Start by marking “Fundamentals of Physics” as Want to Read:
Fundamentals of Physics

Fundamentals of Physics

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,358 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
No other book on the market today can match the 30-year success of Halliday, Resnick and Walker's Fundamentals of Physics! In a breezy, easy-to-understand style the book offers a solid understanding of fundamental physics concepts, and helps readers apply this conceptual understanding to quantitative problem solving. This book offers a unique combination of authoritative c ...more
Hardcover, 8th Edition, 1056 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published September 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Fundamentals of Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fundamentals of Physics

Feb 28, 2007 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Physics Majors and otheres curious about physics fundamentals
This book is an excellent reference. At my university the general physics class used "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli (sp?) That was an all right text; however, this one is far superior.
Laurel Roberts
May 08, 2007 Laurel Roberts is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds
right hand rule #43: if a ball drops sideways from a moving car while moving through a magnetic field at the speed of light, point your pointer finger in the direction of your temple, curl your fingers into your palm, and point your thumb in the +Y direction.
May 15, 2007 Omaima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: math/science students
Shelves: school-related
highly recommended as a helpful reference tool, even if it isn't your assigned textbook. well organized, colorful, and full of good examples. includes an interactive website. it is really good for learning, for those having trouble with physics, and especially for physics majors to go back for reference.
Jun 12, 2007 Maralena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who want to learn physics
As a physics text goes, it's not too bad. I am routinely confounded in lecture and turn to my trusty textbook to get me through exams. The authors have a sense of humor for sure, even if it's the dorky physicist kind of humor.
Todd Johnson
I'm not really fit to judge physics books. But neither the book nor the course really did it for me, so there you have it.
Feb 09, 2008 Annelies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wetenschap
I used it in my lectures for bachelor students. The level of the book is quite low, it could have had a little more mathematical derivations. Still, I found the exercises really good and very useful in the classroom.
it is the fundementals of mechanics , for student whom have just started university , or whom still in highschool yet but like physics very much .
Oct 26, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Physics text that got me through University. It contains a section on just about everything, it explains the Maths concepts as gently & thoroughly as it can (particularly good on vectors), but mostly it's written in a formal style that's still incredibly approachable.

Serway is good; HRW is better.
Mar 04, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This text changed my life.

A slide-loving pig slides down a certain 35 degree slide (Fig. 6-24) in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 35 degree slide. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the slide?

Note, there is a picture of a pig on a slide to accompany this question.

Never to overlook physics-nerds' unwavering sense of humor, Halliday/Resnick/Walker's text has served as both springboard and dog-eared, always-trusty reminder of why I endeavored
Jun 28, 2010 Martina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: undergrad students
Shelves: physics
This was my first real physics textbook ever, so I've refrained from reviewing it, fearing that my nostalgia will could my objective thinking. But the time has come for me to share my thoughts.

I gave Fundamentals of physics 5 stars a long time ago, in the spur of the moment. However, I won't change my mark now, for my feelings haven't changed. It's a great book for a beginner in real physics, for kids who have enrolled in an undergrad physics program and found out the not so pleasant truth: tha
Jan 13, 2011 Aparajitabasu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best and the probably the most difficult physics book out there!!!!
This is equally a work of art and academics !! Whether you like physics or hate it this is a book you can read whether you are in high school or work in a sophisticated research lab. This is in my all time favorite collection !
Dec 30, 2011 W rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
I'm not sure if this is the exact book I have but the one I have is terrible!!! (Same cover as this one). The sections are way to short to give you any detailed information. While my professor advised us to skip the sections and go straight to the summary, I learn best by outlining and these sections had nothing of use in them. I'd read the chapter and try to do the homework but the book gave me no clue how to solve any of the problems. I was so disappointed.
Anita Williamson
Who reads their Physics books cover to cover? I do. The essays between chapters were very interesting.
Jaasindah Mir
May 12, 2012 Jaasindah Mir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wont have added this to my goodreads list here had it not been this beautiful a book. I hate physics but the book makes me love it. Readin it, i came to believe, some gifted physicists writing books make you laugh with their wonderful sense of humor when the subject torments you. I've never read a reference book as magnificent as this one.
Jun 13, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to study under Jearl Walker (of Halliday, Resnick and Walker) and it is great to see his humor surface in an advanced text.
Sep 04, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on the date of publication I am pretty sure this is the text I used from 1983-84 for General Physics I and II. Sold and better than other similar texts I saw then or shortly after. It had the added benefit of bringing me together with my first love and much later wife. Few other physics books ever have that attached to them.
Lou Rocama
This book is highly irritating. The problems require an absurd number of assumptions to solve, and the text contains few examples. The equations are also sparser than I'd expect from a physics book. I transferred schools midway through general physics, and previously used Giancoli. You open that book, and half the page is equations and/or examples. Now I'm referring to it constantly, to figure out WTF this one wants me to do.

An example from physics 1, provided by a member of that class (mildly p
Dec 02, 2013 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good, that among Physics undergrads, it is called "the bible". My textbook for first year Physics. Even now, when I want to review something, I first reach for this. If you have high school trig and calculus, you will understand everything in this book. Plenty of excellent questions.
Jan 13, 2015 Akash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
tl;dr I can't think of a better textbook for a student to learn the fundamentals from. Simply brilliant!
Jun 13, 2013 Seth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Nov 05, 2013 Rakesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a very old version(My Dad's) of this book when I was a kid. The concepts are simple and I still remember reading the problems at the end of chapter for stories.

Preparing for college entrance examinations, I bought a new book and the experience was very different. You will not come across a better book which has so many things to keep you locked in. Physics explained in the way it is supposed to be.
Feb 02, 2016 Jeremie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, textbooks
Good for a survey course in introductory physics. I wouldn't recommend using the text for more than that purpose.

Those with strong mathematical backgrounds would be better served by introductory texts in the respective topics if they are seriously considering physics. Although most institutions will require the survey course regardless of chosen degree path.
Jan 23, 2014 Hermit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite texts from my college days. I still use it to exercise my brain. Get your geek on! :)
Sepideh Sahebsara
Sayanur Rahaman
Apr 18, 2015 Sayanur Rahaman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Brilliant book. I am lost for words. What is my meager understanding of Physics I owe to this gem of a book.
May 25, 2014 Hans rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book presents physics topics without the history of physics. It is purely physics concepts and physics math. As a introductory physics course textbook, this does its job. But as a book that should offer insight to the importance of physic (in general, even just SCIENCE and the scientific method), this book is dry. If you wanted to calculate some electricity and magnetism problems out, you'll have no problem. Just plug in Maxwell's Equations. But why or how Maxwell's Equations came to be, th ...more
Dec 11, 2014 Parastoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first real physics text book I read , and I should say whatever I learned later in life and in university I owe to the bases this book taught me
Jun 03, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my physics textbook at RPI in 1972. I felt it helped clarify many difficult concepts. What probably contributed more to the clarification was having Dr. Resnick as my recitation section instruction in the second semester.
Sep 16, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent first book on Physics but it avoids Calculus and Linear Algebra. It reads a lot like Stewart's Calculus book in that it's explanation-example-exercise with not a lot of creativity or emphasis on the conceptual. But many physicists seem to regard it well as an intro text.
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • Universe
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Problems In General Physics
  • Chemistry: The Central Science
  • From Neuron to Brain: A Cellular and Molecular Approach to the Function of the Nervous System (4th Edition)
  • Calculus [With CDROM]
  • Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Chemistry
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Understanding Physics (Motion, Sound, and Heat / Light, Magnetism, and Electricity / The Electron, Proton, and Neutron)
  • Concepts of Modern Physics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jearl Walker (born 1945 in Florida) is a physicist noted for his book Flying Circus of Physics, first published in 1975; the second edition was published in June 2006. He teaches physics at Cleveland State University.

Walker has also revised and edited the textbook Fundamentals of Physics with David Halliday and Robert Resnick.

Walker is a well known popularizer of physics, and appeared several time
More about Jearl Walker...