Start by marking “Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy” as Want to Read:
Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy

Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In the sumptuous style of classic Italian cuisine, this collection of delectably authentic recipes reinvents vegan. Mouth-watering dishes burst with fresh fruits,vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and healthy fats like olive oil - all within an animal-free diet, ideal for lactose-intolerant eaters and vegetarians, too. Delicious Italian food was made for bountiful and flavor- ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by HP Books

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Italiano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Italiano

Dyan
Jan 06, 2008 Dyan rated it it was amazing
What I like most about this book and Vegan Mediterranean is that she sees no need (as I don't) for meat substitutes and uses no seitan, tofu, tempeh, etc. Absolutely wonderful!
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 Whitaker rated it really liked it
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Julie Merson
Oct 31, 2014 Julie Merson rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite cookbook. I've had it for about a year and a half, and it's amazing. Simple, excellent, and utterly delicious recipes. I've only made a handful that were okay, and none of them bad. My favorites include pretty much every risotto, Linguine Bolognese, Wilted Spinach with Garlic and Pine Nuts (who knew cooked spinach could be so friggin' delicious??), Lemon-Thyme Polenta with Roasted Vegetables (very different, unique flavor), Lemon Pine Nut Rice, and The Penne with Roasted Vege ...more
Kelly
Oct 12, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Why hello, never ending vegan pasta bowl!

I received a copy of Donna Klein's Vegan Italiano for Christmas - and in the few short months that I've owned it, I've managed to tear through nearly three dozen recipes. This is unprecedented for me, cookbook hoarder and master procrastinator that I am. But I also love, love, LOVE pasta, and since the dishes all sound so incredible, my biggest challenge was choosing just one to start.

(As it turns out, the inaugural recipe was Frying-Pan Pizza, and it wa
Eliza Mansuetto Uribe
Nov 12, 2009 Eliza Mansuetto Uribe rated it it was amazing
This book it what I have always wanted as far as healthy cooking goes. I am 80 percent vegan. I try to only eat meat and dairy products mostly on the weekend and vegies, beans, grains, fruit, etc during the week. My husband is a meat guy so I am always trying to come up with recipes that he would also like during the week. This book has really bridged the gap. Not one recipe has those strange vegan foods that people get repulsed by like textured vegetable protein, tofu, soy mayo and soy cheese. ...more
Kristen
Mar 16, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
I really love many of Donna Klein's other cookbooks, so I've given this one a couple chances now, but it just doesn't work for me.

First, it relies too heavily on ingredients that really MUST be at their absolute peak to make a dish good. Tomatoes in February ain't going to do it. Secondly (and maybe I've just gotten used to her super-quick recipes in other books), some of these recipes seem needlessly complicated -- and not for any great result. Linguini with broccoli sauce has you blanch brocc
brendan
Mar 03, 2013 brendan rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites. These are already-vegan traditional recipes, so no tofu and soy cheese here. I think every single dish I've made has been great. The recipes can work for anything from a work-night dinner to a romantic meal to a tailgating feast.

The soup section is especially useful. Other highlights include about a dozen pesto recipes, crostinis/bruschettas, and the only marinara sauce recipe you'll ever need. There's only one recipe each for stromboli and calzone but they are both killer.
Rainchilde
Apr 13, 2010 Rainchilde rated it it was amazing
Every recipe I have made from this book has been a hit! This is my go-to book when I'm looking to make a nice yet simple dinner. The book is filled with informative "Cook's Tip" boxes and each recipe has the nutritional information at the bottom. I highly recommend this book (and the Farfalle with Sun-Dried Tomato-Mint Pesto on page 53)!
Debra
Nov 11, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Looking forward to making many of these delicious recipes. Three cheers for nutritional information on every recipe. The negative is that presentation often runs to the next page. I am never thrilled to have to turn the page for a few sentences of instructions.
Monika
Dec 17, 2011 Monika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, food, wishlist
I tried the Braised Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Kidney Beans on page 118 and Spaghetti with Olive Oil on page 76 and they were mouth watering. Can't wait to try more. One of the best cookbooks I read.
Maggie
Sep 02, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
I really like this author's cookbooks. They're all vegan but instead of things like "tofu ricotta" & tofutti cream cheese, etc. -- she uses much simpler, authentic ingredients. Beautiful!
Christina
May 17, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This had some good recipes - but it's hard to make Italian food vegan. If you want to do Italian vegetarian - my favorite is Unplugged Kitchen.
Happyreader
Feb 21, 2008 Happyreader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-drink
Just as good as her Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. If you're looking for good soups, salads, or pastas, this is a good starting point.
Brittany
Sep 02, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
How does she make it seem so easy?! Lots of good nutty "cream" sauces. Risotto, anyone?
Alisha Hanson-Glatzel
Dec 11, 2012 Alisha Hanson-Glatzel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, cookbook, vegan
So many amazing recipes!!! My 2 year old eats almost anything I cook from this book.
F.P.
May 30, 2013 F.P. rated it it was amazing
A staple cookbook for me.
Hannah
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery, vegan, italian
Yummy food!
Courtney Blake
Courtney Blake marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Ana J. Jesus
Ana J. Jesus marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Pete Apple
Pete Apple rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Vanessa Jalil
Vanessa Jalil rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Yvonne Hawley-Wall
Yvonne Hawley-Wall marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Joy Rondeau
Joy Rondeau rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Roxy Lonergan
Roxy Lonergan rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Liz Winn
Liz Winn rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Eden
Eden marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Alma
Alma marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing