Start by marking “My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan” as Want to Read:
My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan

My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The former First Lady discusses her life, the Reagan administration, her shaky relationship with her children and key White House personnel, her husband's involvement in the Iran-Contra affair, and her bout with cancer.
Published October 18th 1989 by Random House (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about My Turn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Turn

Janna Scott
Jan 18, 2016 Janna Scott rated it really liked it
This is a very fast read, and worth it particularly for the perspective it provides on nancy reagan's white house years. There are some novel revelations about the people and the guiding principles that shaped domestic and international policy in the 80s. Largely, however, mrs reagan uses the device of "memoirs" to rebut all the erroneous information reported about her during her 8 years in washington. It is also used to alternately praise and admonish her children with whom it seems she is not ...more
Audrey Saltarelli
Jul 05, 2014 Audrey Saltarelli rated it did not like it
Wow did not think it was possible for an autobiography to make me like someone less.
Sean Dunn
May 11, 2014 Sean Dunn rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Yes, it was terrible and filled with lies. What I do realize from reading this book was Ronnie was a pretty much a white knight, staring down evil and vanquishing foes. He never played any political game, and always acted and responded honorably when someone was playing unfair. She literally talked about how on the cloudy inauguration day, the skies parted and the sun shone upon Reagan for the duration of his swearing in, then went back to being cloudy! For both his Governorship and 1st Presiden ...more
Christopher
Jan 05, 2016 Christopher rated it liked it
This memoir is on Nancy Reagan who is a former first lady of the United States, the widow of former President Ronald Reagan. I really liked this book because of how detailed it is on the lives of Nancy and Ronald Reagan while they were still the first family. I also liked it because of the vivid language that is used which at times made me feel as if I were Nancy dealing with all the stress that come with such a job. Unfortunately, I disliked the fact that Nancy tried to always put the blame on ...more
Jenndietzel0606
May 01, 2012 Jenndietzel0606 rated it it was amazing
I have read and re-read this book. Im certain I love the historical reference as much, if not more than I love her account of life with the President.
Sandra
Mar 11, 2008 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Nancy is a great study. She always was in support of children learning to read. Gotta love a women who cares about children :)
Rachel
Sep 16, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
A little defensive at times; but I love the Reagan's and hearing Nancy's "turn" was enlightening. A true love story.
Heather
Oct 22, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
The media was not fair to this remarkable woman.
Melanie Miranda
Jul 09, 2012 Melanie Miranda rated it it was ok
Too self promoting.
Decop
May 22, 2014 Decop rated it liked it
this was a little like reading Stephen King's book on the JFK assasination (nov '63 but the date?) it looks at personalities and how they mesh to create the big events of the times. She rightfully sees herself as a minor player, but her observations are keen, and her loyalties are genuine. I would like living next door to Nancy Reagan.
Joan green
Apr 07, 2015 Joan green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most interesting .

Fascinating details of the presidency, life in and out of the white house and all the political personalities. Quite a remarkable history of President Ronald and Nancy Reagan.
Joshua Berkov
Sep 25, 2014 Joshua Berkov rated it really liked it
I've always wanted to learn more about the Reagans, as they were the first president/first-lady of my lifetime. Perhaps Nancy Reagan really isn't the dragon lady that so many people thought she was.
Kim
Aug 31, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim by: Rocky J Adkins Public Library
this is about Nancy Reagan. she tells about the time while she lived at the WHITE HOUSE.
Sep 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Oddly compelling.
Rachel
Jun 21, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a huge fan of President Reagan. I would rate this book 3.5 stars. I admire Nancy Reagan, but at times the book was a bit "defensive". The sections on the Election/Asassination Attempt and the Gorbachevs were by far my favorite. Very enlightening.
Julie
Mar 02, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
I think this would have been better if I was older to appreciate what President Reagan did for our country. I was born in the late 70s, so a lot of his presidency I wasn't very old. :) But even so, Nancy's book paints a beautiful picture of what happened.
Pat Lampe
Oct 27, 2011 Pat Lampe rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book written shortly after Reagan left office. Nancy was a woman who loved her husband first and foremost. She was frank about her children, friends, life in the White House. I think she tried her best in her life.
John
Jun 28, 2013 John rated it liked it
Shelves: own
After reading Kitty Kelly's terrible book full of unfounded gossip as she always does to increase sales. I was happy to read the other side and I think Nancy did a good job of explaining some of the misconceptions. easy read
Tracy Parker
Sep 14, 2010 Tracy Parker rated it really liked it
I believe this is the 1st Bio I actually finished. Nancy seems to be a genuine person, only thing I didn't like was the astrology issue.
Jill Barton
Feb 05, 2015 Jill Barton rated it really liked it
Read this book many years ago. Love Nancy Reagans candor in this memoir.
Laura Lee
Jun 27, 2012 Laura Lee rated it liked it
I was surprised, liked the book. Skimmed some of it, though.
Kathryn
This book was ok, interesting from a historical point of view.
Beth
Mar 21, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
love this book. Read it when it first came out.
Sherri Gore
Sherri Gore marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
BoddaH C.
BoddaH C. marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Janet Reischling
Janet Reischling rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Rita
Rita is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Marsha Crenwelge
Marsha Crenwelge marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Gotta Catch
Gotta Catch marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • An American Life
  • Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography
  • God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life
  • Christmas in Plains: Memories
  • The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners
  • The Rebellion of Ronald Reagan: A History of the End of the Cold War
  • What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era
Nancy Davis Reagan was born Anne Frances Robbins. She was an American actress and the wife of the 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan. She was the First Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989.
More about Nancy Reagan...