Start by marking “The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]” as Want to Read:
The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]

The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Little, Brown Handbook has always addressed both the most current and the recurrent needs of composition teachers and students while remaining an accessible reference and a comprehensive classroom text. The eighth edition continues that tradition by offering greatly expanded coverage of writing and researching with computers, smaller chapters for large subjects such as ...more
Hardcover, Eighth Edition, 0 pages
Published July 23rd 2002 by Longman (first published August 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]

Tom
Megan
Oct 21, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody in her right mind would read this book cover to cover. But since I'm going to be using this in the class I'm teaching next term, I'm trying to read the whole thing. Every time I sit down with it though, I fall asleep. What does this say about my qualifications as a teacher? I'm afraid to ask.
Runningfox
Aug 28, 2007 Runningfox rated it it was amazing
An excellent comprehensive reference guide for any writer.. This is a very excellent small reference book and is a great help for anyone who enjoys writing..
Misnomer
Mar 31, 2007 Misnomer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: alwaysaccessing
Too many people can't speak properly - and writing has been completely disregarded. I wish people would take literacy more seriously and invest in improving their language skills. This book is the sure fire way to becoming 'literate'. Just knowing how to read and write is not literacy, folks. It's about relating, comprehending, visualizing, etc.

Arm yourself before it's too late.
Lauren H
Sep 25, 2007 Lauren H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a solid, oft-required in college courses, handbook. although, i must admit i'm a bit put-off that they no longer use brown covers. geez, little, brown handbook... stick with what you know! with who you are! (mine is brown, though it's also a lot older. and scribbled in. and blissfully unaware of the internet and electronic resources...)
Jeffrey
Jun 27, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
This one has it all, and it's nicely organized, and--can I say?--it looks neat. It has what all good readers and writers need: grammar, mechanics, spelling rules and tips, sentence help, knowing the difference between a phrase and clause, and so on. A standar, classic, choice.
Jez Roscoe
Aug 12, 2016 Jez Roscoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very informative, but the organization is hard to find things. I utilized this book with two of my English classes. It was more helpful for my Research & Writing class than my College Writing class.
Lafcadio
Aug 19, 2007 Lafcadio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leslie
The teacher's edition. Don't really know how I got my hands on this one, but I'm shifty like that. Now I can rule the world! Or... just effectively teach grammar. Same thing, though, right?
Anna
Oct 12, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third Edition. From 1986 so for college? $13.80 but no name inside. And doesn't look so much used, but the name rings bells.
Charles
My college rhetoric handbook. I think I may just read it this time around, instead of just as a resource.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Little, Brown Handbook by H. Ramsey Fowler (1986)
Jessica
Nov 03, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
A good basic grammar text. Easy to read, strong index.
Alex
The Little, Brown Handbook by H. Ramsey Fowler (1997)
Wendy
May 03, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic.
Renee' Williams
Jul 12, 2014 Renee' Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A+
Yahe Yang
Yahe Yang is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Aug 24, 2016
Jessica Gunter
Jessica Gunter marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Natahali
Natahali rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Conwade Kerr
Conwade Kerr marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Elise
Elise added it
Aug 20, 2016
Katie Wilson
Katie Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Tina Walker
Tina Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
alicia greenidge
alicia greenidge rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Patricia Thomas
Patricia Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
James Rink
James Rink marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Economics: Principles, Problems, and Policies
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • Simon & Shuster Handbook for Writers
  • Contemporary Marketing
  • The Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • The Art of Sign Language
  • Models for Writers: Short Essays for Composition
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume III: From the Protestant Reformation to the Twentieth Century
  • The St. Martin's Handbook