Start by marking “The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!” as Want to Read:
The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!

The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,009 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Get tempted by an inspiring array of vegan recipes from the authors of How It All Vegan!

When How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet was published in 1999, authors Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer were hailed for their fun and outlandish approach to vegan cooking, taking it out of the realm of the staid and the boring to create truly original animal-f
Published April 1st 2003 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about The Garden of Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garden of Vegan

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
241 books — 335 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
1,038 books — 1,001 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
Jun 15, 2010 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, 2010
I have to say--I didn't love it. Barely liked it. I admired the simplicity of the recipes. The Veganomicon is my favorite vegan cookbook right now, and probably for a long time to come, but it is by most standards gourmet. Even the recipes they say take under 45 minutes most certainly don't. By contrast, The Garden of Vegan recipes are almost ridiculously simple. I do appreciate the microwave section. Although I no longer use the microwave for more than 75% of my food preparation, there are folk ...more
J
Jan 23, 2008 J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: veg-cookbooks
It is rare that I don't go to this cookbook at least once a week. I have served the Tofu Chimichangas recipe to who knows how many people now and I can't think of anyone who didn't like it. A lot of other recipes (Marc's Magnificent Noodles, Dragon Bowl, etc.) are also major staples for me. I can't vouch for the breakfast or baking sections since I don't do too much of that (besides the juicer recipes - those are good) but the appetizers and main courses in here are right on. Highly recommended.
Grape
Mar 27, 2012 Grape rated it it was ok
In most of Sarah Kramer's book, I've had hit or miss recipes. There is one in her series of books that I love and have used many times (with some changes). It's a meatloaf that I can't remember the name of, but it was named after the cow that jumped over a fence to escape being slaughered. Otherwise, I have ran into some strange end results with enough of these recipes to decide that I didn't want to risk trying any more of them.
Grace
Jun 10, 2007 Grace rated it liked it
Shelves: vegan
I only really use this for the microwave cooking section--it has some really helpful ideas for if you don't have access to a full kitchen. The curried chickpea potato soup is probably my favorite recipe from it.
Shannon
Jul 30, 2007 Shannon rated it really liked it
Loving butter and wool like I do, I will probably never fully embrace veganism. But who doesn't want to eat healthier and cut down on fat? I have been particularly inspired by my father in law, who had by-pass surgery and had to adopt a diet with very little fat. A lot of people would complain, but he has embraced his new diet with astonishingly good-natured enthusiasm. So I decided to try this cookbook. The authors are funny and sensible and make Canada seem really cool. So far four recipes fro ...more
Tim
Jan 24, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
I don't use many of the recipes in this book (partly because I have some dietary restrictions that prevent it), the ones I do use, I use regularly and love.

The carrot-ginger soup recipe in here is one I eat almost weekly. Plus, it was such a hit at a dinner party I had one of my friends made it for a dinner party he had.

I regularly make the berry muffin recipe in this book and it's excellent (although I substitute a different berry for the blueberries).

I highly recommend this book to anybody i
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I enjoyed this cookbook and feel it helped broaden my view of vegan eating. I borrowed this cookbook from the library and am actually putting it on my book wishlist to acquire. I think the book would be a handy reference for me when my vegan friends are going to visit (or I want to surprise them with a treat or scrapbooked recipe) and also when I am looking to try something different or make a more healthier than our normal meal.
Sheila
Feb 11, 2008 Sheila rated it it was ok
Shelves: good-eats
The history of the authors makes you want to be their friends and hang out in the kitchen with them, but the layout and font makes the book difficult to read. I have yet to try any of the recipes in this book because I've found that many of them are heavy on soy and sugar. Two ingredients I try to avoid.
Sue
Jan 29, 2009 Sue added it
So far I really like this book. The authors are fun and share interesting stories. I've tried a number of the recipes and like them. I got this from he library. My husband would prefer I not buy another cookbook, but he keeps liking the recipes I'm making from it.

I'm not vegan, not even vegetarian, but I like to try cookbooks like these to expand my horizons.
AJ LeBlanc
Nov 19, 2008 AJ LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Tanya Barnard, Sarah Kramer & Isa Chandra Moskowitz are goddesses who I discovered the summer I went vegan.

I'd like to get back to being a vegetarian and stay mainly vegan, and these books will once again rule my world.

Even if you're a hardcore meat-eater, there are recipes here that you will love.
Kate
Jan 15, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
LOVE this cookbook! I checked it out from the library along with How it all Vegan. I immediately went to the bookstore & purchased a copy of each book. Definitely good to have these stored in the arsenal.
CA
May 09, 2008 CA rated it it was amazing
I like all three Kramer vegan cookbooks, but THIS ONE is one of my favorites! If you know someone wanting to become vegan, but is afraid the food might be boring, THEN BUY THEM THIS COOKBOOK!

CAConrad
Gale Spencer
Jan 06, 2014 Gale Spencer rated it really liked it
Just became a vegetarian in Jan 2013 and this was my first cookbook purchased. I bought on recommendation of a friend and I love it.
Linda
Oct 12, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
three stars b/c no pics, but my fav tofu recipe is in here...
Heather
Oct 26, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Another triumph. Amazing recipes that I turn to again and again.
Debbie Vanover
Another book that helped me make the change to eating vegan

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
jessica
Apr 10, 2007 jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: craftsandcooking
i like these books. unless your a committed vegan i would steer clear of some of the baking recipes though.
Oct 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vegans, people who think about veganism, everyone.
Recommended to Jennifer by: I found it at the bookstore on my own
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this at the same time I bought How It All Vegan and neither was a disappointment. Lots of delicious recipe's and no animal cruelty.
Joshua
Jan 13, 2008 Joshua rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
They kill me with the cutesy photos of themselves every three pages. This is not a good thing. It's a cookbook, a few pictures of the author(s) is fine, but show some pictures of the food!!!
Tara
Jun 04, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
Another great book. I love to read this one and better yet the easy recipes and great ideas!! IT funny and a good read by itself.
Dorota Nocun
Jan 04, 2014 Dorota Nocun rated it liked it
Shelves: vegan
A lot of good recipes, but this book seriously lacked in the picture department. I like to know what the food is supposed to look like! Cookbook with no pictures of the actual food? Boohoo!
Alison
Feb 27, 2012 Alison rated it it was ok
I prefer to use 'How It All Vegan', the duo's first cookbook. I find this one is somewhat redundant, and rarely consult it anymore.
Grrrl
Jul 04, 2007 Grrrl rated it it was amazing
all of their vegan books are wonderful. great recipee, entertaining to read, and very good information.
Lily
Oct 10, 2007 Lily rated it it was ok
this book was not so hot compared to how it all vegan. it looks like lots of people sent in/shared their recipes with them. i like theirs better! not as many successes for me with this cookbook.
Dec 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I found this one mostly a re-hash of the first book, How it All Vegan, which I use a ton. I rarely use this book and will probably donate it.
Kerri
Jul 24, 2012 Kerri added it
Shelves: vegan-cookbooks
I liked the following recipes:
- No-Bake Pie Crust
- Suzy Spoon's 2-Layer Chocolate Mud Cake
- Maureen's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Riki
Riki rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Usama Zubair
Usama Zubair rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Anjula Maryann
Anjula Maryann rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Erin Carragee
Erin Carragee rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
  • La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipes for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies (500 Cooking (Sellers))
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Express
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Party Vegan
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Sinfully Vegan: Over 140 Decadent Desserts to Satisfy Every Vegan's Sweet Tooth
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For—From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday