Start by marking “Sub for Hire” as Want to Read:
Sub for Hire

Sub for Hire

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  440 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Writer by day, sub for hire by night. Blond, built and as hot as they come, Josh knows his dream of D/s romance has no place in the dungeons where he bares his body for any Master's whim. Michael, piercing blue eyes, movie-star smile and compelling Dom persona, can have any man he wants with the snap of his fingers. On an impulse he checks out Dungeon Dreams, known for its ...more
Published August 22nd 2008 by Ellora's Cave (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sub for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sub for Hire

Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenDiscipline by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
74th out of 677 books — 990 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeSoul Bonds by Lynn LorenzEasy by Ally BlueBe My Boy by Casey K. Cox
Best Gay Rent Boys
27th out of 208 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryl Tyne
Oct 14, 2008 Bryl Tyne rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read with BDSM elements...talk about an eye opener. I kept hearing myself saying, OMG...OMG...and, because it shocked me, I initially gave it only 4 stars.

But, I thought about Claire Thompson's style as I was adding this book to my shelf. It dawned on me, that Sub for Hire is one of the more intimate stories I've ever read.

See, I associate violence with anger. YET, Thompson succeeded in pulling me into the story by illustrating every feeling, both physical and emotional
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Apr 25, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook
I really enjoyed this story. I think the previous bdsm book I read was so totally unbelievable and unrealistic that I was ready for something seemingly more serious, and this one just felt right. I liked that it showed two different sides to the bdsm coin - one side, the sub for hire, where doms pay a bunch of money for an hour session with a "professional" sub where very little emotion comes into play; and one side where the d/s relationship is deeper and more meaningful and involves more carin ...more
Beck
Jul 09, 2012 Beck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Possible spoilers ahead...

This was a nice (if predictable) premise for a book that was poorly actualised. You have a reasonably experienced sub who gets himself into a bit of a pickle because he ... wait for it ... forgets to use his safe word ... not once but THREE times. I could forgive the instance where he was 'abused' by Mario due to the fact Joseph was drunk, but the 2 instances that occurred in the 'professional' dungeon were just perplexing. Yes Sam over-stepped the employer/employee bou
Brina Brady
May 01, 2013 Brina Brady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, d-s, own, m-m, spanking-m-m
I really enjoyed every minute of this book. At no time was I bored at all. The story was simple with this gorgeous guy named Josh. He was blond and turned any room on fire.

He was an English professor, writer in the day but at night he was a sub by hire.

He worked for the Dungeon Dreams and became one of the stable boys up for rent.

He stripped down for any master who bought him so he could pay his living expense. He meets Michael who buys one hour with Josh and they both felt something. It is th
Shannon
Had I read this book back when I first started reading m/m BDSM I probably would have rated it higher but now that I've read some fantastic books it was just meh. We had some insta-love, non-con/dub-con and very nice scenes but I didn't get Michael. For a guy who's been burned so badly, he sure did connect with Josh awfully fast. No real hesitation at all. Josh, I got. He'd been looking and waiting so when Michael came along...yay! No big fights or misunderstandings. Nothing to pull at the heart ...more
Vivian
Jan 18, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-contemp
Enjoyable story with sincere emotions. i found the time jumps backwards and forwards to be distracting, plus I really have a pet peeve about MC as writers which undoubtedly pulls me out of the illusion of the story.
Trix
Dec 31, 2010 Trix rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-novels, bdsm
Well.. this was an interesting, though strange reading. After having finished another book by this author, I was sure all her works were going to be a pleasure. With a slight penchant for BDSM, this seemed like a good choice.

However, I had trouble immersing in the story and relating to the characters from the beginning. Maybe my knowledge of the BDSM world is very limited and as such, I cannot say for sure how real their reactions were. But even with that aside, there were still things that kept
Lexi Ander
Chris
Oct 08, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, gay, done, bdsm, 2010, owned, ebook
So-so kinky m/m romance about an author who works as a sub-for-hire at a professional dungeon until he can support himself with his writing. He can handle the job, as long as he's able to keep his emotions detached, because he actually longs for a loving D/s relationship. Again, I just can't engage with Claire Thompson's older books the way I can with her newer books. This was particularly challenging, because I wasn't overly fond of the dominant characters.
Adara
Sep 06, 2011 Adara rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Michael and Josh feel like a very good fit together, and the author does a good job of showing how Josh just doesn't fit with Sam or the other Masters and Lords who use the dungeon. I thought there was a section at the end that got a bit preachy and was unnecessary to the story, but otherwise I enjoyed it.
Lorraine
Sep 28, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was compelling and impossible to put down. I loved the building relationship between Josh and Michael and the difficulties in discussing their likes and dislikes and what else is going on in their lives.
So many relationships can fail because the parties aren't honest with one another about what is going on, and seeing Michael waiting, biding his time for Josh to actually tell him what was going on, rather than rushing in upsetting Josh with thoughtless words.
It showed a patience and ma
SheReadsALot
Jan 18, 2014 SheReadsALot marked it as to-read
That cover!

Drip.
Rain Carrington
Apr 06, 2014 Rain Carrington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta give an A+ for the dirty talk. There wasn't a lot but what there was ranked in my top five! The relationship was sweet although short. I would have liked the book to be longer and show more of these two but besides that it was a great read. Josh was yummy but stupid as hell! How could he not know that was Sam. He gets the award for most clueless! Love it! 4.5!
Fff
Nov 18, 2014 Fff rated it liked it
Livre choisi un peu au hasard, après avoir lu le résumé (et vu la couverture) je m'attendais à quelque chose de guère intéressant. Mais j'ai trouvé les personnages attachants et l'histoire plutôt bien conduite. Finalement ce livre est une bonne surprise même si pas mémorable.
TracyGee
Mar 26, 2014 TracyGee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I loved this book from start to finish.
Josh and Michael were made for each other.
Both have had a rough start with previous partners, they eventually find love with each other.
Amanda
Aug 30, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only part I didn't like isn't hat it had to end. Fantastic story.
Andrea
Mar 26, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd read 3/24/2015

BDSM with a lot of focus on the physical, a lot of sex but serves to advance the story. I loved the writing, story and characters.
Star
Jun 04, 2012 Star rated it really liked it

A fun read about a D/s relationship which starts in an unlikely fashion. A tad predictable but a fun read nonetheless.
Wendy
May 06, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. I am glad goodreads had so many good reviews to make me read it. It was a great book.
Meredith Norville
Meredith Norville rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Skm
Skm added it
May 09, 2016
Alexandra Bowers
Alexandra Bowers marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Fiz''
Fiz'' rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 24, 2016
Katie Polley
Katie Polley rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Aiysha Duncan
Aiysha Duncan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Katie Polley
Katie Polley marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • Forever (From Thirty Days to Forever, #2)
  • Bound and Determined
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Pet Rescue
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Healing Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #2)
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • Call Me Sir (Sir, #1)
  • New Leather
  • Secrets, Skin and Leather (Secret, #1)
  • Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)
  • Mastering the Ride
  • Uneven
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • A Strong Hand
  • Roughhousing (Rough, #2)
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
I have published erotic fiction and romance since 1996. My work includes the sensual exploration of D/s and erotic romance, as well as the darker side of BDSM. My work includes in-depth exploration of both m/f and m/m relationships, in the context of romance and D/s. I have published over fifty novels and short stories, both in print and ebook format.
It is important to me to write about real peop
More about Claire Thompson...