Start by marking “Snow Ponies” as Want to Read:
Snow Ponies

Snow Ponies

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Magical ponies create the first snowfall of winter

Published November 1st 2001 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Ponies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Ponies

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsSnowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs MartinDream Snow by Eric Carle
Winter Children's Books
103rd out of 173 books — 41 voters
The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul GobleClip-Clop by Nicola SmeeLeonardo's Horse by Jean FritzFritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan BrettRobert the Rose Horse by Joan Heilbroner
Picture Books About Horses
43rd out of 103 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Fulton
This is a beautifully told and illustrated story that will capture any young child's imagination. Perfect for any time of the year, but especially Christmas. Old Man Winter releases his snow ponies from their stables, setting them free to frolic across the landscape, changing it from warm autumnal hues to the deep white of winter. 'Creatures of forest and field shiver' and get out of the way. The squirrel curls up in its oak, the fox snuggles in its den and the songbirds hide in the holly as the ...more
Marcia
I really enjoyed this well-written gentle tale of Old Man Winter releasing his ponies to cover forest and fields in snow. The story is complimented by magical illustrations of soft hues. I love the continuous bits of confetti-like colors that float across each page. I also like the contrast between the peaceful night and the rambunctious ponies, along with poetic lines such as “Their whinnies and whickers whistle through the trees.”
Christine Turner
Magical ponies create the first snowfall of winter On a cold, gray day, Old Man Winter leads his snow ponies outside. "Are you ready?" he asks. Yes! Faster and faster the ponies gallop. Everything they touch turns white with snow as they bring winter to the forest and field. At last the ponies tire, and Old Man Winter settles them down for the night in their cozy barn. Outside, the world is covered with a soft white blanket. Winter has come at last. Simple, poetic text and evocative illustration ...more
Meg McGregor
When my little ones ask "Why does winter come?" I now have an exquisite book to answer that question!

Old Man Winter releases the snow ponies out into the wild, and wherever they step, winter comes!

Beautifully illustrated, this book is sure to be a keeper in any child's book collection!.
babyhippoface
What? You thought Jack Frost brought winter? Well, you're wrong. It's the Snow Ponies who bring winter!

Every year, at just the right time, Old Man Winter opens the stalls and releases the snow ponies, who gallop and frolick and whinny and whicker and turn everything they touch winter-white. Then, when all is a blanket of snow, they return home to Old Man Winter's barn.

Kids who love horses will enjoy this one. The paintings are both lively and lovely, and the snow-white ponies are beautiful. (3-
Alice
4 Stars for Really Nice Pictures! I liked the story at around 3.5 stars ...but it did like it!

Let it snow!!
Beverly
Loved the illustrations.
Christi
I, personally, didn't LOVE this book, but it has definitely been the hit of the 16 books we checked out 5 Sept. (we go to the library every Friday, but it was closed on the 12th so these books will have to do for two whole weeks.) I think we've read it EVERY NIGHT with one exception. One of the girls always picks it for their read. The theme is a nice idea, but the writing isn't um.. exceptional. It's pretty good, I guess.
Nicole Bell
This story reminds me of a long poem. The text will expose children to several new words: romp, stall, jostling, prancing, canter, whinnies, whickers, frolic, nip, buck, and the homonym pen. “Snow Ponies” would be a great beginning for an activity on how to use a dictionary.
Karen
Ok story about where snow comes from: Old Man Winter lets out his snow ponies, who race and play. The book is a bit unclear about how the ponies actually make it snow. Nice illustrations.
Karin Manser
Karin Manser marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Victoria Zigler
Victoria Zigler marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Rebecca Colby
Rebecca Colby marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Kelsi_Betsy
Kelsi_Betsy marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Maria
Maria added it
Dec 17, 2014
Hussa Alhasawi
Hussa Alhasawi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
Oct 19, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Sep 29, 2014
This Is the Stable The Book Boat's In Rain Play At the Edge of the Woods: A Counting Book Abbie in Stitches