The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the Solar System

The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the Solar System

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Jack Prelutsky’s exploration of outer space is not for the faint of heart. No friendly little E.T.–type aliens await your arrival. There are many imaginative ways to perish in these darkly comedic cautionary verses about unexplored worlds so far beyond our solar system. The final poem is an environmental tour de force that packs a wallop. Here are poems the older reader wi...more
Published March 10th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Swamps of Sleethe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swamps of Sleethe

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonThe Collected Poems by W.B. YeatsThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
159th out of 226 books — 243 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex Telander
Jack Prelutsky has written ten anthologies of poetry and over forty “kid-friendly.” Long considered the “unofficial poet laureate of schoolkids”; in 2006 he was officially named the nation’s first Children’s Poet Laureate. In this collection, which Prelutsky attributes to his love of Star Trek, he takes you on a wild ride around an imaginary universe, showing you what the many different planets could be like. While essentially all of them seem to have some creature or some attribute that will ki...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a fantastic book of science fiction poems with terrific illustrations, which can be enjoyed equally by boys and girls. I’d recommend the book for 9 to 12 year olds, but these poems are fun for adults and children of other ages too. Kids who normally don’t appreciate poetry might very well enjoy these poems.

These poems take place in not so friendly worlds. They’re deliciously scary and very funny.

I love the “extras” including how the author has footnotes about how to pronounce the names...more
Sparrow Curiel
Kelly Maybedog
This one is even less original than the other book of his I reviewed "My Dog May Be a Genius." Same staid rhyming schemes, same not so funniness. Each poem is about a type of creature from some planet, not even different sorts of science fiction tales. Really ordinary.
Randie
Prelutsky, Jack (2009). The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems from Beyond the Solar System. J. Pickering. New York: Alfred A. Knopf (an imprint of Random House Children’s Books).

Literary Genre: Poetry (Picture Book)

This space themed collection of poetry will take you on a journey to undiscovered planets beyond our solar system. While the poems exhibit Jack Prelutsky’s humorous flair, the warning nature of poems are a little darker in tone than his other works to suit the maturity level of older student...more
Icats
This was the book I got at the Tattered Cover’s Book Lover’s Day celebration on 4/23. It caught my eye on their National Poetry Month display. My favorite book by Jack Prelutsky is The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep, but this one may be a close 2nd. The Swamps of Sleethe takes you on a poetic journey through a galaxy far from our own and one that you will soon find that you need to stay far away from.

On sweltering Sleethe, in swamps aseethe,
Malignant beings thr...more
Kyle Turck
is quite possibly my favorite book of children's poems that I have come across so far! Written by the poetic genius Jack Prelutsky, this book takes you on a journey across the "solar system", stopping to visit some planets that you just might not have heard of before. The only problem with that is that every planet and poem in the book is filled with creatures or other hazards that don't leave the visitors in such good shape!

This book is definitely geared towards boys, with each poem ending in...more
Allison
Prelutsky, Jack The Swamps of Sleethe, 40 pgs. Knopf Books for Young Readers; Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~PG

This newest collection of poetry from Jack Prelutsky screams to be read aloud especially to boys! It is full of ghastly planets that all have some creature waiting to participate in your demise or at least your transformation and imprisonment on their planet! In addition to clever readable poetry Prelutsky has also challenged readers to figure out the word puzzle that accompani...more
Megumi
This book was hilarious. It is perfect for children just starting to read poetry.
Tyler
Jul 10, 2011 Tyler added it
This book of poems takes the reader on a trip through many strange worlds and their stranger inhabitants. From the bugs of Gub to the demon birds of Lonithor, the cartoonish illustrations and simple rhyme schemes are sure to keep most children entertained, while setting their minds spinning on imaginary worlds all their own. Though the final poem in the book seems to spin off with a bit of an agenda, lamenting the environmental practices of earth, this collection is otherwise a jumble of harmles...more
Nicole
I came across this book in my search to find poetry anthologies that some of the boys in my sixth grade class would enjoy. If you're a teacher, these poems are great for reading aloud, and for introducing many different poetic devices. (Alliteration, personification, assonance, consonance, metaphor/simile, etc.) The poems also have great vocabulary and introduce kids to new words in ways that make them want to go look them up in the dictionary.
Renee Bush
This is the perfect book for the space enthusiast, but what is even cooler, this book will pull in the child who has never really thought about space before! the poems are hilarious, and the illustrations, Mr. Pickering, are out-of-this world! (I know; bad pun)

I am always looking for a way to entice the child who turns up his nose at poetry to "just try it"; this book will help IMMENSELY!
Erin
Poems about the dangers of visiting outer space. One review I read recommended it for the budding sci fi fan. Full of dark humor and anagrams. More appropriate for older elementary and possibly middle school kids. Might do for a lesson on anagrams. Really great illustrations. The final poem adds our own planet to the dangerous places of the universe that a traveler might choose to avoid.
Sandy
This book a poems takes you on a journey beyond our solar system. Jack Prelutsky introduces you to different planets and different creatures, the ones that will kill you! This is a good read aloud for 4th to 5th graders. The illustrations are colorful and lend an image to what Jack Prelutsky is trying to create in his poetry.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this book! Science fiction poems, great stuff. Prelutsky has a way with words. Jimmy Pickering's illustrations are perfect for the subject. I think "The Beholder in Silence" was the eeriest poem. I just love his imagination. I must order a copy of this book for my library!
Katharine
Each poem is about an imaginary planet, that is freezing, full of poisonous plants, creatures that want to eat humans by turning them into powdered seasoning, and many others. The rhymes were fun to read, my 7 year old enjoyed the silliness.
Tricia
Creepy poems about unknown planets within the solar system...dark yet humorous. Wasn't really my thing but for boys who like space stuff and have to read some poetry, this may be their ticket.
Ch_wesley Miller
These imaginative poems propels you into a galaxy of unexplored planets beyond our solar system. Tread carefully though because there are goofy slimey creatures waiting to pounce.
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
The poems were fun. The anagrams in the titles were fun to figure out. My biggest draw was the illustrations. I loved them! They really made the poems come alive.
Siobhan Ryan
An engaging read-aloud for a class doing a solar system unit.
Marie
Poetry boys will like to read.
Jesika La Bryer