Start by marking “The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Once thought to be a somewhat dull collection of salads and sprouts, raw food has become the hottest new trend in the food world. It's been featured in stories in the "New York Times, the "New York Post and "Vegetarian Times. And whether you're a raw food devotee, a curious vegetarian, or just an adventurous chef, "The Complete Book of Raw Food is the essential handbook fo...more
Published May 24th 2005 by Hatherleigh Press (first published November 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Raw Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Raw Food

The 80/10/10 Diet by Douglas N. GrahamDiet salad recipes book- the best salad recipes for rapid wei... by Olivia DonaEat Smart Eat Raw by Kate WoodConscious Eating by Gabriel CousensRaw Family by Victoria Boutenko
Best Raw Food Books
12th out of 36 books — 21 voters
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanThe Food of Paradise by Rachel LaudanThe Botany of Desire by Michael PollanA Movable Feast by Kenneth F. Kiple
Global Citizenship: Food
60th out of 63 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
Dec 08, 2008 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: raw fooders, vegans, vegetarians
Cathy
I approached this book as a low-fat vegan looking for recipes I could whip up in the heat of summer without needing to turn on a stove or oven. Between the special equipment needed (ie. dehydrator), advanced prep time (ie. sprouting), and copious amounts of oil or other fats, I found very few recipes that suited me. But, to be honest, I didn't make it very far through the book because I was discouraged after browsing several sections and finding nothing new and exciting that fit my parameters. I...more
Jill
As I'm more into researching why people choose a raw food diet, than turning into a raw foodist, this was helpful. I got a glimpse into the variety of foods that can be prepared and the methods used to prepare them.

I appreciated the appendix where small bios were provided on each of the contributors, including how they got into eating raw and why, as well as discoveries they made on the way.

If I were ever to turn to a raw food lifestyle, this would be my cookbook of choice. Heaven knows I'd ne...more
Devon Trevarrow Flaherty
Nov 17, 2008 Devon Trevarrow Flaherty rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in health and healthy foods.
Recommended to Devon by: found while researching raw food lifestyle.
Still just starting my adventure into the world of Raw Foodists, but am enjoying it. So far, the half-dozen recipes we have used from this book are pretty good to even better, including a strawberry "pie" that I am eating right this moment. And I tell you what: I have never had better macaroons than the raw ones that Andrea gave me a few months back. They were awesome.

More to come, including: what you need to even use this book, and how you might incorporate it without going all raw.
Hilary Roberts
This book is actually mostly a cookbook. The first 50 pages are dedicated to teaching you about raw eating, and it does a good job providing a basic, yet thorough, and understandable description. After that it gives tons of recipes from well-known raw people. Lots of the recipes had ingredients I didn't recognize, which isn't as helpful for someone trying raw for the first time. I did find a few recipes to try, but I can't give feedback on them since I haven't tried them yet.
Sherri
Picked a couple recipes to try out this week. Really easy to follow, recipes are very simple. I only wish they had more pics, I love a pic heavy cookbook. Each recipe tells you what equipment you would need such as a blender, food processor, dehydrator or none. Note that although vegetarian is in the title the recipes do not require cooking, with the exception of dehydrating.
Lori Dyann
If there is a "best of" raw recipes, then this is it. There is some health info, but it is nearly all recipes. Disappointingly, there are very few photos.

The book features around 50 raw foods chefs, and it has the best variety of food. Not recommend for first-timers.
Molly
I like the wide variety, and sheer bulk of recipes in this book. Some are ones I've seen before in other books (since this is a collection from a variety of raw foodists, many of whom have their own cookbooks.) There are only a handful of pictures, but that's ok for me.
Ellen Tran
There were a lot of new interesting things that I've never heard of before with other diet vegan books. The bad thing is how long it takes to make some of these recipes! Almost up to 12 HRS!
Overall though it's very informational and a good read.
*heartrl*
Some good recipes. I'm not 'going raw' though and don't really agree with some of the philosophies, but definitely adding more raw food to my diet and this book has a lot of creative additions.
Nina
A non-threatning way to introduce vegetables into your life without any confusion. List equipment you need and the brand they use. Useful information that will go a long way.
Mike Lieberman
used this book when i first started raw. really used the recipes as a starting point to come up with ideas. most of the recipes in the book have a lot of ingredients.
Christopher Colegrove
This is my Bible on Raw/Living foods. It has step by step what one needs to prepare the live foods and the recipes and helpful hints from many raw foodists!
Gyuri Grell
Some really good recipes in this one. Found it at the library, but considering getting my own copy.
Frank
the recipes are hit or miss. most are pretty easy. good ideas to create your own
Xebe(tron)
Some really good recipes even for people who are not into raw food.
Carmen
A very good recipe book for Raw foodists. Buy online.
Adrienna
Taking down some of the recipes now.
Velvetink
Jul 05, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read
epub tuebl
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Daren
Daren added it
Aug 10, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alexis
Alexis added it
Jul 05, 2014
Vegan Cooking &am...: The Complete Book of Raw Foods by Julie Rodwell 4 12 Dec 01, 2011 02:44AM
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Addiction to Cooked Food
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Raw Energy: 124 Raw Food Recipes for Energy Bars, Smoothies, and Other Snacks to Supercharge Your Body
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Conscious Eating
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately
The Complete Book of Raw Food, Second Edition: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods (The Complete Book of Raw Food Series) Complete Book of Raw Food, Volume 1