Start by marking “Minerva Clark Gets a Clue (Minerva Clark, #1)” as Want to Read:
Minerva Clark Gets a Clue (Minerva Clark, #1)

Minerva Clark Gets a Clue (Minerva Clark #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Minerva Clark is a typical thirteen-year-old girl: she hates her hair, she hates her legs (which somehow manage to look both too fat and too skinny at the same time), and don't get her started on her gigantor bootie. On top of all this puberty, she's being raised by three older brothers, none of whom really get her. But when a fateful encounter with a lightning storm rewir ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published September 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Minerva Clark Gets a Clue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minerva Clark Gets a Clue

Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterPoint Blank by Anthony HorowitzScorpia by Anthony HorowitzEagle Strike by Anthony Horowitz
Spy Kids
149th out of 237 books — 484 voters
13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen JohnsonFaerie Wars by Herbie BrennanThe Purple Emperor by Herbie BrennanRuler of the Realm by Herbie BrennanEon by Alison Goodman
Underrated Books that Should Be Movies
81st out of 102 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephany
Jun 11, 2009 Stephany rated it it was amazing
This book is about a 7th-grader named Minerva who finds impermeable self-confidence and courage after receiving an electric shock. Minerva goes on to solve a complicated murder mystery involving her own friends and family members.

I liked this book because I could relate to Minerva. She was very critical of herself, very shy, and had difficulty being herself and being honest with other people. I admired how brave and "real" she was after being shocked, and hope to eventually experience a similar
Watermelon Daisy
Jan 23, 2012 Watermelon Daisy rated it liked it

FIRST IMPRESSION:
I first borrowed this sometime last year. I wanted to read a mystery, but then I put it down. I think it's because we were shifting houses, and I thought I may lose the library books if I didn't return them. But anyhow, I was about a third into the book and wasn't sure where it was going.

WRITING STYLE:
I quite like the writing style. It's efficient, doesn't waste time on descriptions. But then, I can also picture the characters very well. So it's a fairly good writing style, in m
Jessi
Jun 18, 2009 Jessi rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor, juvenile
School Library Journal:
Grade 5-8–Rebus-loving seventh grader Minerva Clark humorously describes the worst day of her life, which includes making a fool of herself in front of peers at an arcade, seeing her favorite cousin getting arrested, and suffering from electric shock. But events soon take a dangerously suspenseful twist when Minerva's personality changes as a result of the jolt of electricity. No longer suffering from self-conscious, self-deprecating adolescent woes, she becomes comfortabl
Pumpkin
Finally finished the fourth of four books I needed to read to compete on my teacher-team of the Battle-of-the-Books at school.

Enjoyed: Set in Portland, OR, so I recognized many of the places and events. POV of main character as a strange event takes her out of the self-conscious mind of a 7th grader to look at other people and herself in some other way than from the "outside". The "broken" family of BIC (brothers in charge) was enjoyable, as was the humor. Rebus parts a bit hit.

Not so much: The
Rad
Mar 07, 2010 Rad rated it it was ok
Why I did not entirely enjoy this book:

1. Excessive use of brand names and product placement. EVERY PAGE. I AM SERIOUS. At least it was consistent.
2. Every single tiny character got a major description. EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER. Again, I AM SERIOUS. If it wasn't the old woman at the counter of the book store who never shows up again, it was the detective who shows up three times for two seconds.
3. Despite the fact that her brothers got three VERY DIFFERENT descriptions, I had trouble telling them
Noah Gray
Apr 15, 2016 Noah Gray rated it really liked it
Every once in awhile I get strange urges. This morning I wanted a funny YA book with a likable heroine. This was it. I mean, if she hadn't been shocked and that annoying teenage part wasn't wiped from her mind...I wouldn't have lasted. She became more my kind of people when we delved into the book. It was a good quick read.
Tatyana
Jun 07, 2010 Tatyana rated it it was amazing
I, personally LOVE mysteries. I love the way how the authors can make a reader's brain thinking about a good, mysterious book. In Minerva Clark Gets a Clue, the main character, Minerva, experiences many strange happenings. She is a typical teenager...she has her flaws and her likes/dislikes. She has three brothers who are to take turns taking care of her. One day, at one of her brother's art show, she gets electrocuted. With just a single jolt, she is not only unself-conscious, but she is also b ...more
Paula
Feb 10, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it
Minerva is an endearing, entertaining, fresh character being raised by three quirky older brothers. Good mystery (although the explanation for one of the central clues never was revealed--I checked twice) that kept me hooked right up to the end.
Lesley
Nov 20, 2014 Lesley rated it liked it
Shelves: children, suspense
I wanted to like it more--kind of hard to follow the mystery--and very unsure about a 7th grader investigating an actual murder, having seen the dead body of someone she knew a little and thought was nice. Seemed like there were some intense issues that could have been addressed more deeply: a girl being raised by three older brothers, finding out people she loves are doing some pretty bad things, etc. Started off with the premise of her becoming more assertive, less self-conscious after an elec ...more
Mark
Dec 30, 2014 Mark rated it it was ok
Even being set in Portland can't save Minerva. Uneven work Karen.
Esme
Oct 13, 2012 Esme rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: saylor waldorf
Recommended to Esme by: mom
I loved this book!It really captures you and is really funny!Full of rebuses and many clues intwined all with giant mixed up mystery!!!!!I love how Karen Karbo wrirtes her books.Minerva really is like any other teenage girl but after the shock everything changes.I love the names of the characters!(morgan,mark clark,minerva,toc,quills,reggie,tiffani,jordan,dwight,clyde,zoe,pansy,hannah,julia,chelsea de guzman,chelsea evans and jupiter the ferret(only soem of the characters)
Olivia
Sep 13, 2009 Olivia rated it really liked it
This book is an intriguing mystery/fictional book. This book is about 11 year old Minerva Clark whose life just turned upside down. Ever sice the day she was shocked, things have been a bit different. To find out more about this fictional mystery read this book! You wont regret it! I promise. I know i dont regret reading this. If you are a mystery type of reader then you will love this book!
Allison
Dec 13, 2008 Allison rated it liked it
I read this for a mystery writing assignment. I had to find a novel that fit a certain category and this one did. It is labeled for ages 9-12, but I think it is closer to 11-14. It was a fun mystery with an interesting main character. It touches subjects like self esteem, murder, and identity theft. It was a cute story and I liked it, but not enough to read more of the series.
Dannielle
Mar 06, 2009 Dannielle rated it it was amazing
I also read this book for the children's literature class I'm taking, and it was SO much fun to read. The story is based out of Portland, which also made it that much more fun to read since I live here. Karen kept me guessing until the end - and didn't leave me disappointed! The culprits got what they deserved!
The Library Lady
Dec 28, 2007 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who want something a lot better written than Nancy Drew!
Shelves: ya-books
I have always HATED Nancy Drew, so I won't compare this to it as others have done. Besides, often awkward, far from perfect Minerva and her motley crew of brothers and friends is about as different from Nancy as you can get.
I loved this, and I am looking forward to more Minerva adventures.
Jennifer Wyld
Dec 29, 2008 Jennifer Wyld rated it liked it
An interesting twist of fate. A young woman is electrocuted in a freak accident involving performance art - and the effect is that she looses her paralyzing self confidence and decides to solve a local murder case. Well written. An OBOB book.
April
Nov 24, 2008 April rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit, 2008
Very cute middle-grade myserty about a girl who accidently gets electrocuted and the shock to her system causes her to lose all her self doubts. She uses her newfound confidence to solve a murder that somehow involves her favorite cousin.
Jeff
Jul 23, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it
This is a BOB book for this year and I really enjoyed it. It makes current references, is funny, and has a strong, 7th grade, female protagonist who is confident in herself---something that is hard to find. Great book....
Thea3
Jan 13, 2010 Thea3 rated it really liked it
good so far. It has a lot going on but in all it is a graet book. This book is rote up well and i can tell something bad i going to happen.

if you have read this book can you tell me something about it.
Ariel
Jun 05, 2008 Ariel rated it it was amazing
This book was funny and the series has kept my mom laughing. At the same time though, there's s mystery in progress! Would definitely recommend.
Maddy
Jun 27, 2012 Maddy rated it really liked it
This was a great mystery book. It took me a little while to get into it but once I did, I was impressed by the plot and Minerva Clark's smarts!:)
Kathy Erskine
Mar 19, 2008 Kathy Erskine rated it really liked it
Fun book! Clever, quirky characters -- even a ferret. I particularly love the 3 BIC's (brothers in charge). A hoot.
Kate
Jun 14, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
There were some bad words in this book! Tisk, Tisk, Tisk! But other than that Minerva Clark was good.
Marilyn
Oct 11, 2007 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 7th grade - 9th grade
I like the characters in these mysteries, particularly Minerva and her brothers.
Megan
Jun 29, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
A fantastic mystery about a girl who's life is changed by a bolt of lightning
Evelyn
Aug 04, 2009 Evelyn rated it really liked it
I read this book in one day!!! I think that explains it all...........
Julie
Jul 15, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Silly, fun, original. Some of my favorite literary qualities.
Becky
Jul 17, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Fun, quirky characters, with a mystery thrown in.
Brittney
Jan 06, 2009 Brittney rated it it was amazing
This book makes you want to not stop!!!!!!
Emily
Aug 21, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
An amazing mystery with unexpected twists
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
  • Chicken Boy
  • I Represent Sean Rosen
  • Below
Karen Karbo's first novel, Trespassers Welcome Here, was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and a Village Voice Top Ten Book of the Year. Her other two adult novels, The Diamond Lane and Motherhood Made a Man Out of Me, were also named New York Times Notable Books.

Karbo's 2004 memoir, The Stuff of Life, about the last year she spent with her father before his death, was an NYT Notable Book
More about Karen Karbo...

Minerva Clark (3 books)
  • Minerva Clark Goes to the Dogs (Minerva Clark, #2)
  • Minerva Clark Gives Up the Ghost (Minerva Clark, #3)