The Mask of Atreus

The Mask of Atreus

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  63 reviews
An obscure museum's dead proprietor lies in a secret room surrounded by one of the world's most astonishing collections of Greek antiquities. Only a priceless Mycenaean death mask has been taken, along with the bones of a legendary hero thought to exist only in ancient myth. Looted by the Nazis, the treasures are still being sought by those whose dreams of glory remain und...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Berkley (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mask of Atreus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mask of Atreus

Lisa H.
Randal
Mar 13, 2013 Randal rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one, ever. Flee. Do not read.
Shelves: crime
Abigail
AH! So much potential--I mean, come on...a murdered museum curator, a previously unknown archaeological treasure, and a missing, and priceless, Mycenean death mask.

The problem--suddenly way too much is going on. There are flashbacks, hate crimes, far too many coincidences that are just hugely unbelievable (and it's a novel, I'm willing to stretch the boundaries of "believability" pretty far). By the end of this book, not only was I disappointed, but I wouldn't have been surprised out that Stefan...more
Denise
agonizingly terrible. read after visiting Mycenae hoping for a good travel read... actually chucked the book in the hotel garbage.
Kam Oi
May 20, 2008 Kam Oi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who like adventure tales & thrillers
Recommended to Kam Oi by: my mother in law
Noran Miss Pumkin
Apr 29, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Noran by: reviews
Shelves: so-so
Nazi cult in Georgia tied to a museum theft?! That is not what the book was described when i got it, or i would have not picked it up. Poor plot development. Unbelievable concept, and i just did not like the main character. I like action novels, but just not this one.
Angela
Although the history/setting of the plot added a bit of flair to this novel, the plot itself seemed too obvious in trying to mislead the reader about the real villain.
Alex Ronk
Esperaba bastante de la historia porque empezó bastante bien, lo que se traducía en que quería seguir leyendo para saber que le pasaba a la protagonista.

Y más de la mitad del libro vale la pena, es emocionante y creía que estaba leyendo una enigma arqueológico que pintaba demasiado bien para ser verdad y después... nada!

Bueno, no tanto así, pero me decepciono un poco la última parte en la que no esperaba que fuera algo relacionado con la segunda guerra mundial, pensé que se quedaría en un espe...more
Jenn
At last year's Dragon*Con, I had a free time slot and nothing to do, so I went with a friend to a panel of best-selling authors. Now, I do love to read, but this one was being done by the Writer's Track. While I do love to read, as is obvious by these posts, I'm not a writer. So, I generally avoid that track. Still, it was a chance to get to see Jim Butcher. Laurell K. and Sherrilyn Kenyon were on the panel too, but I'd seen both before and I didn't care to see the second one ever again. There w...more
Nancy Oakes

I'll just say it straight out. I didn't like this book very much. I did finish it, which is more than I can say for some others I've read that I didn't like. I didn't set out to not like it, but there it is. Now, I happen to have read many reviews in which readers say it's a great book, and if they say so, then that's okay. However, I'm often at odds with many regular book readers as far as liking/not liking a book, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'll tell you why this one didn't particularly...more
Maurean
I just finished reading A.J. Hartley’s debut novel “The Mask of Atreus”, a kind of archeological thriller that blends some interesting and compelling bits of history with a twisted tale of intrigue & mystery to keep the reader turning pages to the very last.

In it, we follow the protagonist, a strong and likable Deborah Miller, as she finds the murdered body of her boss – the man who established the museum that she runs – among a significant collection of Greek antiquities thought to be the...more
Fuadudin Abdillah
Buku ini mengisahkan tentang hilangnya Topeng kematian Mikene yang tak ternilai harganya dari sebuah museum yang sangat terkenal. Akibat dari kejadian ini, seorang kurator museum yang bernama Deborah Miller turun tangan untuk menyelidiki kasus tersebut. Dibantu oleh seorang polisi dari kepolisian Jerman yang bernama Cerniga, mereka bersama-sama memecahkan kasus yang bisa dibilang sangat sulit ini.

Museum tempat keberadaan topeng yang dicuri tersebut terkenal sangat menyeramkan karena terdapat seb...more
Christopher Hivner
Deborah Miller is the curator at a small museum in Atlanta. Her life changes early one morning when she receives a strange phone call asking about a body at the museum. She doesn't recognize the voice on the other end of the phone but is immediately worried about her friend and mentor, the owner of the museum. She goes to the building and finds her friend dead, murdered. But its where she finds the body that propels the rest of the story. Unknown to Deborah, her friend had a secret room behind a...more
Sharon Kennedy
I quite enjoyed this, but it wasn't spectacular.

A man is murdered in a private museum, in a secret room which no one knew was there, and he is surrounded by Mycenaean relics. Something large has been stolen, and Deborah, curator and friend of the murdered man, is determined to try and find out what has happened. Her only clue is the work Atreus written on a notepad.

The story moves from America to Greece, to Moscow and then back to America. There are murderous attempts on Deborah's life, and beh...more
Vincent Powell
Don't even bother. It's more predictable than post-Taco Bell bowel movements. The promise of some mix of ancient Greece with Nazi schemes is more of a backdrop than any sort of real part of the book. The heroine is painfully one-dimensional, the villain is obvious from the first several chapters, and the not-actually-a-villian-but-he-seems-like-the-bad-guy is as well. DO NOT READ. NOT WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF TIME/MONEY/MUSCLE ENERGY SPENT TURNING THE SOMEHOW TRIPLE DIGIT PAGE NUMBER THIS HACK MANAGE...more
Jeanne
Although the storyline for this book reads much like many other "find the key to a problem, while racing against the clock to save the world from imminent disaster, it is much more than that. The flowing style of the author's writing makes for easy reading and there is a well structured balance between the historical and archaeological content of the book.

An out of the way, little known museum is the scene of the murder of its owner. He is found in a secret room surrounded by a unique collectio...more
Carissa
I really did not care for this book. The characters were too trite and the plot was weak. Very disappointing historical book with too much coincidence driving the plot forward. It had such promise, too.
Anne L.
Deborah Miller enjoys her job as curator of a private museum in Atlanta—until she finds her boss murdered and the centerpiece of his hitherto secret, private collection missing. When she discovers that the police officer investigating the murder isn’t who he seems to be, and then she becomes a target herself, she sets out to determine what exactly was stolen, and why. It apparently is a relic of great value, though “value” is a relative term, and the relic represents something drastically differ...more
Victoria
This action-adventure-thriller is a lovely sort of vacation read! It definitely fits the bill of a fun and exciting book - and while it isn’t one that will make you put your trip on hold, it is a lot of fun when you have the time to read it.

It kicks off to a bit of a slow start, with plenty of build-up. But that build-up is not wasted and by the last hundred pages or so, the edge of the seat becomes the only comfortable place to sit! The plot does leave some questionable holes, and there are som...more
Betsie Bush
8/11/2008 - The verdict is in...I really enjoyed this book... archeology, suspense, AND it is well written with a unique and unexpected (to me) plot (Greek, German, and Russian history)... excellent combination. Some of it is a bit cliche, but there is more than enough depth to make up for that.

8/5/2008 - I don't normally buy books, but I had picked this up to send to someone else thinking it would be similar to The DaVinci Code (and then never sent it). When I was looking for something to read...more
Lydia
I read "The Mask of Atreus" over the course of about three days—I found it an incredibly engaging and addictive read, even after I had started putting the clues about the truth of the mask together. I thought the story was intriguing and just far enough into the realm of conspiracy theories to be exciting without making me roll my eyes. I thought Deborah Miller was an excellent protagonist—I particularly enjoyed Hartley's portrayal of her as a fiercely independent and powerful personality, while...more
Sharon
Entertaining thriller story, with its basis in Schliemann's archaeological excavation of Troy (and what became of the artifacts). As is probably obvious from the cover art, there is a Third Reich/Neo-Nazi tie-in as well.

Hartley builds an interesting cadre of characters who are very real in their foibles. As someone who has studied archaeology and volunteered in a museum, I can tell you that the sections about provenance, dating and the like are spot-on.

This book kept my interest in a "beach read...more
Laura Pilcher
Lvoed this book. It was one of my random books by an author i have not read before. Really enjoyed this historical thriller which took me from America to Greece to Russia and back again. Oh! and lets throw in some Nazi's, the KGB into the mix too. The baddy is very predictable and obvious but it doesnt distract from the story, which is unusual. Instead it added a "when is she going to realise" element to it. The historical information was interesting and apt to the storyline. Some historical thr...more
Bianca
It had so much potential, but it was poorly developed. When I read the back of the book I was really eager to read it because it had all the elements: a murder in a museum, history, a relation to Greek mythology, but also to World War II...and it actually began quite well.

However, as the plot started to develop, I only found myself with many questions, no answers and what is worst: when the answers really came through they were not that great, surprising or astonishing.

A book that could have bee...more
Deborah
The mystery begins with the death of a museum proprietor and the theft of a Mycenaean death mask. Deborah Miller, museum curator, searches for the answers to the death of her mentor and the reasoning behind the theft. Deborah's persistent search leads her to Greece and eventually to Russian in hopes of answers. What she finds is beyond the believable. The path to the truth bind the journey to solve the mystery, and the characters involved, into an amazing ending. The ending was worth the reading...more
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2007 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Da Vinci Code fans
I met this author (who is also an English professor) at a dinner party. He was terribly interesting and quite nice, so I really wanted to like his book. Overall, it's not bad. It's very fast-paced and keeps you on the edge of your seat at times. Unfortunately, the secret (as in subtitle: Some Secrets Should Stay Buried) is so thinly veiled that you've figured it out 100 pages in, and you keep weighting for the main character to buy a clue, which he doesn't for another 200 pages.
Leya
m a huge fan of "conspiracy theory" books, and this one I'm happy to say didn't disappoint. It was a little slow at the beginning but it definitely picked up pace. Because of the type of book it is, the author gave loads of information on myths, historical facts, experience of different cultures, and not one time did it bore me, it was very entertaining. I love the protagonist, Deborah, she intelligent, strong, and willing to admit to her mistakes and learn from them.
Wendell
Ho hum. Paint by numbers, with the usual verbal tics of the genre writer, including giving the main character innumerable “internal dialogues” in which her reflections reveal just how stupid and unbelievable she is. Many impossible plot turns and then there’s that heroine—can’t say it enough—whom just want to tie up and slap until she stops being such a mooncalf.
Chris
A mystery/thriller story involving archeology, old Greek history, neo-Nazis, and museum curators. I liked the strong female main character but thought some of the plot was too farfetched. The writing is not brilliant, but it is a page turner and kept my interest throughout. I also enjoyed the historical and archeological information.
Tavish
I thought I would try a mystery book, and just chose one from the library at random. The plot was interesting, but the writing style just didn't capture my attention. It was one of those books I had to force myself to finish, not because the story was dumb, but because I never really hooked in the book.
Done reading it 1 5 Mar 22, 2008 04:08PM
Interesting 1 1 Aug 09, 2007 06:06PM
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • The Sacred Bones
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • The 13th Apostle
  • The Last Ember
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • The Archangel Project
  • The Medusa Amulet
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark: A Novel Macbeth On the Fifth Day Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1) Act of Will