristina
Dec 17, 2014 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
This is a good book for aviation enthusiasts who aren't much into detail and would like a book that you can read for 2 minutes at a time and not really lose the thread. For the rest of us? I'd both have liked it to be better formatted and have a bit more detail but otherwise, for an 'at work book for when I have a few minutes and data is running' it's decent.
Georgene
Feb 16, 2013 Georgene rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I usually don't read about these sorts of things, but I did find this book fascinating. After reading this, I am surprised ANY test pilots survived anywhere. But then, this is about the WORST aircraft that have been built.

Each plane described has 2 pages devoted to it. There are at least 2 pictures of each plane and a set of specifications. While picture "heavy", I also found this book to be data "heavy", especially since I know very little about aircraft.
John
Mar 18, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: aviation
A little on the thin side
Veeral
Oct 28, 2012 Veeral rated it really liked it
Funny at times and technical at some. This is the kind of book you would spend sometime with when you don't want to read anything serious.
PWRL
Aug 14, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Nicolaus
Nicolaus marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Rob Ballister
Rob Ballister rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Herman
Herman marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jeremy Israel
Jeremy Israel marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Talha Muddassar
Talha Muddassar rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Anthony Daninger
Anthony Daninger marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Ryan
Ryan added it
Jan 04, 2016
Tt
Tt rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Mohith Kushalappa A B
Mohith Kushalappa A B marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Thanachai
Thanachai marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Etienne Boeziek
Etienne Boeziek marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sam Ingham
Sam Ingham rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Landon Wilkey
Landon Wilkey rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015