Start by marking “Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature Of Thought And Language” as Want to Read:
Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature Of Thought And Language

Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature Of Thought And Language

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In a series of stories before, after, and even during neurosurgery, an epileptic patient, Neil; his surgeon, George Ojemann; and neuroscientist William Calvin work together to remove a portion of Neil’s temporal lobe. If they do it right, they will have a good chance of putting an end to Neil’s seizures. If they slice too far to the left or right, they will wipe out essent ...more
Published April 25th 1995 by Basic Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Conversations With Neil's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversations With Neil's Brain

The first time I read this book was in college. I have since reread this book a few times. It's a fascinating look at the parts of the brain and how the brain works. It brings the science of the brain to life.
I had mixed feelings when I started to read this book as it was an obligatory book for one of my subject seminars. Studying Conference Interpretation, neurology isn't exactly a topic I had a lot of knowledge on. My biggest concern was, will I even understand this book?

I breezed through it in 3 days. The way it was written and the easy to comprehend explanations of how different brain parts work made it very enjoyable. Moreover, I actually managed to remember quite a lot of the information given
This book was fairly weak, perhaps ultimately because there isn't enough known about the topic of the book (thought, language, and the brain) to make the book interesting. Most of it was if you poke the brain here or destroy this part of the brain, so-and-so happens. Definitely one of those books that should have been an essay but they dragged it out into a full book to try to make a little $$.
This is one of those books I've bought more than once. I can never hold onto my own copy long, before I find someone to whom I must give it. Neurology has never entertained me more than in these pages.
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Irien marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Sean Stevens
Sean Stevens marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Beca is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2015
MaryLouine marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Oriana Cutajar
Oriana Cutajar marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Işın marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Ozlem marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
V marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
e marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Brian added it
Jan 17, 2015
Julie Lapolito
Julie Lapolito marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Çağrı Mert
Çağrı Mert marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ecz.imis marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Asaf marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lina marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Microbiology
  • The Three-Pound Enigma: The Human Brain and the Quest to Unlock Its Mysteries
  • The Science of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Intimate Behavior: A Zoologist's Classic Study of Human Intimacy
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Art, Mind and Brain: A Cognitive Approach to Creativity
  • Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective (5th Edition)
  • The Human Brain: A Guided Tour (Science Masters)
  • The First Idea: How Symbols, Language, and Intelligence Evolved from Our Primate Ancestors to Modern Humans
  • How People Change
  • Freedom and Destiny
  • The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be
  • Honey, Mud, Maggots and Other Medical Marvels: The Science Behind Folk Remedies and Old Wives' Tales
  • The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)
  • The Troublesome Amputee
  • Madman Volume 1: The Oddity Odyssey
  • Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Becoming Conscious in an Unconcscious World
  • On Job: God-Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent
William H. Calvin, Ph.D., is a theoretical neurobiologist, Affiliate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is the author of a dozen books, mostly for general readers, about brains and evolution.

More about William H. Calvin...
The River That Flows Uphill: A Journey from the Big Bang to the Big Brain How Brains Think: Evolving Intelligence, Then And Now A Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond A Brain for All Seasons: Human Evolution and Abrupt Climate Change The Cerebral Symphony: Seashore Reflections on the Structure of Consciousness