Start by marking “Library And Information Center Management (Library And Information Science Text Series)” as Want to Read:

This internationally acclaimed text serves as the basic management text in programs of library and information studies throughout the world. It is also used as a ready-reference and for workshop discussions in all types of libraries and information centers. As with previous editions, the authors present the principles of library and information center management in a conce ...more
Hardcover, Fifth Edition, 538 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Libraries Unlimited (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Library And Information Center Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library And Information Center Management

Oct 27, 2007 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-text
Textbook for Library management class. Useful, but not recommended unless one has a class to attend.
Feb 15, 2008 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to start this review by saying that I'm going to talk about why this book was really redundant and awful and I didn't learn anything. First, it was really redundant and repeated itself. Second, it said the same thing over and over and I didn't learn anything. Last, it was pretty pitiful and it makes me wonder if maybe more librarians need to write textbooks to weed out all the other librarians who can't write but somehow get a contract to write one anyway. I'll conclude by saying that, ...more
Jun 25, 2008 Venessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone managing or being managed in libraries
Read for my management class; much better than the last textbook I read, which I felt was written for a two year old. This one actually had good advice and spoke to me like the adult that I am!
Dec 19, 2008 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a fat book. Again, not the most exciting of subjects; however, it is great for people who know nothing of library management. It is also good for people who just haven't done any studying on management in general.

There is a lot of text in the book that seems to be there just for entertainment value. Aside from that, I think this book serves its intended purpose, and not just the purpose to bore me to the point of wanting to jump in front of a bus. Though, it does that too!
Laura Francabandera
Somewhat review - all about what makes a good manager and leadership and teambuilding and things like that. Makes for an easy class.
Apr 26, 2009 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really did read this book cover to cover. Well, I ran my eyes over the pages, anyway. What I discovered is that there will be one sentence in each paragraph that is informative. The rest of the sentences repeat that sentence in various formats, over and over, or offer vague examples. I bet if I had a background in management this book wouldn't have been so sleep-inducing... it's like a brief whirlwind through management concepts and theories. Too much information, so it just touches on everyth ...more
Very theoretical and academic. It is hard understanding some of their concepts. However, if the reader blocks out the fact that the text looks at library management, one can see that it draws heavily on Peter Drucker and Henry Mintzberg.
Aug 02, 2009 Sheri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-school
worst. textbook. ever. I can't believe that someone actually was paid to write/compile this textbook and that Libraries Unlimited can, in good conscience, charge $50 for it. So thankful a friend passed it along to me for free & I just owe her a nice dinner for it or else I would be pissed at having wasted money as a poor graduate student. To illustrate my point, just take a peek at Figures 8.4 & 9.1. If I can bear to peruse the book again I'll add some of the pointless text later.
Nov 09, 2009 Catfish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As is the problem with many textbooks, this book explains its subject well, just not in an interesting fashion. Admittedly, many writers would have trouble making an explanation of budgeting processes (just to choose a topic) fascinating. I do want to give the authors credit for understanding their audience. At the end of the book, they talk about how most library science students don't intend on becoming managers and that many of them have really negative feelings about managing. (They figure s ...more
Dec 04, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
One of the worst textbooks I have ever read. The book suffers from either poor proofreading or poor editing or both. Highly unrecommended. I'll give it two stars because there were a few chapters I didn't completely hate.
Jan 25, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Some of it was new information, a lot of it was common sense. A bit unorganized and repetitive, feel relieved now that I've turned it back in. big print. I confess to skimming some of it.
2.9 Stars. Not bad, not great. Some parts interesting, some parts really boring.
Nov 27, 2011 Cathleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Exasperating and painful. Rambling, redundant, unedited (in both senses), and uninspiring. The use of partial case studies to be continued online (with incorrect URLs) is especially egregious.
Lila Brantley
This isn't the worst text book I've ever read, but it wasn't the best either. It used everyday language to explain management concepts that often seemed common sense. It didn't go in to much detail about aspects that seem important. I mean, this is a graduate class for jeeze sake!
Aug 04, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is very difficult for me to feel I have learned from a book when the editors could not bother to double-check the basics : spelling, punctuation, and verb tense. This textbook could have helped me if it hadn't distracted me with its bad grammar.
Dec 07, 2012 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks

This book is not as terrible as many of these reviews make it out to be. I find it to be written at a high school level and it appears to have been written assuming the reader has never, ever been in the workforce. It is repetitive and simplistic, but there is quality information to be had here.
Joey H.
Nov 19, 2012 Joey H. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 0 stars if I could. Perhaps I am speaking from a point of bias because I have a working knowledge of library management issues due to my employment history, but this book was terribly useless. The level of information covered is so basic that it borders on common sense. If that were not enough, that basic level of information is repeatedly and needlessly rehashed, leading to 73-page treatises on the dynamics of teams and workgroups in which pages 2-73 do not say anything substa ...more
Nov 11, 2012 Carol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarianship
This was the textbook for my Library Management class, and the book completely sucked. It's poorly written and clearly did not get the benefit of any real editing, which is surprising considering that it's the seventh edition. In one chapter, the authors mentioned adhering to an employee's "preferred preferences" for something or other. And then there was the chapter that was over thirty pages long yet managed to say just about nothing. The only things that made using this book bearable were the ...more
May 07, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of typos. Lots of repetition. But the chapters are quick, easy reads. A good 101 book, but it just brushes the surface of everything. If this is a topic you're interested in, it will leave you wanting more. For me just trying to get through the class, it was a good read.
Ariel Dagan
Aug 15, 2013 Ariel Dagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Management
Recommended to Ariel by: Cheryl McCarthy
Anyone who thinks librarians or for that case any person working in a non profit organization has an easy day, think again. This book clearly addresses significant issues raised by and dealt with organization that are in constant flux and change.
Highly recommended for any person involved in management of non profits.
Jun 18, 2015 CluckingBell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
Simplistic, redundant, and often cringe-worthy. Read this excerpt on motivation and decide for yourself:

"No reinforcement leads to the extinction of a behavior. Skinner's model posits that when a behavior is not reinforced in one way or another, it will decrease in frequency and then stop. For example, if a manager neither praises nor criticizes the worker who yells across the room to get his attention, that unwanted behavior is not being reinforced and should eventually cease."

Yeah, that's how
Let's be fair. This book was read for a Library Management and Administration class, so odds are that unless you are really interested in this topic, you would find a textbook of the same material dull. This book had some varying strengths ad weaknesses. For instance, it explained many points thoroughly, but it also could have been about half its current size if it had focused more on the actual information one needed/wanted to know rather than rambling on and harping on various points. Also, a ...more
Dec 16, 2013 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a useful and comprehensive introduction to management (and leadership) within a library context. However, it's rather wordy; sometimes the authors repeat themselves unnecessarily.
Jan 02, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LIS graduate students interested in library management, library managers
As a disclaimer, I'm a graduate student pursuing a Master's in Library Information Science, specifically in Informatics. My forte is web development, graphic design, social media, and usability. The class for which I read this textbook was required.

That said, while I find the topic of library administration outside my interest and more than a little boring, the class itself was well instructed and engaging, and I learned much with which I could align to my day job as a library web master. This p
Tayler K

18 articles: 253 pages

Read: 471 pages
Ch 1-2, 4-11, 13-15, 18-20: 344 pages
16 articles: 127 pages
I reviewed some of the material in the book, read most of it, and scanned through pages (highlighted some areas and very few pages were already highlighted with the used copy my father purchased for me). I really wanted to focus on library trends, but didn't really touch on the subject except giving other titles to read. I also wanted to read about staffing and what it is like for management since I have been getting library jobs interviews, but wondering what are they looking for. I know it has ...more
A cut-and-dried textbook of theory with limited practical applications. Stueart offers some critical examination of historical library management and interesting ideas for organizing libraries in the future. However, the exploration of these ideas are never fully realized and the book leaves much to be desired.
Jul 02, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-science
I had a chance to compare two editions- the sixth and eighth, and found that the eighth was significantly superior. The addition of another author, Morner, to the first two made a big difference in readability.
Sep 26, 2016 Jenn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
An interesting textbook, but I still wouldn't be reading it if I didn't have to for school. Better than Information Literacy Instruction: Theory and Practice, which I am also reading this semester.
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Developing Library and Information Center Collections
  • The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior (Library and Information Science)
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Arranging & Describing Archives & Manuscripts
  • The Practice of Social Research
  • Basic Research Methods for Librarians (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Database Systems: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community
  • The Black Belt Librarian: Real-World Safety & Security
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization
  • Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
  • Libraries in the Ancient World