Start by marking “The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)

The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  14,048 ratings  ·  461 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review

Iris Johansen has grown up. This is not to say that her previous novels were immature, but something has changed - for the better with this novelist, and it shows in her new romantic thriller, The Face of Deception. This is one of the most riveting reads of the year - brutal and shocking at times, but compelling enough to be accessible for the
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 6th 1998 by Random House Audio (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Face Of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Face Of Deception

Lucy
I find it odd that this book launched a ten plus book series with break away novels. I thought Eve Duncan was the wrong character for this first book to focus on so I can't imagine where it goes from there. She's hired to do a facial reconstruction on a skull and the entire time I was thinking 'why didn't they just go for the DNA first?' Well, they went for it second... making Eve's contribution all the more minimal. The only way she would've been useful is if the situation had been a lot less v ...more
Deana
This is the laziest book I think I've ever read. The characters are dull and unbelievable, so it is next to impossible to establish a connection with them. I didn't find any of them likable, least of all Eve Duncan, a stereotypical 'strong' woman who overcomes so much. The plot might have been interesting if it were more realistic. I don't imagine a powerful man like Logan would give the reins of his hard work and devotion to Eve, who admits in the beginning to her disinterest in politics. The d ...more
Lynn Pribus
I suppose it's unfair to read this book after galloping through 3 Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly, but it just didn't even start to do it for me. Really surprised it's rated so high.

I lasted maybe 15 minutes on a download. Slow-moving, tedious with in-your-face hints,clues, and statements that Something Terrible happened to heroine's young daughter, that her mother is an addict gone straight and then TA-DA! a rugged, incredibly handsome male appears.

The whole thing shrieked romance novel
Linda
Many of the reviews were not kind to this book. One touted that it was not believable. There are parts that are a stretch to be sure. I think that's why they call it fiction. So there must have been some good reviews somewhere for me to seek out this thriller. Is mine one of them? I think this was a satisfactory read. It kept my interest, moved along quickly. Our heroine is a forensic sculptor. That in itself is what drew me. Quite amazing what a vocation such as this can produce. I just have to ...more
Jane Stewart
It was ok for solving and surviving a complicated mystery, political intrigue, and danger - but not entertaining enough.

STORY BRIEF:
Eve was a single mother when her seven-year-old daughter Bonnie was killed by a serial killer. The body was never found which haunts Eve. Eve is one of the country’s top forensic sculptors. She reconstructs faces from skulls. Logan is a billionaire who wants to hire Eve to put a face on a skull he has. She resists until he makes a large contribution to her favorite
Jenn
Took me ages to finish this book, really I think it came down to the fact I just did not care about these characters.

Eve is a tortured "strong" woman, who constantly repeats empty mantras. "I am not a victim. Where are you Bonnie? I won't be a victim"

Logan is an arrogant jerk, and I was never satisfied with the explanation about how he got embroiled in all this.

Frankly, Fiske and Quinn were the most interesting characters and they didn't receive a decent amount of page time, IMO.

Won't bother
Shannon
thadine
Cheryl
This is the first book with forensic sculpter, Eve Duncan. Wow, what a tough lady. This woman could truly be a roll model for young women once they've finished with the Nancy Drew series.

I loved the book. I'm listening to another by Iris Johansen concurrently, almost through with that one, too. I've also ordered another one of hers from the library.

Eve grew up as a bastard child of a stoned mother. Her child was also a bastard, but led the way to both Eve and her mother getting their acts togeth
Xan
I very much wanted to give this book 4 stars...but was barely able to give it 3. The storyline was very good, and got me through the book. Eve is hired to put a face on a skull, and the revelations throughout the book keep the surprises and suspense going up until the end. I'd give the storyline a 4, easily.

However, this is the 3rd "Eve Duncan" book I've read, and I have to give the characters a 1...at best. I want to like Eve, but she is unbelievably annoying. Perhaps it's Johansen's experience
Chris
As with most books, I tend to start reading them for a reason. With ‘The Face of Deception’ this was entirely down to seeing the most recent book in the series (Taking Eve) in The New York Times Best Sellers list. So I figure that the author has to be doing something good, right? As there are that many authors doing collections of books, I decided to quickly double check to see what was the book that started the authors collection and this was it.

Quickie Review
So, what can I say about this book?
Lyn
I first read Iris's books when she was doing romances, liked her style particularly a series based in the West. However, this series about the forensic anthropologist trying to find her kidnapped daughter's body really gets to me. I love the way Iris has shown her Eve Duncan outgrowing her background to develop her potential, and becoming passionate about bringing all murdered children 'home' by developing the faces that go with the skulls. Excellent series.
Babette
I was given this book by a friend; it was not a selection I actively made. It was not a completely satisfying book. The fact that it took me over a week to complete this book is telling.
The main character was not someone I could identify with - at times I wanted to shake her. And the premise of the plot was just too far-fetched to be believable. So the book was not satisfying. But it is off my shelf now.
Skye
5 COULDN'T PUT THE DANG THING DOWN STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A-MA-ZING.
I LOVED THIS.
TONS OF SUSPENSE AND CRAZY TWISTS!!!
These books are a little pricey but I don't CARE!!!
Started the second book the moment I finished the last page.
Petula Darling
I kept thinking this was going to get better, but about 3/4 of the way through I finally gave up. The premise was ridiculous, the main character was grating and the dialog was clunky.
Ellenjsmellen
I enjoyed this one. This was my first Iris Johanssen book and I plan on reading any other Eve Duncan novels by her.
Leona

**Side Note:

This book would be my second exposure or debut into mystery and suspense being the primary genre. My first being Killer Instinct by Zoe Sharp from the Charlie Fox Thriller series.

The prologue blew me away! I could feel the agony that Eve Duncan was going through, especially when it was revealed the 'why' of her actions. Those four pages were what really made me curious about what the rest of the book would offer. Oh! Did I mention this is my first Iris Johansen novel? Great way to s

Verna Humphrey
I really like Iris Johensens writings,wish she would write more books.
Amy A
I starting reading this series because I saw the trilogy Eve, Quinn, and Bonnie at the bookstore and wanted to read them. Well, I decided to check on goodreads first and good thing I did because obviously I found out that these characters were part of the bigger Even Duncan series. So now I'm reading this series from the beginning. I have to say I really just knew the basics going in. Eve is a facial sculpter and has been since the abduction and death of her daughter years before. She still mour ...more
Marilyn
Eve Duncan found fulfillment in reconstructing retrieved skulls, looking for the lost children, always looking for her murdered, lost daughter Bonnie. But fulfillment was to change to anger, frustration, and horror when she gave in to the temptations of John Logan to reconstruct the face of a person who was supposedly still very much alive.
Gina
The first in the 'Eve Duncan' series, I thought it was a great first book.

I really liked Eve as the main character; true-to-life, you understand her completely. You feel her vulnerability as well as her strength.

I'm still not sure about Joe Quinn. I know he's supposed to be Eve's best friend, guard, savior, but I didn't like him completely. His attitude was much to be desired.

Now Logan is another character altogether. Unsure of his intentions at first, I still had this gut feeling about him, and
The Face of Deception is Iris Johansen's first book in her Eve Duncan series. I think I first read it over 10 years ago, and wanted to re-read it. I really enjoy reading Johansen's books - the story is easy to follow, the characters are likeable, and it is generally a quick read with a lot of dialogue between the characters and descriptions short and to the point.

As the first book in the series, we begin to see the background of Eve Duncan and the beginning of her relationship with billionaire
Mary
Book 1 of the Eve Duncan series.

Forensic sculptor, Eve Duncan, is approached by John Logan (the millionaire) to reconstruct a skull. Eve is hesitant, but one Logan offers a huge donation to Eve's favorite charity, she agrees. What she doesn't know is that discovering the identity of the skull with rock the US government and bring down some very powerful politicians... and they will go a long way to protect their secret... even to the death.

Quick entertaining read. Good characterization. Byzantin
Gina
This is a review for this book along with the second of the series, The Killing Game. *(Same review posted for both books as I read them together. I rated The Killing Game 2 stars as it is a little better.)

I read the first few books of Johansen's Eve Duncan series several years ago close to when each was first released, late 90s. I don't know that either made much of an impression except that I remembered I thought it had an interesting premise - a woman becomes a forensic sculptor years after h
Sarah Young
Completely unbelievable premise and uninteresting characters.

What part of the country would ever allow someone to play with bones in their low security garage? Even the most remote, money-strapped jurisdictions and small towns have to have standards. I expected something more intelligent along the lines of Kathy Reichs or Patricia Cornwell, but this is not it.

So early on in the book, this low-security garage where the main character plays with human remains gets broken into... surprise, surpri
Lynda
Having read all of the Eve Duncan series, I found it fun to reread the first book of the series. I felt that Johansen was starting to hit her stride with the characters as the book progressed. She also left a platform at the end in which to launch book number two. Eve Duncan is a no nonsense, tough woman who is very focused on her work as a forensic sculptor. She has lived through a life-shattering ordeal, the abduction and death of her daughter. Thus, she is obsessed about having her work help ...more
Prince William Public Library System
Eve Duncan is a forensic sculptor and rarely does the sculpting of a face onto a skull involve any danger to herself. Yet in this case her work puts her squarely in the line of fire of some very deadly people who will do whatever it takes to keep the identity of the skull a secret. An unforeseen twist takes the drama and danger into the red zone, and the fallout will send ripples through all levels society.

- Rebecca H.

Click the link to check availability and find in the Prince William Public Lib
Neena
First of all, this is a formula book and my rating is based on that entirely. I liked reading it for its genre. It is one of those bad books that one reads while travelling.

Eve, a single mother whose seven-year-old daughter Bonnie was killed by a serial killer and body was never found. Eve is one of the country’s top forensic sculptors. Logan is a billionaire who wants to hire Eve to put a face on a skull he has. The mission is dangerous and deadly but Eve is unable to back out because of conse
Katharine_ann
I was immediately curious about Eve Duncan because she’s a forensic sculptor. I’ve watched a lot of cop and forensic shows, and while they usually feature some sort of sculptor, that character is never front and center. I was excited to be able to focus on a skill set that usually supports others. Eve did not disappoint. I really liked the amount of science in the book and learning what Eve did for her job. It was also tactfully written, as there were not a lot of information dumps, but rather E ...more
Carmen
Nov 06, 2013 Carmen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
Shelves: mystery, fiction
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #9)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • Left To Die (To Die, #1)
  • Dark Paradise
  • Love Me to Death (Lucy Kincaid #1)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4) Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11)