Start by marking “Front Cover: Great Book Jackets and Cover Design” as Want to Read:
Front Cover: Great Book Jackets and Cover Design

Front Cover: Great Book Jackets and Cover Design

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The 20th century witnessed the rapid evolution of the book cover from a functional layer protecting the fragile paper inside, into a sophisticated visual tableau through which the author's message is interpreted and communicated. 'Front Cover' is the first book to bring together the jackets and covers that have made the greatest impact over the course of the century, from ...more
Published September 13th 2001 by Mitchell Beazley

To ask other readers questions about Front Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Cover

Gerry
May 30, 2014 Gerry rated it it was amazing
As a lover of good dust wrappers, it is hardly surprising that I absolutely loved this book, which takes the reader through the evolution of the jacket from when it was simply there to protect the cover and pages within to when it became a piece of artwork and, as we well know for such as 'Casino Royale', collected in itself!

The lengthy introduction covers the evolution of the wrapper and then there are extensive sections dealing with a variety of publishers and their house styles. These are int
Lisa Battista
Apr 01, 2014 Lisa Battista rated it it was amazing
Alan Power’s aesthetic selection of book jackets are laid out on the page with one sentence caption as well as a short, concise and brilliantly to the point history of each category. The book is broken down by decades beginning with the 1920s ending in the 1990s with further subdivisions into an eclectic array of subject matter. Particular points of interest such as Penguin: The Creation of a Brand, Bond Novels and Author as Artists express to the reader the broad and yet specific subject matter ...more
Cara
Dec 02, 2011 Cara rated it really liked it
Overall, an awesome book. It's the British counterpart to the other book on book covers I read recently. Now I know, if I ever get sucked back in time to the 40s, 50s, or 60s, I'll go to England. They seem to have skipped the butt-ugly modernism stuff, or done a variation that's a lot more palatable. I like most of the styles in this book much better than the American one.

The only thing I really didn't like about this one is it often talks about other book covers that aren't shown in the book, o
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Reading more books about books or related to books, books recently. And if you like anything book related, then you'll like this one. Its basically different book covers, editions, and info, etc. Some of the covers I recognize like the Penguin classics. Interesting read.
Suzanne
Oct 07, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Good selection of bookcovers divided by time period. Good comments about what makes them great book covers. I wish the book had a little more pizzazz but it's a great reference.
Ika
Jun 16, 2008 Ika rated it liked it
this just came from amazon yesterday, and i spent a whole evening browsing through it. if you're interested in graphic design and book cover history (which i am because i always choose to design my own book covers), this has proven to be a very interesting reading.
Annette
Oct 06, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
Fascinating evolution of book covers - the thought behind, the art work.... something I wouldn't have thought would be interesting, with all the visuals and history, fascinating!
Tosh
Dec 16, 2007 Tosh rated it really liked it
My obsessive need to study others' book designs lead me to this book. This is a good one. It's good to know one's history before you can destroy that history.
Jamie
Nov 29, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
A concise and interesting way to delve into the history of book jackets with blurbs about different designers and publishers/imprints.
Kathleen Dixon
Jul 21, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
An excellent, comprehensive history of book jackets. Tons of illustrations (well, duh), and good written information.
Harry
Harry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Kristie Schmidt
Kristie Schmidt marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Alanna
Alanna rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Karin
Karin rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2016
Juwanda Juju
Juwanda Juju marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Terry Madeley
Terry Madeley rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Pixelpunk
Pixelpunk rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Sharon Rigby
Sharon Rigby marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alan Powers is a teacher, researcher and writer specialising in architecture and design.

Powers trained as an art historian at University of Cambridge, gaining an undergraduate degree and a PhD.

As a writer Powers has been prolific, writing reviews, magazine articles, obituaries of artists and architects as well as books. He has concentrated on 20th century British architecture and architectural con
More about Alan Powers...