Start by marking “Little Brown Brother: How the United States Purchased and Pacified the Philippines” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  29 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
First published in 1960, Little Brown Brother won the Francis Parkman Prize from the Society of American Historians in 1962 as the book which "best combined serious historical scholarship and literary distinction." Available again, this book looks at a long history of Filipino struggle for independence. When the Spanish-American war broke out in 1898, the Philippines--a co ...more
Published April 9th 1992 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Little Brown Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Brown Brother

April
Aug 05, 2011 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a personal interest in this subject — my great-grandfather fought in the Philippine-American war; he enlisted from upstate New York in 1899, did his three years, and was discharged in 1902 with a record of excellent service. Before I'd ever looked him up, I never even knew that the U.S. was ever in a war with the Philippines. This isn't something even mentioned in history classes today.

Were it not for my personal interest, I don't think I would have ever picked this book up. I'm not a hug
Karsten
Apr 08, 2014 Karsten rated it really liked it
Pelaut
Aug 25, 2012 Pelaut rated it it was amazing
I first read this book back in 1968 when I was living in Manila.
I just bought a new copy and read it a second time.
It is interesting to note that torture, killing of prisoners, looting, massacres of civilians
and shooting up of wedding parties etc. is an old tradition in the USAF...
A well written, detailed account of the US invasion of the Philippines.

There is a similar book on the same subject, namely "Philippine-American War, 1899-1902"
written by the Filipino historian Arnaldo Dumindin. This b
Joe Paulk
Mar 31, 2008 Joe Paulk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's dated. Normally, dated history can be fun if stuffiness can be overlooked, but this time.....ah...I just didn't feel it. The author also had racial superiority views that were more common in academia a half century ago. I did enjoy a look at daily life for a soldier at the turn of the turn of the century. It wasn't so "Be All You Can Be".
Rob Mcke
May 24, 2013 Rob Mcke rated it it was amazing
I particularly like the story of Ferdrick Funston played a key role in planning and executing the capture of Filipino President Emilio Aguinaldo, it's boys own stuff but at the time was seen as unfair.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 25, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: political, history
At the end of the Spanish-American War, the US gained control of the Philippines. This work discusses how America went about governing the Philippines and the treatment of the natives.
Craig Bolton
"Little Brown Brother (HOW THE UNITED STATES PURCHASED AND PACIFIED THE PHILIPPINE ISLANDS AT THE CENTURY'S TURN, FRANCIS PARKMAN PRIZE EDITION) by Leon Wolff (2006)"
Homer H Blass
Jul 28, 2011 Homer H Blass is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting background to Spanish American War. Dated but well written with lots of bon mots.
George
George rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2007
Fredrick
Fredrick rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2011
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
May 14, 2008
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2011
P J
P J rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2011
LiehTzu
LiehTzu rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2010
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Leo
Leo rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Timothy Tyson
Timothy Tyson rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
E.E.
E.E. rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Brick Wahl
Brick Wahl rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Alan   Mauldin
Alan Mauldin rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Mark Feltskog
Mark Feltskog rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2009
Michael Connolly
Michael Connolly rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Marlon Sarmiento
Marlon Sarmiento rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
Andre Santillana
Andre Santillana rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2013

Frances Parkinson Prize winning historian who wrote Little Brown Brother, Lockout, Low Level Mission and In Flanders Fields.
More about Leon Wolff...