Start by marking “In the Night Garden” as Want to Read:
In the Night Garden

In the Night Garden

Late one evening, three little girls prowl, growl, and let their imaginations soar.

One is a bear with sharp, white teeth;
One is a whale, steady and strong;
One is a sled dog, sleek and lean.

Barbara Joosse’s exciting nighttime tale is perfectly enhanced by Elizabeth Sayles’s full-color illustrations.
Published September 2nd 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about In the Night Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Night Garden

Feb 22, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Three little girls, each pretending to be a different animal, spend some time playing in the night garden and then prepare for bed. Joose's text is lyrical and poetic and I like that she didn't try to force it into a rhyme scheme, but instead left the words loose and free. Elizabeth Sayles' illustrations, done in acrylics and pastels, are dreamy and soft. Dominated by blues, the illustrations effectively evoke twilight and night but still retain a sense of playfulness. The integration of the ani ...more
Danielle
Girls pretending to be a dog, a bear, and a whale in a garden at night and then while getting ready for bed. It is a bit strange but it does feature a diverse group of girls and shows them not being princesses.
Traci Bold
Jun 27, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Everyone is different in their own way. In this picture book by Barbara Joosse, three girls get ready for bed and their nighttime dreaming adventures in their own way.

Interesting story and beautiful illustrations.

Published by Henry Holt & Company.

#bedtime #dreams
Denise
Sep 29, 2008 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think the illustrations are lovely, each girl is mirrored by the animal she pretends to be. I think this would be better read one-on-one rather than during storytime. I do think this makes for an imaginative bedtime story.
Megan
Aug 24, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Three girls pretend to be different animals as they play and get ready for bed. Lyrical text and soft pictures make this a great bedtime story.
Sherry
Three young girls use their imaginations to become other animals and to fly "In the Night Garden" (2008). A bedtime story young grade-schoolers will enjoy.
Roy
May 17, 2009 Roy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-children
The illustrations in this darling book about imagination and friendship are wonderful, and its gentle prose is perfect for winding down to go to sleep.
Isabelle Zierenberg
Isabelle Zierenberg rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2009
Heather Russon
Heather Russon rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Yana D.
Yana D. rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Larry
Larry rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2009
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Storytime Elizabeth
Storytime Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Erroll Treslan
Erroll Treslan rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2009
Jackson
Jackson rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Sharon Allen
Sharon Allen rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
None
None rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2009
Zulaika
Zulaika rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Zinnia Garay
Zinnia Garay rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2012
Christine Turner
Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2009
Heila
Heila rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Torrey
Torrey rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2009
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
"animals, pretending at bedtime"
Kirsti Call
Kirsti Call rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Kiralibris
Kiralibris rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Barbara Joosse has written many books for children. Among them are Mama, Do You Love Me?, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee; and I Love You the Purplest, illustrated by Mary Whyte. She says, "When I was a little girl, I wished for two things — a best friend, and something so ferocious it would scare away the monsters under my bed. And so I have written Lovabye Dragon. I think maybe it’s for little m ...more
More about Barbara Joosse...