Start by marking “How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet” as Want to Read:
How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet

How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  4,008 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Vegan food is fabulous food, full of flavor and all the nutrients you need. With fun illustrations and a cool, punky sensibility, How It All Vegan! will tempt you to join the Vegan Empire. "Written with sass, style, and a sense of humor. More than just a cookbook. . . ."—BUST
Published July 1st 2002 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How It All Vegan!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How It All Vegan!

Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vegans, vegetarians, those who love cookbooks
This is a good book for beginning or long term vegans. Unfortunately, at first didn’t see the bee products which aren’t vegan, but I do have it on my vegan shelf anyway because it’s such a unique and fun read (one of those many cookbooks I can happily read from cover to cover), and the recipes are easy to prepare and not intimidating for beginner vegans & vegetarians. I must say also that even if you are not a vegan/vegetarian, I’d still recommend this book. It’s written by 2 Canadian women ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 17, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan, cooking
This was the first vegan cookbook I purchased and it taught me a lot about vegan cooking techniques. It also taught me how to "veganize" some of my favorite baking goods with healthier alternatives. We are not vegan but I do my best to sneak in vegan meals whenever I can.

I've tried many of the recipes and our hands-down favorite that I make every week are the chocolate peanut butter cups on page 134. These things are a gourmet delight and are so easy to make. Find yourself some healthy organic
Joanna
Sep 23, 2007 Joanna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vegans, vegetarians, health-concious cooks
Shelves: keepers
This book is filled with a lot of great vegan recipes that sound, for the most part, very easy to prepare. It's written in a very informal, fun style. As you can tell from the looks of the two girls on the cover, it's not pretentious. It's not preachy either, since people become vegetarian or vegan for all different reasons. Of course, you don't have to be a veghead to get something out of this book.

In addition to the recipes, there's some good info on substitutes you can use in any recipe for m
Anne-Marie
May 04, 2010 Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
I am really loving this cook book. The recipes seem more simple than the ones in Veganomicon. I've made eggless egg salad twice and last night I made some maple nut brownies (sans the nuts). Both of these only have a few ingredients and I can make them super fast AND they turned out delicious. So delicious that I ate the entire pan of maple nutless brownies in about 10 hours.

There are also recipes for cleaning and beauty products.

I've never checked a cook book out of the library before but I'm s
Bucket
Nov 20, 2014 Bucket rated it it was ok
okay, so this is a cookbook. mostly i'm reviewing it here to remind myself not to go through the effort of hunting it down once again only to realize that--just kidding!--i've already read this lame cookbook a thousand times. this is a vegan cookbook for people who aren't vegans and/or don't know how to cook. i don't need another recipe for stir fry (OH MY GOD!!!), grain burgers, vegan muffins, smoothies, or zucchini bread. f'real. this cookbook is fucking boring.
Marley
Jul 31, 2007 Marley rated it really liked it
I haven't tried everything but it all looks edible and easy to make. The cookies are great for your lactose-intolerant friends and what the recipes lack in explicit instructions they make up for in enthusiasm and gusto.

there are instructions in the back for making your own toothpaste, skin cleansers, and a list of 40 things you can do with vinegar. Great resource when cooking for a crowd with many allergies, sensitivities, etc.
Maria
Aug 02, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-cookbooks
I was more than a little excited to receive a review copy of the classic vegan cookbook “How It All Vegan!” by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. It had always sat in the back of my mind as one of those books I should have on my kitchen shelf. The book was first published in 1999, when, frankly, it was exciting enough to find even one vegan book in a regular bookstore. After trying it out I can see why this title is still around even with the myriad of new offerings available in stores.

The book im
Kim V
Nov 27, 2009 Kim V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you or you loved one’s been affected by the “Thanksgiving Day Dilemma?” By tradition Thanksgiving is a meat-centered day. However, while most Americans celebrate the holiday many hosts or guests, do not eat meat. Hence, millions of hosts or guests are experiencing the Thanksgiving Day Dilemma of what to serve, or bring, to accommodate all palates.

Coming to the rescue of vegan challenged cooks everywhere is How it all Vegan the 10th anniversary edition by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. How
Nikki
Jan 23, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Vegan Newbies
January 2-3, 2012

I was hoping for more inspiration from this cookbook than I received. I generally do not follow recipes (unless they are baked goods) so I prefer to be inspired by recipes rather than following each and every ingredient. However, this book is geared more towards vegan newbies than an ol' pro like myself. The soups in the book seem to offer the best bet when it comes to the book (I am generally a good judge of whether a recipe will be good). I bookmarked some of the soups but lar
Marcus K
Feb 19, 2008 Marcus K rated it it was ok
I'm not quite sure why people like this cookbook so much. Granted I'm not a vegan anymore, but I never much liked the recipes in here. I used to think people only liked this one cause of the hip young folks on the cover, but I should probably give my friends more credit than that. As far as vegan friendly cookbooks go, I'm more a fan of classics like the Moosewood Cookbook. And, if you want the cookbook author to be someone young and hip, I'd recommend the lovely and talented Isa Chandra Moskowi ...more
Catherine  Mustread
Sep 19, 2010 Catherine Mustread rated it it was ok
Disappointing, although I should have been able to tell from the title (and other reviews) that this is a book aimed at beginning vegans and is full of why/how I became a vegan as well as sections on vegan lifestyle. I had hoped to find at least three new recipes that would tempt me to cook but found zero. Biggest problems for me was the apparent need for a blender and many of the entrees contained what I would consider large amounts of vegan cheese. Not that I don't eat vegan cheese, but 1-2 cu ...more
Winonah
May 24, 2012 Winonah rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for someone looking for substitutions for the prepared foods you grow up with. Whether you're vegan or just needing to remove an animal ingredient from your diet, this book has creative solutions for anything. A few other books I tried could give incredible, even gourmet recipies, but that's not what I needed. I was starting from no skill in the kitchen and a new set of dietary restrictions. Their style and enthusiasm makes it fun to read. This is the next best thing to ...more
Nov 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Vegans, people who think about veganism, everyone.
Recommended to Jennifer by: I saw it at the bookstore
Shelves: cookbooks
My first vegan cookbook! I love Sarah Kramer and she can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. I keep coming back to these recipe's again and again. The Gorgous Guacamole and Holy Moly Hummus will always be my standard snack foods. I have never had a Guacamole that compared. Most taste bland in comparison.
This book basically convinced me that I could go vegan.
Susanne
Aug 22, 2012 Susanne rated it really liked it
Are you ever finished with a cookbook? I've read it and marked a lot of recipes to try and I'll post back when I tried them. Love the "How It All"-part and a lot of basic information like how to do your own of a lot yummy things.
Danielle
I really enjoy this cookbook. They have great tips, substitutions and fun ideas to keep the kids busy. But a lot of the recipes require tons of ingredients and there are lots of leftovers. quick and easy vegan cookbooks for the single lady. anyone??
Grace Dadoyan
Nov 18, 2014 Grace Dadoyan rated it liked it
Good for a beginner vegan but not so much for an experienced cook.
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 Whitaker rated it really liked it
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Julie Wall
Jan 04, 2017 Julie Wall rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Very helpful in leaning how to be a Vegan. The recipes are somewhat easy but if you don't have an ingredient they offer you others to choose from .The authors can be contacted on their website which is nice
Juliet Jeske
Dec 01, 2012 Juliet Jeske rated it liked it
Not my favorite cookbook. I think it just comes down to the fact I don't share the same taste preferences as the authors. I find some of these recipes to be oddly spiced. And some are just a bit too extreme for my taste. But to each his own, as another friend of mine loves the cookbook. He has made nearly everything in it. The cookbook is well laid out and the illustrations are great, as are the instructions. I prefer food that tastes as close to mainstream cuisine but just happens to be vegetar ...more
Stephanie
Oct 28, 2007 Stephanie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vegans, everybody who likes traditional American cooking
Shelves: cookbooks
This was my second vegan cookbook and I have to say it took me ages to try any of the recipes.

The recipes call a lot for special vegan foods which are neither healthy nor available everywhere and rely heavily on tofu.

Most of the recipes I tried turned out pretty bland for my tastbuds, others I don't bother to make because they are not even real "recipes", but things everybody knows to do unless you're a complete beginner in the kitchen (eg how many recipes for vegetable soup does one cookbook n
Morgan
Mar 04, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
The only issue with this book, is that the author/editor/publishing company decided/forgot/did not bother to include an index! It is intensely annoying to have to flip and read through every page looking for something. I often choose other cookbooks for the simple reason that this one does not have an index.

Of the recipes I have tried, they are good.

The reason I bought the book is that, while my family and I consume meat/animal products, we never seem to have anything available for cooking or b
Nov 19, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
When I was in college (1999-2003, to get you in the mood of the era) and living in a vegan/veggie/macro (depended on the month) co-op, this book was a LIFELINE. Perfect basic recipes for making lots of food for a group of people with varied nutritional needs/demands, and a good intro to substitutions (for eggs, etc). However, I can't say it has aged well. When I looked back at HIAV (and the sequels) now, they seem so carb heavy, and somehow nostalgic of an earlier day of vegan living. Still some ...more
Jen
Jun 02, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
I thought this cookbook had some interesting recipes. The information is very helpful to new vegans. However, it is not what I would call healthy eating. There's better books for that. The photos of the retro 1950's people are really cute, and the writing style makes the book easily accessible. I adapted a few of the recipes when I made them for my husband, making them oil-free. I can't make much of the stuff in here as is for myself since I have trouble with gluten and soy. The authors don't re ...more
J
Jan 23, 2008 J rated it really liked it
Shelves: veg-cookbooks
The later books are better (there are a few dud recipes in this one) but this is a good place to start. The Asian Creation and the Shepherd's Pie are definitely always on my standby list. Most of the recipes are easy, fast, and don't call for extravagant ingredients. The only consistent problem I had is that without halving the ingredients for any of the pie recipes, I ended up with tons of extra pie filling, perhaps enough to make a second pie. At any rate, this was the first vegan cookbook I g ...more
Alex
Apr 22, 2009 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking, own
Lured me in with its retro-hipster graphics, but it greatly disappointed with a pathetic index (a great sesame noodle recipe isn't even listed under 'noodles'?) and frustratingly vague ingredient list, at least for this admitted food snob (1 tbsp. oil? um, does it even matter what kind?). Useful for inspiration and I do like the 'recipes' for eco cleaning and beauty products, but take the food recipes with a large grain of salt.
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This book, like its sequel, really was enlightening to me. It doesn't concentrate on how to make tofu or soy ten thousand ways, like how some vegan cookbooks read to me, a non-vegan. I found numerous recipes that are already dishes I make fairly regularly but with some different spice or ingredient twists to consider. I like how easy and reader-friendly all the recipes are. This book was borrowed from my local library but having read it, I desire to add it to my cookbook collection now.
Dec 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I've had this since about 2000 when I found I was sensitive to dairy and eggs. This is a practical book with great recipes! I've prety much read it from cover to cover and have used recipes from it many many times over the years. I find this first book much better than the second book, The Garden of Vegan.
I must admit I have used this as a Vegan-Plus-Meat cookbook (adding the occasional meat or fish to one of their recipes) as this has worked best for my body's needs.
Michelle
Aug 05, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
I found this book very helpful when I was vegan a few years back and trying to figure out some mainstays. I found a couple of good ones, like the tofu scramble, and a good ketchup recipe that my son loved.

I haven't used it in a while because I haven't been vegan for a few years now, but it was indispensible for.me when I was. And you can bet that I would use it in a minute if I were having vegan guests.
jessica
Feb 01, 2007 jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: craftsandcooking
I'm not vegan, I just wanted to find good recipes that would help me incorporate more veggies into my diet. This was the first cookbook I found that had lots of good recipes that were easy to follow. I used to get discouraged by cookbooks that would call for ingredients that I didn't recognize or cooking techniques that I didn't know. This book is really simple. It has an awesome recipe for a mean black bean burger!
Lily
Mar 06, 2013 Lily rated it it was amazing
DIY Vegan introduction for anyone making the switch to veganism. This guide is amazing with all the different recipe it supplies besides food, lotions, house cleaning products, hair products, tooth pastes, a long list of non animal ingredients. Its a must have for any DIY household and an excellent read. Although I did find some of the recipes were a little dry so I did alter them a bit but besides that amazing book.
  • La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World
  • Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For—From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Vegan Express
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipes for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook