Start by marking “Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)” as Want to Read:
Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)

Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  5,005 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
London's most notorious rogue—decadent, depraved, forbidden...

The ladies of the ton won't stop whispering about deliciously wicked Jack Dodger—once a thieving street urchin, now the wealthy owner of London's most exclusive gentleman's club. There's no pleasure he hasn't enjoyed, no debauchery the handsome scoundrel won't provide for the lords who flock to his house of carn
Published December 30th 2008 by Avon (first published 2008)

Shawna
5 stars – Historical Romance

I loved this evocative story of two very different people from opposite social classes who form a deep, emotional connection and share an explosive passion that heals them both. It’s a poignant, romantic story with remarkable characters that stays with you long after you’ve finished reading it.

Notorious, devilishly wicked rogue Jack Dodger is the rich, powerful owner of London’s most famous, exclusive gentleman’s club, but no matter how much wealth he accumulates, he
Mo
Mar 11, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another solid read from this author. We met Jack in the previous book and had an inkling that he had a not so nice childhood.

Duchess Nicole
Jack is the bad boy of the scoundrels. He owns a gaming hell, and revels in sin and vice. He has very few morals or scruples. In fact, he starts the book out as quite the unfeeling ass hole. Olivia's husband has recently died and the resulting mess that he leaves her in is pretty wild. She and Jack Dodger are thrown together, along with her young son. The best part about this story was watching the cynical, loner man fall in love with both the proper Duchess and the precocious little boy. Lorrai ...more
Lover of Romance
Jack Dodger, a wealthy man who owns a prestigious gentleman's club. Having lived on the streets when he was younger, he craves wealth. So when he hears that the Duke of Lovingdon has died, but his will leaves him all his entailed wealth, if he agrees to be guardian to his son, he agrees but meets resistance with the mother, Olivia. Olivia is furious, after hearing the will and that she has no power, even as the mother of her son, to repute the offer to Jack Dodger. Jack is only doing this for th ...more
Beanbag Love
Jan 06, 2010 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
4.5 for this one. It was as difficult to put down as "In Bed with the Devil" but I didn't love the heroine as much.

Olivia, the Duchess of Lovingdon, is recently widowed. As the story opens she waits for the reading of her much older husband's will. The only other person present is notorious scoundrel, Jack Dodger, who is there at Lovingdon's request.

As her husband's solicitor reads the will we know that Olivia most strongly wants the house she's been living in for herself and her son. Her son w
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 20, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Jan09

Lorraine Heath’s books are a bit of a treat for me. Her characters are always interesting (both male AND female), the plots always have a bit of a twist, and the heat between the hero and heroine is always sizzling. “Between the Devil and Desire” lives up to all of the above and includes a subplot of heroes in rags-to-riches circumstances in her ‘Scoundrels of St James’ series.

Olivia is a Duchess who prides herself on her proper behavior. She was
Pepa
Me ha gustado mucho, quizás más que el primero
Esos dos protagonists tan opuestos, tanto en clase social como en ideas de conducta. Ese corazón de oro que tiene Jack, ese pasado. En el fondo los dos comparten una existencia prácticamente vacía.
Me encantan las novelas de tiras y aflojas, y los diálogos irónicos.

Quizás no tenga un argumento muy original, pero los dos personajes se comen la historia

LuvGirl
Nuria Llop
Sep 29, 2016 Nuria Llop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relectura
Maravillosa. Ya me fascinó cuando la leí hace algunos años y ahora me ha vuelto a dejar con esa sensación de felicidad que debería causar siempre la novela romántica. Él es un personaje tan bien construido que te atrapa desde el primer momento y de lo único que tienes ganas es de estar en el lugar de la viuda que es la protagonista de la historia. Ella encaja perfectamente en su época y en sus circunstancias, por lo que el contraste entre ambos es perfecto. La pareja por sí sola sostendría la no ...more
Bubu
Oct 17, 2016 Bubu rated it it was ok
Shelves: hr
From the blurb:
London's most notorious rogue—decadent, depraved, forbidden...
Oh, Jack Dodger, I've had such high hopes for you. That description above alone...But then, you had some big shoes to fill. Why is it again that Lisa Kleypas' characters Derek Craven and Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent are so popular again? Or think of Dain from Lord of Scoundrels. Ah yeah, there was enough naughtiness and wickedness in them that I, as the reader knew, that - despite their redemption - they'd always stay
Mojca
Between the Devil and Desire Jack Dodger grew up on the streets. His mother sold him when he was only five and only luck and determination saved him. He escaped only to be found by Feagan, a kidsman, training children to pick pockets and survive on the streets. When he was ten, he saved his friend, Luke, now known as the Earl of Claybourne (In Bed With the Devil) from a bad predicament in prison, earning his eternal friendship...And "permanent" sojourn in Luke's grandfather's house, education an ...more
Mei
Mar 17, 2015 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Poor Jack... I knew since the first book that he has suffered greatly... Poor boy... I hate (view spoiler)!!!

I admired him for his courage and his overcoming everything that happened to him. Obviously that left scars on his body and soul, but I loved that he was so tender with Olivia and Henry.

He was also fun and his teasing Olivia made me laugh. And she was so easy to tease! LOL

Olivia, at the beginning, was like an example of women from that era: straitlaced, proper,
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 11, 2016 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it

I loved the characters. Their story starts with a bang.

Between the Devil and Desire is a wonderful love story. It has a darker side, but neither the romance nor the darker side of the story overwhelms it. Everything has its place and none of it is used just to be there.
Another thing I loved is that Olivia's late husband wasn't a monster.

The resolution of the late Duke's choice for his son's guardian and Jack's past might not be for everyone, but it suits his character and this story perfectly.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Stars

I admit I was a bit disappointed in this book. Not that I didn't like it. I did. It's just that I had higher expectations.

Jack was by far the most intriquing of the Scoundrels in the first book in the series. In this one though I didn't have much love for him. He beaved like a jerk to a recently widowed woman without any care just because it amused him. Yes, in the end everything worked well, and he did grow on me but the beginning was rocky.

Olivia was nice. There is no other word reall
Zoe
Oct 26, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not certain how I feel about this book.

On one hand, great writing. Lorraine Heath writes beautifully. I loved the letter Lovingdon wrote to Jack at the end of the story. Such eloquence.

On the other hand, I do not feel like that I know Jack and Olivia at all. I can hardly imagine them, no mental pictures, no personalities, despite Heath's outstanding proses. I can only conclude that I have no emotional connection to either character, which pretty much killed the book for me.

Thankfully, Lu
Irina
I should have listened to my inner voice and allowed some time before jumping into the sequence straight away.

As it is, I found it similar in its structure and development, but lacking the spark the first book has had. To be honest, I've straggled to finish it. When I start skipping the sex scenes, especially the highly anticipated ones, I know I'm reaching my limit.

Yet, the ending had saved it for me. LH wraps up her books nicely. Her storytelling has always some moral in it. And I've come to
Keri
Jan 05, 2012 Keri rated it it was amazing
Jack's book was an absolute fabulous read. The ultimate historical playboy; a regular purveyor of sin. So what the heck could the Duke of Lovingdon have been thinking when he made Jack the guardian of the Duke's son? Well let's not forget Olivia the Duchess and she has a few choice words and thoughts about Jack. Well what comes out of her mouth is quite a bit different then what is going on in her head. You know the thoughts about full male lips and wide, broad shoulders....those thoughts. At fi ...more
Angie Elle
Jan 08, 2013 Angie Elle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I hate to simply gush in a review, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do much more than that in this one. This book was amazing.

I absolutely loved Jack. So many of his comments had me in stitches. And as with the first in this series, the background and camaraderie between the characters in these books is so intriguing.

(view spoiler)
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
I was surprised - I haven't enjoyed Heath's European historicals all that much although I loved her Westerns back in the day. Fortunately, listeners at our Romance Audiobooks Goodreads group recommended Between the Devil and Desire highly and I gave it a try. It was wonderful - loved the edgy hero. Susan Ericksen's narration was excellent as well. A definite relisten for me!
Brittany B.
Aug 25, 2012 Brittany B. rated it really liked it
Because I so adored book 1, this book was a disappointment. There was so much potential for a great story.
Unfortunately, the heroine is extremely prudish to the point of being downright unlikable, or at least beyond frustrating. The first book had such an outstanding heroine, and she outshined this heroine completely.
My other issue was the overuse of the devil references, especially in the bedroom... There were also a few purple prose phrases in the bedroom that had me rolling my eyes.

However,
Kat
May 02, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing
Jack's story didn't quite have the emotional impact that Luke's did....until the epilogue. That just about killed me. I didn't care much for Olivia until the middle of the book, but ended up really liking her. I liked Jack's relationship with her son. And I do love me a bad boy, so I couldn't help but love Jack!
nick
Aug 26, 2015 nick rated it liked it

3.5/5

OK so I loved the romance so much, but the twist at the end made me feel very icky about their whole relationship. It took away from my enjoyment of the novel, sadly.
Heath is a good writer though and I'll be reading the rest of the books in the series.
zHaNe
Oct 10, 2011 zHaNe rated it it was amazing
The second book of the series.

Jack Dodger is the owner of the famous and exclusive gambling house in London.
He was once the leader of a band of street urchins known as Feagan's lads. But a twist of fate carried them out of the streets and placed them among the nobility.

Jack was 5 years old when his mother sold him to a gentleman who later abused him sexually. He managed to escape the gent's house and landed among street urchins. He picked pockets and was never caught except that one time when he
sraxe
I've only read the first in the spin-off/sequel series, so I'm not sure if it can be said for the others, but this book you definitely have to read before When the Duke Was Wicked from the Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James. While reading, there was no mystery or surprise because I already knew the secret that kept the plot going. Maybe it's a good thing because I might've rated this book even higher if I hadn't known prior to going in.

That secret...oh man, even though I knew of the Lovingdon con
Isa Lavinia

actual rating: 3.5 stars

tw: child abuse, pedophilia

I just recently discovered Lorraine Heath and I LOVE her writing style and her characters!
They're all so practical, so devoid of needless drama, it's refreshing!

Let me start with what I loved about this story.
The characters were perfectly fleshed out, completely developed. They felt real, they acted like actual people, I was honestly rooting for them.

Very straightforward communication between the characters. There was no drama as you usually s
Chumchum_88
Loved Jack, and the touch of a single parent theme is melting ^^

- Jack was wonderful, of course I had my doubts about him since the first book, since no one seemed t trust him fully even the Feagan's Lads didn't except for Luke and we have see what that had turned into. However unlike the heroine I didn't base judgments n him from what I heard about him, I was just curious about him. I was slightly annoyed with the heroine till half way through the book, she was so judgmental ALWAYS thinking the
Becca
Jan 06, 2014 Becca rated it really liked it
The second installment in the Scoundrels of St. James series was even darker than the first, but still very compelling.

I read this one quickly, but did not enjoy it quite as much as In Bed with the Devil. The story and the mystery were intriguing, but I thought the romance was not as strong.

In this story, Jack Dodger, the gentlemen's club owner, inherits all of the unentailed properties of the late Duke of Lovingdon, including the home of Olivia, widowed Duchess of Lovingdon, and her five year o
Kajol
Jul 24, 2012 Kajol rated it really liked it
3.8 stars..

I'm greatly disappointed. To be fair, this book doesn't deserve more than 3 stars if you focus on the story, but I loved Jack, and everything that had to do with him including his past and his character- both of which were described stunnigly. It's only because of him that I give this book such a high rating, and I feel like I should reveal how disappointed and dejected I felt after reading this novel. I'd expected better from Lorraine Heath. But I'm still quite happy because she sc
Ally
Jun 21, 2015 Ally rated it did not like it
4 days (in all, 4.1 hours)! for a historical romance, and it wasn't like I was studying or doing anything constructive, meanwhile. the only thing I'm left thinking is, why did I even waste my 4 hours, when I knew what was going to happen exactly since Jack Dodger was named the beneficiary, and it was confirmed only a few pages later, when Ms Olivia told of how the Duke won't sleep with her after begetting the heir cause he'd always been in love with someone else. :/ seriously, am I the only one ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd Read: August 2014
Buddy read with Jo

1st read: 2013
SPOILER-Y Quote :D

Still, he couldn’t imagine his house without her in it. Couldn’t imagine not hearing the echo of her sharp steps as she strode through the hallways to confront him about one matter or another. Couldn’t imagine the scent of her perfume not wafting from her bedchamber into his via the dressing room, couldn’t imagine it not being on the pillow next to his. Couldn’t imagine silence at meals, laughter unheard, smiles unseen.
He, wh
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
  • One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3)
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • His at Night
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre, #1)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
More about Lorraine Heath...

Scoundrels of St. James (5 books)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)

“If I go to hell for this—”
“I’ll be there as well. I’ll dance with you,” he promised.”
11 likes