Start by marking “Captured!: A Boy Trapped in the Civil War” as Want to Read:
Captured!: A Boy Trapped in the Civil War

Captured!: A Boy Trapped in the Civil War

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Johnny Ables left his farm one morning in early 1862 to gather wood, riding into danger and adventure he could never have imagined. A desperate group of Confederate soldiers kidnapped Johnny for his horses and wagon. Forced into battle at Fort Donelson, Johnny endured cannon fire and hand-to-hand combat and was stranded freezing, alone, and dazed among wo ...more
Published September 15th 2005 by Indiana Historical Society (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Captured!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captured!

Haley Whitehall
Based on a true story, and full of relevant historical photographs, this book fails to deliver on action in many ways. I do not think it will hold the interest of the 9-12 year old target audience.

Captured! Tells the story of a 14 year old farm boy boy named Johnny Ables. His father has died and he has to act as the man of the family. While doing chores he was captured by Confederate soldiers and pressed into service as a wood hauler. Ironically, those Confederate soldiers are themselves taken p
Anna
I am so upset I wasted two hours on this. Most younger readers will not find this interesting as you can barely feel or care about the characters, but the age range is approximately 9-13. Most readers who do find Johnny's story somewhat interesting would probably prefer a five-paragraph synopsis of his life, and that be it. However Immel gives you a 150-page book.

It does not have an ending, as it is a fictionalized biography and the author does not know what happened to Johnny. Well, if I wante
Dale
Based on a true story, and full of relevant historical photographs, this book fails to deliver on action in many ways which will make it less attractive to the 10-14 year old (estimated) target audience..

It concerns a 14 year old boy named Johnny Ables who was captured by Confederate soldiers and pressed into service as a wood hauler. Ironically, those Confederate soldiers are themselves taken prisoner and Johnny is mistaken as a young Confederate soldier and is sent to prison camp (Camp Morton)
Tiernan
This is a true story about a young boy, named Johnny, that was captured by Confederate soldiers to cut wood for their journey. Johnny’s adventure only starts when he is captured by the soldiers and gets even crazier when they arrive in the war. Both Johnny and the regiment he was with went through many events, such as being taken hostage by Union soldiers. When taken prisoner he endures a long agonizing journey on foot and by boat. Being a young boy making this hard voyage he isn’t able to keep ...more
Sisters Mary-of-the-Woods
Mar 31, 2010 Sisters Mary-of-the-Woods rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Junior high school teachers; 8th grade students; parents who homeschool; 4th grade students
Shelves: woodsup-history
This is the story of a 14-year-old boy from Calloway County, Kentucky, who was captured by Confederate soldiers. In the winter of 1862, Johnny Ables was out with the family’s horses and wagon gathering wood. Confederate soldiers, in great need of horses and wagons, forced Johnny to join them. This book tells the story of Johnny’s relationship with his captors. It also tells about Johnny’s experience in the battle at Fort Donelson, Tennessee, in February 1862 and of his eventual imprisonment at C ...more
Margaret
February 2012 ** This interesting chapter-book renews the question of, "What genre is it?" I was initially drawn to it because I live in a neighborhood now known as Herron-Morton, and my home rests on ground once occupied by Camp Morton's guards. Also, as a fourth grade teacher, my students study Indiana's history, and I knew several would be interested in the fictionalized experiences of this boy who was just a few years older than they.

Immel came to write Captured! A Boy Trapped in the Civil W
Jan 18, 2013 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes historical fiction
Captured!
A Boy Trapped in the Civil War by Mary Blair Immel is based on an actual boy named Johnny Ables. Johnny lived during the Civil War and was captured by the Red Invincibles who fought for the Confederates. Johnny was only fourteen years old when he was captured. This was probably quite a shock to a boy who was only gathering wood for his family's farm when the confederates came upon him. While leaving his sisters and his mother it must have been terrifying.

I found this book enjoyable to
James C
In the book Captured A Boy Trapped In The Civil War by Mary Blair Immel A simple farm boy goes on a journey that changes him the book starts at a boy named Johnny Albes who lives in Calloway Country, Kentucky who is kidnapped by Confederate soldiers when he is chopping wood. I think that the message of this book could be never give up because during the entire book Johnny wanted to go home and he gets his wish.
I feel strongly for the man character Johnny because he was taken from his home with
Vince Mobilio
this book ewas very good. there were times that you felt bad for the main character. bu overall it was very good and had alot of action moments. there are times were you are waiting to find out what happens to the kid named johnny, and it just bores you with facts leading up to the anwser. overall it was a very good book.
Deborah
I love HISTORY! This little book on the true story of a boy who was kidnapped during the Civil War...was one more added piece to the vast stories during this terrible part of our history...I was so touched by the HUMANITY that was done in this boy's behalf...Just wish...we KNEW..."the rest of the story"...
Kit
Loved this quick read and it's ties to Indiana, my home state. I thought it was told with great emotion and wonderful detail - so many of the things the author describes I felt like I was actually seeing. Very interesting story.
Carol
Seeing the movie, "Lincoln" created some curiosity in me about him and the Civil War. I picked up this small book at a sale. It would be a good book for middle schoolers to read and discuss.
Kaitlyn Lintz
Kaitlyn Lintz marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Sherry
Sherry added it
Sep 01, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ryan Ball
Ryan Ball marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
No Longer Sings the Brown Thrush Call up the Thunder IN HASTE, GRACE: Letters of a Victorian School Girl In Haste, Grace: Letters of a Victorian School Girl River of wind