Start by marking “Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne, #1)

Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,285 Ratings  ·  489 Reviews
Detective Inspector Tom Thorne now knows that three murdered young women were a killer's mistakes -- and that Alison was his triumph. And unless Thorne can enter the mind of a brilliant madman -- a frighteningly elusive fiend who enjoys toying with the police as much as he savors his sick obsession -- Alison Willetts will not be the last victim consigned forever to a hideo ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Avon Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepyhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepyhead

Tea Jovanović
Sjajan autor... ovo mu je prva knjiga u serijalu... Nažalost, nije dobro prošao kod naše publike, što zbog loših korica, što zbog nikakvog marketinga izdavača, a kasnije nisam uspela da mu nađem drugi dom... Ali ne gubim nadu... Britanci su snimili nedavno i seriju Thorne po prve dve knjige serijala...
Mark
Dec 13, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Recommended to Mark by: Tracy and Chloe
This is the second book that has come into my temporary possession from the 2012 World Book Night (WBN). This one came to me through the good offices of my friend Tracy who picked it up on holiday abroad so it had, since April 23rd 2012, already travelled across an ocean or two. Having read it, my duty is to now make sure its journey continues. WBN is a great way of encouraging people to read and experiment with genre they might otherwise not taste. It’s like Goodreads imposed on the whole world ...more
Lou
Oct 26, 2011 Lou rated it really liked it
This was my first read of Mark Billingham's novels and his character Detective Inspector Tom Thorne. Nearly ten years on now when this debut was launched and I am guilty of not reading many British authors when it comes to crime and thrillers, I have loved John Connolly and his character Charlie Parker and read quite a few in the series and read maybe one Ian Rankin. I am impressed, the was pace was good and he got me on the perpetrator of the murders I did not see it.This was my first read of M ...more
Anna
The premise to this is very good. As with most mystery-thrillers, a serial killer is on the loose, but in this case, he doesn’t actually mean to kill. He wants to induce his victims into a locked-in syndrome coma, but when the procedure goes wrong they end up dead, much to his annoyance. Oops, poor psycho. The ‘right’ victim survives in hospital, attached to a ventilator and feeding tube, only able to communicate through blinking, but with a fully conscious mind.

The book didn’t live up to its po
Victoria
Unfortunately this book failed to excite me at all. It wasn’t wonderful, it wasn’t terrible - it was just... average. The plot was straightforward and without any complexities, despite some strange elements to the murders themselves. I had hoped that the title character of this series would stand out in some way, but I did not find him to be particularly sympathetic at all. His obsessive nature was off-putting, and it was difficult to muster up any positive emotion for him whatsoever. The cartoo ...more
Susan
Jun 24, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book featuring D I Tom Thorne. When Alison Willetts is found in a deliberately induced coma, it seems that her survival is not the mistake. The mistake was the three young women previously found dead and Alison's case the first the killer got right. Thorne must investigate and soon finds himself involved with Alison's doctor, Anne Coburn, despite the fact that one of her closest and oldest friends is his prime suspct.

There was much I liked about this book. Thorne is a typical o
Amy
Mar 13, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What woman doesn’t want to be known for just her mind? Most women would bend over backwards to find a man who could appreciate what she was thinking, not what she was wearing or how full her bra was. Being waited on hand and foot doesn’t seem like such a bad idea either does it? People to feed you when you are hungry, bathe you and adjust your bed when the pillows need fluffing? Sounds like the life, doesn’t it? You can have all of this and more.

All you need is a night out, in England, with a cr
Robert Beveridge
Jan 22, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Mark Billingham, Sleepyhead (Avon, 2001)

What is it about British mystery authors cranking out excellent first novels? Nicci French, Mo Hayder, and Minette Walters have all waltzed down the pike in the last decade and taken the world by storm. Now you can add Mark Billingham to the list.

Billingham's first novel, Sleepyhead, is about a truly twisted individual, even more twisted than Hayder's birdman-this one's dead bodies are failed experiments. What he's really after, he gets in Alison Willetts,
Siobhan
Whilst I am a lover of this genre I can honestly say that for some reason I have never been attracted to the Thorne series for reasons I’ve never been entirely sure of. In fact, had it not been for the fact that a family member gave me the book to read I probably never would have picked up the book. I know that there is a rather large Thorne fan base out there, but for me, after reading it, I can honestly say that I am not part of that group.

When offered the book by aforementioned family member
Dipanjan
Jun 10, 2014 Dipanjan rated it it was ok
"Sleepyhead" was first experience with the work of Mr. Billingham. This book introduced me to Tom Thorne, a DI in London. It's a serial killer novel. The twist promised was what had made me buy this book. Rather than actually trying to kill his victims, the perpetrator is trying to paralyse them by pinching a spot in their neck for nearly two minutes in an attempt to cause a stroke in the victim's brain stem. If done perfectly, the victim cannot do anything more than blink even though their brai ...more
Jemidar

This is not your usual crime thriller as the killer is not actually trying to kill his victims and the women who die are his 'mistakes.' It's an interesting premise because by having a victim who survives with 'Locked In Syndrome' it allows the reader to experience the helplessness victims of crime feel when somebody else makes decisions about the worth and value of their lives. Alison's story is told with humour, courage and compassion which IMO lifted this story above the ordinary tale of cop
Linda Shubeck
Feb 24, 2013 Linda Shubeck rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
A terrible book. The characters are not believable. Worse yet, we are provided with the thoughts of the victim (who cannot speak or move). These portions of the book are so awful that it left me wondering if the author knew any women at all. I know, extremely negative but the book was truly awful. I would give it a negative rating in "black holes" (as opposed to stars) if that were only an option.
Vicii
Jan 26, 2015 Vicii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say firstly that I got this copy free from Amazon (as part of a promotion and this was my choice from 5 options). I'm so pleased that I choose this book as it's just my kind of read when it comes to detective novels.

It had me guessing right to the end as to who the "killer" was and I did the usual of changing my mind a couple of times, but essentially I was convinced that same as Thorne... good job I'm not a detective in real life!

I'll definitely put Mark Billingham on my "follow autho
Best Crime Books & More
Feb 18, 2014 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
Mmmm, I feel very torn with this review and I will tell you why. Having never read any of the Thorne series of books by Mark Billingham, I decided to make a marathon catch up session and start with his debut novel Sleepyhead (released in 2001). The synopsis sounded pretty amazing and I started the book with anticipation. The reason I say I am torn is because I have really conflicting emotions. The story, writing and plot was flipping amazing and it took me no time to devour the book. On the othe ...more
Helen
I'd been meaning to get around to reading Mark Billingham for a while, the couple of books I have had been waiting patiently on the heap as I've worked my way through my respective piles of bought and borrowed books .. I so wish I'd moved Sleepyhead nearer to the top of the pile, this is the best British crime-thriller I've read since the Stuart Macbride series!

Superb pacing, totally engrossing plot and didn't let on who the bad guy was until the penultimate chapters. I also thought the insights
Sbeam
Aug 11, 2015 Sbeam rated it it was ok
Maybe if the main character could stop drinking he'd have figured this out a lot sooner. And what police detective forgets his cell phone in the middle of a serial killer case, especially since he was already attacked. This guy was just too big a dumbass for me to like.
Jim
Apr 07, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
A serial-killer mystery with a twist. A young woman is in a coma, a victim of a botched murder attempt committed by a murderer who has already killed several other women. However, DI Tom Thorne realizes that the young woman's survival in a coma isn't a mistake, rather her fate is what the killer intended. The women who died were failed experiments.

This is a creepy, suspenseful mystery, with strongly-written characters. Mark Billingham did a good job of keeping me guessing to the end.

As a genera
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, gifts
An original story line involving characters that I really liked that had dimensions to them rather than the card board personality cliche's that some books have. Yet there was something irritating about this book that I can't quite put my finger on. I tend to read quite fast yet despite really enjoying this book it seemed to take me an age to read. For reasons I can't explain this book couldn't seem to hold my concentration for more than about 10 pages at a time, Especially for the first half of ...more
Ainsley
Apr 20, 2012 Ainsley rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
With the exception of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels, I'm not much of a reader of this particular genre. I picked up Sleepyhead because I caught part of the TV series on HBO. I wanted to like this book, and at parts I did find myself caught up in the story and really enjoying it, but then Billingham would lose me again. I simply neither believed in nor cared for his lead character, Tom Thorne, and I found the relationship that Thorne develops in this story completely unconvincing. The mos ...more
Martin Sharp
Apr 02, 2012 Martin Sharp rated it it was amazing
I was given The Burning Girl a while ago and really enjoyed. I thought it made sense to go back to the beginning with Thorne, Holland, Hendricks et al and I'm delighted I did!

The story revolves around a series of seemingly unconnected deaths, all put down as stroke victims. Nothing to get excited about until a smart doctor realises that a survivor was deliberately attacked and put in to a coma-like status that leaves her mind perfectly functioning, but her body effectively dead. Locked-in.

Thorne
Joe Stamber
Jun 05, 2015 Joe Stamber rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2015
A new series and a new protagonist for me. I've seen Mark Billingham's novels in the stores and decided to give him a try when "Sleepyhead" came up as a Kindle Daily Deal. I wasn't disappointed. Tom Thorne is a great character. Sure, the damaged cop with a ton of baggage has been done before, but not always as well as this. Thorne is endearingly human, with all the faults and weaknesses that go with it. The plot is fascinating and Thorne has an able supporting cast. I was pleased to see that the ...more
Gill's Great Book Escapes
Dec 04, 2008 Gill's Great Book Escapes rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crime thriller readers
What an excellent read. Mark Billingham is a master of suspense with a little humour thrown in. Three murdered girls, the fourth left in a state of being paralysed but aware.

D.I. Thorne (with the wit of Frost (David Jason)) follows his hunch in which he is alone. The killer is playing a game with Thorne willing him to catch him.

The intricate story unravels slowly and unexpectively.
Gary
Jul 21, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it
The first in the series featuring Detective Inspector Tom Thorne.
A promising start to this series and I was entertained enough to want to read more.
The plot was interesting and slightly unusual, the characters were well developed and hopefully this will only improve as I read more of the series.
Ron
Apr 09, 2014 Ron rated it did not like it
Flunked the 100 page test. Couldn't see wasting my time on another 200 pages.

I suppose folks who are into this sort of detective novel will be entertained, if not captivated. Not me. I like Sherlock Holmes, and even Elvis Cole, but this guy doesn't connect.
Christine
May 24, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago and it was one of those books that stays with you. Mark Billingham is a fantastic author and has created a brilliant detective in Tom Thorne.
 Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it it was ok
We are introduced to Detective Inspector Tom Thorne in the first book of the series, 2001's Sleepyhead. Thorne is all about his job, an obsession that's left him with a reputation in the Metropolitan Police for being an awkward bastard and someone who it's best not to associate with too much if you have any care for your job. His latest case is a serial killer whose MO is to target women in their homes, drug them and then give them strokes by kinking an artery in their necks. Except the fourth v ...more
Fran
Mar 09, 2015 Fran rated it it was ok
My mum is a big fan of Mark Billingham's books, and encouraged me to give one a try. I could understand her enthusiasm at first - this book starts off so promisingly, the story of an "accidental" murderer whose genuine intentions are equally sinister, if not more so. Unfortunately the book is far longer than it needed to be, and ended up being one of those that is actually quite a slog but you finish because you've gone too far to give up now. This was not helped by the fact that I found the cha ...more
Wendy
Jul 25, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in London, this debut novel by Mark Billingham gives an interesting twist to the typical serial-killer theme. After 3 women have already been murdered, middle-aged Detective Inspector Tom Thorne finds a note from the killer on his windshield and realizes, Alison Willetts is not the killer's first mistake. She's the first success.
The first 3 women died due to constriction of the basilar artery. They were [given chemicals] and given intentional strokes. The killer left no marks. The work is vi
Richard
Dec 31, 2012 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
7/10

The first DI Thorne book in the series but one I seemed to have skipped. I started with the third in the series and continued from there but that was some time ago now and decided to read the first two books in the series before reading any further.

The plot was good and the whole locked in syndrome scenario was intriguing to say the least. I liked the passages where you were hearing the mind of Alison speaking of her nightmare being locked in like this and unable to do anything but blink.

Th
Erin
Sep 30, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michele Bishop; Kathy Lawson
Shelves: mystery-series
Found through 500 Essential Cult Reads, which is odd, because this is a fairly standard police procedural, except, well, it's so incredibly well done. Simon Serrailler you have a worthy adversary in Tom Thorne.

First, my copy - this is a UK series (just like Susan Hill's - I guess all the well-written detective stories come from England) and my copy came from there. Apparently SLEEPYHEAD (the first in a series) is so highly regarded that it was selected as a UK/Ireland World Book Night selection
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN mislabeled as Kindle edition but Nook 2 13 May 12, 2016 02:38AM
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
  • Relentless (Tina Boyd #2)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1)
  • The Wire In The Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • Chasing Darkness
  • Bear is Broken (Leo Maxwell #1)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Protector
Also writes as Will Peterson with Peter Cocks.

Mark Billingham was born and brought up in Birmingham. Having worked for some years as an actor and more recently as a TV writer and stand-up comedian his first crime novel was published in 2001. Mark lives in North London with his wife and two children.
More about Mark Billingham...

Tom Thorne (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2)
  • Lazybones (Tom Thorne, #3)
  • The Burning Girl (Tom Thorne, #4)
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Bloodline (Tom Thorne, #8)
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne, #11)