Start by marking “Indian Summer” as Want to Read:
Indian Summer

Indian Summer

In the spring of 1739, Gabriella Deza stands poised on the verge of womanhood. A product of her guarded upbringing, she is naive in the ways of love until dashing Manuel Enriques declares his love for her. By accident, Gabriella uncovers the plot of British spy. Manuel embarks on a dangerous mission save the town from being overthrown by the British. Gabriella herself is ...more
Published December 22nd 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published August 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Indian Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indian Summer

Tim Greaton
Sep 27, 2011 Tim Greaton rated it it was amazing
An historical Romance seething with love, jealousy and danger…

Dellani Oakes has crafted not only a touching period romance, she has also beautifully illustrated the cultures and environs that comprised and surrounded St. Augustine, Florida in 1739.

Fifteen-year-old Gabriella is a beautiful young daughter to the Governor of the Spanish Township of St. Augustine. Along with her young brother and two sisters, Bella is comfortably ensconced in childish fancies and romantic flights of imagination, un
Barbara Ehrentreu
Mar 16, 2010 Barbara Ehrentreu rated it it was amazing
I knew Dellani as a friend from Facebook so when I was asked to read her book so I could comment on it I didn't hesitate. At the time I needed something to whisk me away from my real life which was difficult and it accomplished this and more. From the moment I started reading I felt like an observer in 1739. The story is set in St. Augustine, Florida during the time when there were still forts and danger from the local tribes of native Americans.Gabriella, the youngest of her sisters at ...more
Sheila
A historical romantic adventure set in a nicely different time and place, Dellani Oakes’ Indian Summer tells of the Spanish governor’s family in St. Augustine, Florida, enjoying high society while still treating the common people with sensible care. But the British are coming with plans to change the world.

Intriguing details of Indian tribes, British spies, history and politics feed very naturally into this young adult romance as teenager Bella wonders what the future will bring to her. About to
Marta Moran Bishop
Apr 10, 2011 Marta Moran Bishop rated it it was amazing
A tale that holds surprises for the reader in every page, Dellani Oakes tells a masterful romantic tale of a young girl growing up in Saint Augustine. Gabriella is a spunky beautiful young lady who holds a special brand of humor, honor and the ability to draw adventure.
Indian Summer is full of surprises of adventure, betrayal, love won and lost. Her characters are rich with a depth that is seldom found in romance novels. It leaves the reader wanting to know more and looking forward to a sequel.
Norm Brown
Mar 22, 2009 Norm Brown rated it it was amazing
Indian Summer by Dellani Oakes is the first historical romance novel I've ever read. In fact, it's the only romance novel of any kind I've ever read. That being said, I enjoyed reading it. The story is set in an interesting period in early colonial Florida. I think Dellani did a particularly good job of subtly capturing the more formal way people spoke and acted at the time, without getting caught up in using a lot of distracting dialect in the dialogue. As far as the romance side of things, ...more
Mickey Hoffman
Jan 07, 2010 Mickey Hoffman rated it it was amazing
This book is out of my reading genre but I enjoyed it. Perhaps this is because it is a historical romance and I love history. I learned quite a bit about life in Spanish Florida, especially about the Native Americans who lived there. The main character in this book is an adolescent female and she's got a mind of her own. She also has a good sense of humor. I think those elements added to the story.
Second Wind Publishing
A unique regency novel of a girl’s coming-of-age. The Spanish call it “quinceanera” a girl's 15th birthday. Gabriella Deza, innocent daughter of a nobleman in 1739
St. Augustine, Florida, finds herself caught up in international intrigue and romance far beyond her years.
L.V.
Jul 05, 2012 L.V. rated it liked it

Indian Summer, by Dellani Oakes, is a story that would appeal to the younger romance readers. It draws the reader into a world of the past that is not much different emotionally to the world of today. The suspense of the events surrounding the heroine draws you on through a plot that is not over-complicated and is an easy read.

Our story is set in the town of St. Augustine, Florida, which is under attack by the British.

It begins on February 15, 1739. Our heroine Gabriella Deza is a young girl of
Karen
INDIAN SUMMER
It is 1739 in pre-revolutionary America. Gabriella Deza is only fifteen years old but is about to be swept in to the world of romance and intrigue. It covers all the societal norms of the times and the political climate including spies and espionage. Indian summer is a whirl wind ride and adventure at every page turn. Gabriella is caught between two men at the turning point of American history.
All this is brought together by Dellani Oakes, a consummate author of romance, sci fi ,
Dellani Oakes
Feb 17, 2009 Dellani Oakes rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Dellani by: No one, I wrote it
Gabriella Deza is an unlikely heroine. As the pampered daughter of Florida's territorial governor, she has known nothing but a good life.

By a series of circumstances, Gabriella finds herself embroiled in intrigue as she and her fiance, Manuel, track a British spy. The spy is determined to overtake the Castillo de San Marcos and occupy the city with British troops. Manuel lays a trap for the spy, but Gabriella herself is caught in it.

Suzette Vaughn
Mar 11, 2009 Suzette Vaughn marked it as to-read
should be in a box to me soon
Peggy Holloway
Peggy Holloway rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Brenna
Brenna rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
J.D. Holiday
J.D. Holiday rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
Rachel Rueben
Rachel Rueben rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Ethel
Ethel rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2014
Miranda Flintoft
Miranda Flintoft rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Laura Slaughter
Laura Slaughter rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2014
Marta Moran Bishop
Marta Moran Bishop rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2011
Thais
Mar 05, 2011 Thais added it
Awesome!!!!1
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Lazarus Barnhill
Lazarus Barnhill rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2011
Peter Shortland
Peter Shortland rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Pat Bertram
Pat Bertram marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2011
Amy DeTrempe
Amy DeTrempe marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2009
Christine Husom
Christine Husom marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2009
Sherrie Hansen
Sherrie Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2009
Claire Collins
Claire Collins is currently reading it
May 05, 2009
Sherron
Sherron marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2010
Kethnie
Kethnie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2012
Erin Al-Mehairi
Erin Al-Mehairi marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Rodney
Rodney marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Kate Robbins
Kate Robbins marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Squig.....
Squig..... marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Ewa Eve
Ewa Eve marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Sally Ember
Sally Ember marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Mar 03, 2014
April Kelly
April Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Nomz
Nomz marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Anna Edlund
Anna Edlund marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Second Wind Publi...: * Book Discussion -- INDIAN SUMMER by Dellani Oakes 1 1 Mar 02, 2013 08:32PM
2013144
Dellani Oakes is a former A.P. English teacher, photo-journalist. She's a published author who avidly reads & reviews the work of others. She hosts two shows on Blog Talk Radio for the Red River Radio Network – Dellani's Tea Time and What's Write for me.

You can join Dellani as she interviews different authors the second Monday @ 4:00 PM Eastern and fourth Wednesday @ 3:00 PM Eastern of each mo
More about Dellani Oakes...