The Portable Promised Land: Stories

The Portable Promised Land: Stories

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Welcome to Soul City, the fictional American metropolis where magic is as natural as sunshine. With this inspired collection--in which irreverent humor and sharp-eyed social satire combine to produce unforgettable stories--Toure emerges as one of the most talented and inventive young writers at work today.
Published April 4th 2003 by Back Bay Books (first published July 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Promised Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Promised Land

Melissa
Twitter has sort of changed my view of Toure but this book fantastic. Fresh, delightful. I bought it three times...you don't know me but usually when I lose a book that I've already read, I cut my losses because I'm cheap.
Makeba
so...does my *** rating make me less of a boho chic geek??

i read tppl after hearing how dope, fresh, witty, weird, and engaging it was for the 25th time in seven years. i dug it, but it didn't resonate with me in the way most of my friends(who share similar tastes in tomes) had mentioned. yes, books can transcend time, but i believe that this work is located in a specific moment, experience, and clique--one that if i had read it c. 2003-05, i'd be evangelizing its greatness along with the crew....more
Rachel Grey
This is a fabulous collection of stories, inventive, witty, wild. The title track tells of a man who bargains with the devil to achieve his ends: he never wants to see white folks again. Blindness, salvation, and flight. Toure attempts new flights of fancy as he writes of magic sneakers. He distills the world of african american imagery and possiblity into a truly hip and passionate vision of a wild and mystical world. Laugh out loud funny, filled to the brim with absurdities and truths too absu...more
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2004...Read for school. Now I'm not really a fan of magic realism. In fact, every other book I've tried to read in the genre I've never finished. This collection was actually not so bad. The stories take place in Soul City, a urban black utopia of sorts. Some of the stories left me a bit bored, but others were good. I got the chance to meet Toure and he read some of the stories that will be in his next book which centers around more residents of Soul City. I'll be sure to pick it up because it s...more
deepa
magical realism. inventive, imaginative, irreverent to the point of making me feel uncomfortable at times.
Ms.
I enjoyed the larger-than-life stories at the beginning of the book...the first three tales, perhaps? Then skipped about and read a few others but some seemed familiar---as though I had read somethign similar beforedidn't have enough interest to read them all. Well written satirical fiction...at times bombastic, but some storylines may appeal to you more than others...
Paul Cirone
This was an absolute pleasure. Irreverent. Full of formidable originality and creativity. Endlessly fascinating and provocative. This guy is sortof a genius and these are some of the best short stories I've ever read. Highly recommend this one.
Fritz Graham
Hilarious! This collection of short stories was a nice change to the sad and extensive fantasy novels i've been reading lately. You should pick this one up if you would like a literary change of pace.
Zakiya
I loved this book!!! It's like reading an urban, adult fairytale. The short stories are so original. This is just such a fun read. We read this for our book club and everyone enjoyed it.
Natalie Gross
Jun 24, 2008 Natalie Gross rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
One of my favorite books. I enjoy his humor and his writing style. Anything with magical realism has my vote.
Sandra Proto
a literary In Living Color, Saturday Night Live, Mad Tv, South Park and The Twilight Zone”
Stephanie
this is one of my favorite books. toure makes magical realism hilarious and touching.
Dominique
Mar 12, 2007 Dominique rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone black
This book is hilarious. A great, great great subway book that is indeed quite funny.
Quinten
Some standout stories. I especially enjoyed the "top 50 words in Black America"
Stephinstereo
amazing! touré is a truth-teller and a wonderful storyteller.
Sidik Fofana
SIX WORD REVIEW: Magical realism meets the Black neighborhood.
Chary
Hood and intellegent; the stories will CRACK YOU UP!
Neenah
critically funny; classic black gen X shit
Kevin
Jan 30, 2008 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
top 5 fiction books, will bring you home
Terri Adele
I so dislike this book.
Monique
Great book of short stories.
Aaron Robertson
Aaron Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
rachel
rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Marianka Campisi
Marianka Campisi marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Adeola Adegbola
Adeola Adegbola marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
SunnyD
SunnyD marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Touré Neblett is an American novelist, essayist, music journalist, cultural critic, and television personality.

More about Touré...
Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness?: What it Means to Be Black Now I Would Die 4 U: Why Prince Became an Icon Never Drank the Kool-Aid: Essays Soul City Lit Riffs: Writers "Cover" the Songs They Love