Start by marking “Death in a Promised Land: The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921” as Want to Read:
Death in a Promised Land: The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921

Death in a Promised Land: The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921

When a crows began to gather outside the jail in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on the evening of May 31, 1921., the fate of one of its prisoners, a young black male, seemed assured. Accused of attempting to rape a white woman, Dick Rowland was with little doubt about to be lynched.

But in another part of town, a small group of black men, many of them World War I veterans, decided to ris
Published January 1st 1992 by LSU Press (first published February 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Death in a Promised Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in a Promised Land

Vaishali Joglekar
Feb 15, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it liked it
Shelves: american-history
Shocking account of Black Wall Street, one of America's most prosperous communities in 1921 and victim of the worst race riot in her history. I've read 5 books on the riot, and this one is the slimmest volume. It's also the first book written on the event, and the one subsequent authors credit the most. Ellsworth was at one time lead consult to the Oklahoma commission on the riot.

The book's best feature is a map of Central Tulsa from 1917-21, and a comprehensive chart of Greenwood's black-owned
Jeff Crosby
Apr 19, 2015 Jeff Crosby rated it really liked it
My third recent read on the 1921 Tulsa race riot that leveled the Greenwood section of that city over the course of two days. Scott Ellsworth was among the first to critically research the events and bring them to light through this book. It's a wonderful complement to "Riot & Remembrance" by Hirsch and "The Burning" by Madigan, and more brief than either for those who are interested in the subject but want a quick survey. Meticulously researched and footnoted, it illuminated the roots and t ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 21, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is a book that was quite surprising to me. It is about the Tulsa race riot of 1921, which is something I had not heard of. It records an event which takes racial hatred to new levels, and even has something which pre-dated the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II. It even describes a situation which is very similar to the type of fighting seen in Germany during WWII. I will only point out some special things that I noted:

1. The book goes into how Tulsa developed befor
Cherisse
The depth of Americans racism and the means by which it was used as a justification for violence against hard working African Americans is amazing.
Evan Ramspott
May 20, 2015 Evan Ramspott rated it it was amazing
Death in a Promised Land is concise and thorough. I've read all the books on the subject of the Tulsa Race Riot during my own research efforts and found this book to be the best resource. It reads well and is a compelling reminder of what went wrong. All the other books I mention...I'm pretty sure they've borrowed a little from this one.
Allison
May 16, 2012 Allison rated it liked it
A quick, easy read. The material was something I had never come across before. Ellsworth tells the story of how in 1921, the entire livelihood of the black population was essentially burned to the ground. The book investigates the causes leading up to the race riot, and its aftermath. I gave the book three stars only because at times the writing was a bit shoddy. Otherwise, a very informative historical read.
Tank Tankersley
Jul 12, 2009 Tank Tankersley rated it really liked it
This is a great book for those seeking information about the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. As a Tulsan myself, born over sixty years after the riot, I was not aware of many of the circumstances leading up to and following that fateful day.
Yulonda
Mar 18, 2008 Yulonda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: It's a good to assign to undergraduates.
It's a good book about the anatomy of a race riot and how that riot figures into the memory of black and white people.
Tamilyn
Tamilyn marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Heath Black
Heath Black rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Ernest Sneed
Ernest Sneed marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Alessandra Cordeiro
Alessandra Cordeiro marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Cassie Fleurs
Cassie Fleurs marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Alex Koenig
Alex Koenig marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Guy Maxfield
Guy Maxfield marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Dadestroyer Al-Ghamdi
Dadestroyer Al-Ghamdi rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2016
Kendraj
Kendraj rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
G
G added it
Jun 18, 2016
Cindy Strine
Cindy Strine marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
sal
sal marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Noah Kai
Noah Kai rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Trista
Trista rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Riot and Remembrance: The Tulsa Race War and Its Legacy
  • Black Metropolis: A Study of Negro Life in a Northern City
  • The Burning: Massacre, Destruction, and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921
  • The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America
  • My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
  • Red Summer: The Summer of 1919 and the Awakening of Black America
  • Behind the Mask of Chivalry: The Making of the Second Ku Klux Klan
  • Silent Covenants: Brown v. Board of Education and the Unfulfilled Hopes for Racial Reform
  • Want to Start a Revolution?: Radical Women in the Black Freedom Struggle
  • Freedom Summer
  • Southern Horrors: Women and the Politics of Rape and Lynching
  • White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
  • Cold War Civil Rights: Race and the Image of American Democracy
  • Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow
  • White: Essays on Race and Culture
  • Stokely Speaks: From Black Power to Pan-Africanism
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Body and Soul: The Black Panther Party and the Fight Against Medical Discrimination