Start by marking “La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy” as Want to Read:
La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy

La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,335 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Sarah Kramer is a vegan cooking superstar. Her first two books, How It All Vegan! and The Garden of Vegan, co-authored with Tanya Barnard, have sold well over 100,000 copies; How It All Vegan! won the Veggie Award for favorite cookbook of 2004 by VegNews magazine, and Herbivore magazine, in a cover story on Sarah, called her “The World’s Coolest Vegan.”

Sarah returns with h
Published October 1st 2005 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about La Dolce Vegan!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Dolce Vegan!

J
I was a little skeptical of this one since a) it is huge and b) it is without Tanya, but once you actually plow through the thing there are a ton of great recipes. Again, this cookbook does what the series does best: show you easy, relatively inexpensive ways to cook vegan. This book is a little heavy on the faux meat recipes for me but it's pretty easy to substitute with tofu or some kind of mushroom. A definite must for anyone trying to cut down on meat or animal by-products.
Barry
This is a vegan cookbook with a focus on simple recipes. Most recipes can be on the table in less than 30 minutes and generally use ordinary ingredients. In that respect the book is great and really suits people with busy lifestyles.

The reason for the high star rating is that within days I had cooked a bunch of recipes and everything has turned out GREAT! In my book, that makes this book a big thumbs up and is the measure of any cook book.

The downside to the book is that I found the format of th
Sara Nia (Tea and Parchment)
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this gem. I really enjoyed not only perusing through the recipes (and they all look fantastic), but also reading about the authors experiences as a vegan and her life path that lead to her writing this book. It really shined a light on the reason and intention behind why the book exists in the first place, and that really made me feel good as I read it. This is something that is very, very important to this author. Cooking and recipes and cruelty-free eating is someth ...more
Lisa
I have had this cookbook on my shelf for several years and I use it so often I decided it is time to write a review. Just this morning I was looking for particular recipes for a bridal shower and after scouring all my cookbooks, I chose 3 recipes from La Dolce. This kind of thing happens all the time.

La Dolce Vegan is my kind of cookbook, and maybe it's yours too. Here is why I love it so much:
1. I am not a good cook (read: actually pretty terrible), but the recipes are quite foolproof
2. The rec
Chrissy
Oct 03, 2008 Chrissy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: busy vegans.
Recommended to Chrissy by: Amy
Shelves: cookbooks
I received this cookbook as a birthday gift, and I'm so glad to own it! Author Sarah Kramer's passion for vegan cooking is apparent from page one.

This particular book is geared towards the busy vegan, who is committed to eating well but doesn't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. Most cookbooks specify which recipes are quick and easy. This book specifies which ones take longer, because the majority are quick and easy by default, which I really appreciate. There's a good variety of eats
Rashida
Perhaps two stars isn't fair, because I haven't actually tried the recipes. But I'm returning the book to the library without trying anything because the format of the book got in the way. This is supposed to be a book that makes it easy and quick to do vegan. But there is nothing easy or quick about a book without a table of contents for the recipes, so you either have to read the whole thing or randomly flip through and hope you find something you would be interested before spending half an ho ...more
Ticklish Owl
I wrote a long, detailed review and then GoodReads ate it. Oh, the irony! To summarize:

I'm an experienced, adventuresome cook (radicchio is the only food I really don't like). I've been vegetarian for 20+ years. I also have an egg allergy, and frequently veganize recipes for this reason.

I tried several recipes from this book. They were ok, but none of them were outstanding. Some were bland, others didn't come together flavorwise (Spicy Tomato Kale Pasta). Peas and carrots in Hot & Sour Soup
Javier
Sarah Kramer may be a camera-whore, but there are some really great recipes in this book! Of course, I don't cook from recipes usually...but I do love to use these as bases for "recipe-less" or "recipe-inspired" cooking :)

My favorite are the biscuits, to which I usually add a bunch of herbs (garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary), use half whole-wheat and half-regular flour, and a little more salt. Because our household is so big, we usually make 2-3 batches at once.

Sarah is also in the habit of incl
Polly
Feels a lot like the earlier, co-authored books, and that's not entirely a good thing. A lot of the recipes sound very much like slight re-hashes of recipes I'm already familiar with, and I'd really appreciate some pictures of the finished dishes.
Wai'ala
This is my all time, favorite, fail safe cook book! I've owned it since it's release and its been my true blue ever since. Though I'm no longer a vegan, this book gave me quick and easy recipes when I was becoming a vegan and all throughout the years I was. I was even able to put together a delicious 4 course vegan Thanksgiving fest a few years back that was loved by both meat eaters and non meat eaters alike. It's a great book if your interested in the dietary change or life style or if you jus ...more
Sharron
I have all of Sarah Kramer's cookbooks. This is her first one she wrote solo. You won't find anything particularly new, however, I liked the simplicity of most of the recipes. This cookbook is filled with down home, comfort type foods such as vegan "meatloaf" and pot pie. There aren't a lot of exotic ingredients you can only get at Whole Foods and Sarah promises most of the recipes can be finished in 30 minutes or less. This is my kind of cookbook. If you are already good at substituting vegan i ...more
Angela Wattie bourbs

So, my tastes may be more sophisticated. However, I am cooking for a family of five who are being coerced by yours truly into Vegan eating. They are happy to oblige if the food is yummy and not too dating. Sarah's recipes make my family happy. That makes me happy! Her recipes go together quick. This book is a must have.

I like to cook with healthy, whole foods. I put off buying this book due to ratings suggesting it were otherwise. That is simply unfair. There are a wealth of recipes here. Most
Grace
Sep 17, 2012 Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: vegan
There are some good recipes in here, but there are way too many recipes that are very similar to each other with nothing to explain what makes them different (this makes it feel poorly edited/tested, as many recipes feel like they could have been combined, with notes on variations you can make). I wanted to make peanut butter cookies today, but there was nothing to indicate what the differences were in the finished cookies in the 2 recipes here, which are inconveniently not next to each other in ...more
Eva
Oct 08, 2007 Eva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in tasty, healthy food
Shelves: cookbooks
Most cookbooks promise much more than they can deliver. Not so here. Sarah Kramer has recipes that I have actually incorporated into my daily menu. She has me eating couscous for breakfast and loving it almost as much as I used to love bacon.....well, OK, I still love bacon. But I love little piggies more.
Plus, Sarah is just cool. She is chic, and her sense of style bleeds (no pun intended) into her tattoo art. I strive to be as much of a culinary adventurer someday. After medical school. For n
Serena
I have recently returned to my vegetarian lifestyle. I am considering going vegan, but I am not there yet. However, I do make vegan recipes. I love this series of cookbooks and Ms. Kramer has two others. I own How it All Vegan and I plan to buy this one as well. I really like La Dolce Vegan because the recipes are for 2-4 people. I never have inordinate amounts of left overs and am less likely to throw anything away. My favorite in this book so far is Emira's Speedy Gourmet Kale & Tofu Delig ...more
Kristina
Aug 11, 2008 Kristina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans and anyone interested in being more conscious about food
Sarah Kramer from How it All Vegan goes solo on this cookbook/crafty guide/inspirational journal. This book taught me how to make my own seitan as well as a body form made of duct tape (which might be the most valuable DIY project I've ever made). Sarah seems really charming and down-to-earth with her cutesy comments, photos, and tips littered throughout the book. You almost feel like you know her just by reading her recipes, and whipping up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Holly
In most of Sarah Kramer's book, I've had hit or miss recipes. There is one in her series of books that I love and have used many times (with some changes). It's a meatloaf that I can't remember the name of, but it was named after the cow that jumped over a fence to escape being slaughered. Otherwise, I have ran into some strange end results with enough of these recipes to decide that I didn't want to risk trying any more of them.
Camille
I find the organization of this book a little difficult to wrap my head around, but once that's in order, this is a friendly and accessible how-to to tasty vegan eatin' and livin'. Totally functional, with lots of advice on how to manage your kitchen in the DIY-tradition, there's a fairly wide variety of recipes and options for all occasions. Just make sure you have your post-it notes in hand to flag favorite recipes.
L.
Since my son is on a GFCF diet, I thought about becoming vegan for the last year. The problem is A. my husband is a hardcore carnivore B. I love junk food. Turning 40 and hearing that this would be the my body I would have for the rest of my life was my motivation for changing my diet in the end. The recipes are simple and require a minimum of staple ingredients. I found everything at a Whole Foods market.
Jo
There are a lot of interesting recipes in here but I was completely put off buy no pictures of food but a million pictures of the author in various poses to show off how cool and vintage she is. I can't even bare to look at her face after reading through the book once. Needless to say I haven't made anything yet. I did bookmark what I want to make though so I will go back at some point.
Carlyn
Jan 24, 2008 Carlyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bellinghamsters, Seattlites, & anyone who loves yummy food!
Shelves: cooking
You don't have to be vegan to love this cookbook! The recipes are fabulous--phenomenal flavors, clear language, and most don't take all that long. This book has been my Bible recently and has taught me so much and given me oodles of noodles of new confidence in my cooking. Come to my house, I'll show you. =)
Debbie Vanover
This was one of the first books I borrowed from the public library when I was researching vegan eating. It was also one of the first books that convinced me that I needed to make the change (and buy this book)!

veggloverherbaltraditions.wordpress.com
feedmeveggies.blogspot.com
theherbnjungle.blogspot.com
AJ LeBlanc
Tanya Barnard, Sarah Kramer & Isa Chandra Moskowitz are goddesses who I discovered the summer I went vegan.

I'd like to get back to being a vegetarian and stay mainly vegan, and these books will once again rule my world.

Even if you're a hardcore meat-eater, there are recipes here that you will love.
Elizabeth
While I enjoyed the recipes in this book that I've made so far, I got really tired REALLY fast of Sarah Kramer's face. I want pictures of FOOD!
There are also some handy guides in the back and some really fun things like household cleaning stuff, 100 uses for salt, and other DIY ideas
Shellie Foltz
I never really cooked until I found La Dolce Vegan. My now worn copy was given to me as a birthday gift and it's one of my most treasured. The recipes are great, this writing is hilarious. Besides that, it has some really fun photography!
Lisa Vegan
Jun 05, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: novice cooks & new vegans & everybody who likes easy to make delicious food
Fun book with a lot of humor, which is my favorite kind of cookbook. Quick & not difficult to make, easy to get ingredients, delicious results. Especially useful for new vegans & those cooking for them, and appropriate for novice cooks also.
Shannon
There are some good recipes here, but there isn't much complexity in flavour and texture. I appreciate a lot of the content, but I prefer more professionally developed recipes. This is a worthwhile addition to the cookbook shelf.
Ashley
This book is wonderful. I like recipes that are fast and easy, and this is it! The recipes are amazing and you don't need 50 ingredients. It's nice to be able to cook the comfort foods without all the nasty ingredients.
Erik Mallinson
This cookbook contains the best seitan recipe I’ve found, and five or so recipes for flavoring that have not disappointed. Worth the price of admission alone. There’s also a great, basic scrambled tofu recipe.
Lynn
Oct 14, 2008 Lynn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any foodie.
Lots of advice and recipes. This is more than cookbook. I would venture to say its bit of cookbook meets domestic goddess, though heavier on the recipes than advice. It makes a great cookbook addition.
  • The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!
  • Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For—From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Vegan Express
  • Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-free Lunches Kids and Grown-ups Will Love!
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
Sarah Kramer is the co-Author of "How it All Vegan!" and "The Garden of Vegan"; her first solo cookbook, La Dolce Vegan!", was published in 2005. She lives in Victoria, BC, with her husband where they own/operate the Tattoo Zoo. When she's not under the needle she's in her kitchen creating vegan masterpieces and maintaining her popular website, GoVegan.net.
More about Sarah Kramer...
Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road Go Vegan! 2011 Wall Calendar Negotiating the future of europe - an analysis of the convention's procedural arrangements The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again! How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet