Start by marking “Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese (H)” as Want to Read:
Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese (H)

Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese (H)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This book is designed first of all to make the study of written Japanese a much less formidable task for the foreign student than it has traditionally been. Its second major purpose is to enable the student to achieve fluency in reading and writing the language in its everyday style. Essentially, the book reflects the language simplification movement now under way in Japan ...more
Published December 15th 1989 by Tuttle Publishing (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese

Christopher
Since it was first published in 1959, this book has taught the kanji to generations of Japanese learners and has seen frequent new printings and passed through successive editions. Those new editions (the 4th is out as I write this) have generally been released to match new Japanese government education standards for learning the kanji, so foreigners can learn the particular kanji, and in the particular order that Japanese pupils would.

But all you are getting here is a dry list of each of the 21
Camy
Jul 02, 2014 Camy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference-books
This is a really great reference book for learning Kanji because most of the book demonstrates stroke order for the characters. The stroke order is in pen so it's pretty easy to follow.

The book is divided into:

--The 881 Essential Characters, each with stroke order, listed in an order determined by the Japanese Ministry of Education in relation to frequency of use and recommended for teaching in elementary schools. For example, characters 1-46 are for school grade 1, characters 47-151 are for sch
Nova
Jul 18, 2014 Nova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book for intermediate Japanese learners who have learned their kanas, know some elementary spoken Japanese, and can already recognize a few kanji.

Having all of the joyo (general use) kanji in one place, makes this book an excellent resource for those trying to learn the Japanese written language to be able to read Japanese books or manga, and also for those aiming to take the Jlpts (Japanese Language Proficiency Tests) However, the book only gives the stroke order, basic meaning
Milissa Morales
Oct 14, 2013 Milissa Morales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Another amazing book by Tuttle at a price I can afford. As a single mom living under the poverty level, I need to be careful how I spend my money. I want value in need books that will supplement my girls' education and also useful to me as well. A Guide to Reading and Writing Japanese is modern with "the most recent changes to the kanji list prescribed by the Japanese Ministry of Education." Learning each stroke of the 2,136 characters in the general use kanji set in the 1,009 essential cha ...more
Magdalen Ophely
Nov 26, 2015 Magdalen Ophely rated it liked it
Shelves: languages
This is a guide to read and write kanji, one of the three Japanese alphabets. They are also the most complicated to draw. The book must be associated to the learning of the Japanese hiragana and katakana (it is better to known these by heart before starting to work on kanjis).
Tim
Sep 14, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
My paperback copy gives an original publication date of 1959 with the revised being 1961.
Fransiska
Nov 03, 2015 Fransiska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very helpful to learn and understanding kanji (Japanese).
Joy
Oct 03, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a hardback version of this somewhere.... But I am loving the electronic ePub version. Borrowed it from the library and now I'm intending to buy it. Soo easy to use and follow.
Meltha
Jan 12, 2009 Meltha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: languages
Very nice explanations of stroke order. Now if I could just find the time to work on it.
Jimi Rai
Jimi Rai marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Ollie Lynn
Ollie Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kenny D.
Kenny D. marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Oni
Oni rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Biển Đông
Biển Đông marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Tai Pham Van
Tai Pham Van rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Brian Connelly
Brian Connelly marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Larry Deaton
Larry Deaton marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Larry Deaton
Larry Deaton marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jennifer Anderson
Jennifer Anderson marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Alex Malton
Alex Malton marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Dec 27, 2015
Cassie
Cassie is currently reading it
Coffeepot
Coffeepot marked it as to-read
Gautama Siddartha
Gautama Siddartha marked it as to-read
JSKoi
JSKoi marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
fenrir
fenrir rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Shauntey Kalweit
Shauntey Kalweit rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • Making Out in Japanese: (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Integrated Chinese Level 1/Part 1 Textbook: Simplified Characters
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • Basic Kanji Book, Vol. 1
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary Series #1)
  • Dirty Japanese: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!"
  • Read Real Japanese Fiction: Short Stories by Contemporary Writers
  • Let's Learn Hiragana: First Book of Basic Japanese Writing
  • Wheelock's Latin Reader: Selections from Latin Literature
  • Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I
  • 501 Latin Verbs
  • Japanese Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebooks)
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
The late Florence Sakade is widely recognized as a pioneer of English language publishing in Japan. She was an experienced editor and the author/compiler of such favorites as A Guide to Reading and Writing Japanese, Origami: Japanese Paper Folding, and Japanese Children's Favorite Stories. Her distinguished career spanned four decades, and she worked until her death in 1999 at the age of 82.
More about Florence Sakade...