Start by marking “The Calla Handbook: Implementing the Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The CALLA Handbook is an indispensable resource for all teachers who are responsible for teaching core curriculum subjects to language minority students in ESL or mainstream classrooms, at-risk students, and all students in bilingual and foreign language classrooms.
Published June 1st 1993 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Calla Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calla Handbook

Anna
Apr 19, 2009 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ESL teachers, content area teachers
It took me a while to warm up to this book but in the end I loved it and strongly recommend it to anyone who teaches English Language Learners (ELLs) in pretty much any context. I think there's a lot in this book that's of value and can help you be a better teacher. I especially liked Chapters 9-12, which outlined CALLA for specific content areas.

I agree with the one reviewer who said that no single thing in here is "groundbreaking" per se -- however, looking at CALLA as a whole I think it is a...more
Raminj4u7gmail.com
Meant to assist teachers dealing with second language learners. None of the suggestions featured here are particularly helpful or ground-breaking. I firmly believe intuition trumps most of the formulated strategies presented here.
Kristine
May 05, 2014 Kristine added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristine by: ACT
Shelves: education, abandoned
abandoned
Guadalupe
Guadalupe marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Mingshu Yang
Mingshu Yang marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Nathaly Tamez
Nathaly Tamez marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Paulo Etchegaray
Paulo Etchegaray marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Feriderieks Holeng
Feriderieks Holeng marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Lovianda
Lovianda marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Tammy Boston
Tammy Boston marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Huyền Chis
Huyền Chis marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Carlos
Carlos is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2013
Ala Najmadin
Ala Najmadin marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Zakaia Cvitanovich
Zakaia Cvitanovich marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Samudi Samhudi
Samudi Samhudi marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Longman Keystone B Intercom 2000, Grades 8-12 Longman Keystone C Shining Star Level A Student Book, paper Longman Cornerstone, Level B: Practice Book